CrazyBoards.org

How do you feel about being on a cocktail of drugs?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps because I went 15 years between becoming symptomatic and getting treatment, and I remember vividly how bad and impossible my life had gotten before I went on meds, I don't really care how many I have to take to stay well. As long as the side effects are manageable...honestly, I'd do a fan dance and bite the heads off of cockerels if it helped.

Perhaps because I went 15 years between becoming symptomatic and getting treatment, and I remember vividly how bad and impossible my life had gotten before I went on meds, I don't really care how many I have to take to stay well. As long as the side effects are manageable...honestly, I'd do a fan dance and bite the heads off of cockerels if it helped.

YES. This.

ADHD my whole life.

Trauma/depression/self harm starting at 12.

Severe depression from about 14 - 18.

Possible BP NOS stuff starting at 16, or 18. Most definitely by 20s.

Anxiety... most of my life.

Drug use from 14 - 26 didn't help.

Yeah... it ain't perfect, but I'm pretty content taking my meds.

I, like many others here, have a love / hate relationship with my psych meds. I hate the fact that I need to take a handful of different pills every morning just to function at a "normal" level, but also love the fact that they do fulfill that purpose most of the time. I mean, I think everybody with MI wishes that they didn't have any MI that results in needing prescription medications to treat it, but when being realistic about our conditions and qualities of life, I try to make the best out of a shitty situation by being happy psych meds are available.

I really do hate paying for them though lol :P One last thing I was gonna say is that one of the reasons I hate having to take meds is just the effort required to get them - logistically speaking, I mean. Having to see a psychiatrist every week, make trips to the pharmacy, keep track of how many pills I have left so I don't run out, remember to bring all my meds with me on vacation, and worrying about what time I'm gonna be home and whether or not I should bring my afternoon dose of valium with me to work or not is a pain in the ass.

Dealing with scheduled prescriptions for benzos and stimulants is also a huge fucking pain considering that they have to always be written without refills in the US, and trying to explain that you're on a stimulant for treatment resistant depression to a new psychiatrist who knows nothing about you is oftentimes very difficult. It sucks when you're on a cocktail that works, but doesn't seem like it should work based on stereotypes within the field of psychiatry, so that pisses me off immensely. :wall:

So in a sense my hbp med is also part of my coctail, as being off of it made other symptoms worse.

I totally agree with you. All meds are part of your cocktail, IMO. Blood pressure meds can sometimes calm people down too, so if you were more anxious I can see why.

I was just gonna say that I think medications that aren't psych meds but are needed in people with both physiological and psychological problems can be incredibly impacting in the way that they affect MI. As somebody who suffers from very severe Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis, the medications I'm on for those issues help me feel confident in my own skin (literally) and allow me to live my life without being even more anxious than usual about how people are perceiving me, etc.

Midnightman, I don't know about stimulants, but my pdoc writes my benzos with refills (I think 3, it might be 5). The only difference is that while the pharmacy automatically fills the rest of my scripts every month, I have to specifically call in to renew the benzos. But the refill is there, I just have to affirmatively ask for it.

Same with me ... I have to call in for the refills for benzos to be filled also. They wont automatically refill. Like crtclms wrote, the refills are there, you just have to physically call in for the Rx to be refilled (benzos). I am not sure about the Provigil I am on, because I usually call in for it anyway.

Edited by melissaw72

Wow, that's interesting. Does your doctor write the refills as a number within the box on a single script? New York State Law as of 2006 prohibits refills for any schedule 2 drug & benzodiazepines from being written, and only allows for a 5-day script to be called in over the phone for them. It's funny because this applies to schedules 2 and 3, but only to benzodiazepines for class 4. So, here my psychiatrist can call in a 30 day script for Ambien but not Valium, even though they're scheduled in the same group. So bizarre.

Actually now that I think about it, he only writes refills for my other meds, if he can't see me in 30 days, he increases the amount of pills by writing it for 2 or 3 times daily, to make sure I have enough. That way I don't have to call him for a refill. (I don't know if they will refill that over the phone?)

Wow, that's interesting. Does your doctor write the refills as a number within the box on a single script? New York State Lawas of 2006 prohibits refills for any schedule 2 drug & benzodiazepines from being written, and only allows for a 5-day script to be called in over the phone for them. It's funny because this applies to schedules 2 and 3, but only to benzodiazepines for class 4. So, here my psychiatrist can call in a 30 day script for Ambien but not Valium, even though they're scheduled in the same group. So bizarre.

