CrazyBoards.org

ECT

jamiedolan

There's a thread going about it now, and there have been some long threads about it -- including first-hand experiences -- in the past. Use the board search function to find them.

If you go to the old YaBB board (there's a link around here somewhere) you'll also find quite a bit of information about ECT.

Fiona

I'm curious,

Have you tried at least two ADs with no response? 

I haven't had ECT, but I recently tried TMS (as part of a study) because I had convinced myself that meds were bad, and I wanted to be drug free.  Not only did TMS not work for me, it actually made me worse, and I nearly landed in the puzzle factory as a result.  I went on Cymbalta in the nick of time, and was stable enough to have a glimmer of hope within three days (yay meds!)

Don't get me wrong, when and if I get in a spot where meds can't get me out of the dark hole, I would do ECT in a heartbeat (although the possible memory loss sounds dismal).

Also, I've heard that other study participants are responding to the TMS, and it'a alot less intense than ECT, so that may be another option for you.  You can get it in Canada, or even join the study if you live in the right area in the US (I did it in Seattle)

Also, why high dose stimulants?  For a time, the only drug that I could take was Adderall, and while it did get me going enough to lift my mood somewhat, it was in no way  a solution to my depression, no matter how much I took.

-- Abby

Also, I've heard that other study participants are responding to the TMS, and it'a alot less intense than ECT, so that may be another option for you.  You can get it in Canada, or even join the study if you live in the right area in the US (I did it in Seattle)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You do have to meet study criteria to be taken into one. I was evaluated for an rTMS study about a year ago but didn't qualify because I was too depressed!

Fiona

Archived