Yes, my pdoc writes refills on a single script. Usually 3-4 at a time. The pharmacy will only accept (any med) over fax, email (it is linked to the DR offices). Maybe over the phone, i dont remember -- actually just to refill, yes, but not sure for a new med. My pdoc (and others) don't write out prescriptions ... actually neuro will write out for Provigil. Other than him I never deal with written prescriptions because they are done other ways.

Most of my prescriptions are transmitted electronically to my pharmacy for filling. However, my pdoc's office still writes out paper scripts (with refills) for everything.

In my state, a paper prescription is needed for schedule IV drugs (as well as a photo ID to pick them up) but the script can have refills on them. Schedule II drugs such as stimulants, however, must be written on a paper script with zero refills. I have 14 days to turn the paper script over to the pharmacy, who can then scan it into their system and hold it for up to six months. The doctors here can write three separate paper prescriptions to turn into your pharmacy at one time, but they must all be dated on the original prescribing day. My kids' pediatrician also writes (which is optional) "Do not fill until _____" on each script he gives me.

Sometimes I feel a little nuts, being sixteen and on 3-5 meds, depending on the seasons/vurrent life stressors. But I also know that without them I wouldn't still be here. I owe them my life, and I'm grateful. I've accepted it.

Edited by chicchick

I have absolutely no issue taking my psych meds as long as they work. Heck its just 2 more pills a day added on to my normal regimen of 4 antihypertensives and a slew of supplements. I have had a history of non compliance with all my meds before, not due so much to me not wanting to take then, but just not having enough money/no insurance to get them. I really wish I didn't have to take the bp meds though. Having a disease that could make my heart crap out is scary, and the fact that it came on in my early 20s as a female with a healthy weight sucks more. Plus all those blood pressure meds basically make me feel like a bump on a log, but meh...gotta do what ya gotta do right?

The State Boards of Pharmacy here limits scheduled meds to 6 months supply. Schedule II require paper scrip, no refills. I get all my scheduled meds in a 90 day supply, ie benzos, amphetamine, and Lunesta, and get one refill. My general doc writes most meds in 90 day supply, with refills for the year, as does my pdoc on the non-scheduled meds.

I took Ritalin as a child and it was very effective. It made a huge difference. I think this contributed to my pro-med stance. Still it takes time and effort to take as many meds as I do. I do lots of labs and see the general doc often to make sure the big picture is OK.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I don't have a feeling about being on a cocktail of drugs. As you can see, I'm actually not yet on a cocktail as others are/have been, but I suspect that I eventually will be and I have no opinion one way or the other as long as they work for me. My husband on the other hand who also has bipolar does not believe in medication for himself and he suffers and I watch it and it blows me away. But whenever we talk about it he says, I just don't understand why someone would want to live their life that way, constantly taking medications and knowing that you always have to take them. I always say I can't figure out why someone would want to live their life the way that you live it miserable and irritable and having mood swings and never happy or stable. I mean I take two pills in the morning and go about my day. It is almost like I don't even think about it, it is just like brushing my teeth or combing my hair or popping in my contacts. I just do it. I mean in my opinion it is better than the alternative. And even if I do have to take more meds and take them at different times of day, etc. I still don't think it will bother me any. The only thing that will bother me is if I end up with side effects, but even that is manageable. But being on medication is what it is. I'd rather be well.

Quite frankly, I'm over what "society" thinks. "Society" hasn't really done much for me, so I figure it isn't anyone's business what meds I take and why. Plus, "society" is better off if I'm medicated, trust me. I'm more normal than most people who think they are normal anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a heck of a lot better on medication then off. I have a very complex combination of disorders, which leads to a complex combination of drugs that help me function better. I believe it is necessary for me to take the medication. Other people don't understand why so many drugs are needed ,but I can't expect everyone to understand. In closing. I am okay with it.

I hate my cocktail. With a passion. I struggle with it on a daily basis. I have all sorts of reasons, none of them really "good enough" and all easily argued, yet despite that for me they still matter and they're still strong enough to sometimes affect me taking my meds, even when those meds might work and make me feel better. And the more drugs added to the cocktail, the more difficult I find taking them.