CrazyBoards.org

Ok, so I just got a prescription filled for 20 mg of Citraprolam, also known as Celexa. I've been seeing a psychologist who diagnosed me with depression, particularly dysthymic disorder. I also have generalized anxiety and social phobia. I would just like to know what to expect when I start taking the meds. I know that it takes a month or so for it to really start working and that all SSRIs are different for different people. Please just tell me about the changes you experienced and also about side effects, particularly if you have taken or are taking Celexa. Thanks :)

I was on Celexa for a while - you might have some side effects at first - you might be tired or foggy or have a dry mouth, or have some sexual side effects. Most times the side effects get better with time, so don't be discouraged if you do get them. Like you say, it takes time to work, so try to be patient. I hope it is helpful for you - I am no longer on it but I got some decent mileage out of it.

I curently am tirating back up to a mg between 40-60, when I first started takeing it in march I had terible GI issues, with incredibly lose stools. It got better with time (and then I added difrent meds that helped to continue the werid GI issues!). I also have dry mouth but who knows what med thats from, but this is more of an anoyance and makes me drink more water and thats good for me, becuse I was not a large water consumer beforehand. I went from 10, to 20, to 40, to 60. 60 worked for a long time then it was too much. I saw a doctor who took me off it completley tried another AD and now i'm seeing a APN who is working with me to figure out the right dosage between 40-60mg. Stupidly I also like how it is a relitivly small pill (the metform and the lamictal are so biggg! ::wine::)

But I find this to be incredibly helpfull in my anxiety and it helps to give the depression a floor. It also for me becuse its a generic very inexpensive, another huge plus in my veiw. But make sure you give it a few weeks re: side effects like those mentioned above. But if a serious side effect occours call your prescribor ASAP.

SSRIs are a quite safe medication, with low side effects profile for most people. The most annoying being perhaps the sexual ones, but they don't necessarily happen with everyone. Good luck!

Citalopram worked very fast for me when I first started to take it. To be honest, I believe I felt relief from the first dose which is highly unusual for SSRIs and all antidepressants. I have been taking citalopram on and off for the last 12 years, and it is the only SSRI that I had any kind of response to. Right now it doesn't help me so much with depression, but it really helps me with anxiety and that is why I am taking it.

I've had three really bad side effects from it. The first is nausea but that mainly went away after the first couple of weeks but I still occasionally get it in the morning. The second really, really bad side effect that I got is apathy. My depression makes me apathetic, but the citalopram made me apathetic about being apathetic. I was content sitting and watching TV day in and day out. Not really depressed, but not really living a life either. Nothing helped with that apathy until I started taking Abilify. Finally, I got some loathsome sexual side effects from it.

But it did help with the depression. This is just my experience with citalopram; your experience might be totally different.

Hi Brendan, what you're going through is exactly what I did about 4 months ago. The 20mg citalopram definately helped take the edge off for me. I felt more numb and apathetic than depressed but as a first step on the long road to correct diagnosis and hence correct treatment I took this as a welcome change. I found it slightly agitated my anxiety and paranoia tendencies but my doctor did warn me it might happen in the first month or so.

Similar to some of the other posters it caused some nausea and stomach/bowel problems in the first 2-3 weeks but these died down quite quickly, lethargy and constant need to nap during the day came in the first few weeks too. Some sexual dysfunction is the one side effect that unfortunately hasn't calmed down or subsided at all since I started taking the medication. Difficulties getting to arousal let alone climax has been difficult :(

As of today my doctor has double my dosage to 40mg to keep me at ease until I go for psychiatric hospital appointments next month. So if i notice any further side effects I will post here, but all in all my experience with citalopram was a pleasant one. Hope it's not too bad for you!

My only advice is once you start taking it, never go off it or take a different dose than prescribed without talking to your doctor first. It might sound obvious, but sometimes after a few weeks or months and you start feeling better, you think, hey I don't need this shit anymore... bad idea. I've been there (quite a few times). There are worse meds to go off cold turkey, but SSRI withdrawal effects everyone differently and it can be very dangerous. I'm not trying to scare you, it's just something to not fuck around with.

I was on an SNRI for a long time which is similar to SSRIs, sexual side effects were a biggie, and I also felt a bit spacey and flat at times. My experience with SSRIs has not been so good, I didn't get much from them (for better or worse). I hope you do.

I've been on citalopram for about three years no. I had no side effects from it whatsoever and it had a significant impact on my mood within a couple of weeks. Very good med for me.

I was on 40mg which the doctors in the UK say is the maximum dose. But it has recently been reduced to 20mg because I am manic. I refuse to stop taking it altogether though, because twice it has been abruptly discontinued on admission to hospital, and the results of that were disastrous for me.

Guest Comfortablynumb11

I hate SSRIs with a passion, I am however currently trying an anti-depressant that is not SSRI, Miritazipane(or something like that) and havn't noticed any bad side effects, though I cannot say its really done much for the depression yet if it even will

I've never taken Celexa but going on SSRIs has always been tough for me if its not a low, slow titration. Some I have found more activating than others, but generally I get jaw clenching, teeth grinding, insomnia, and big ramp up in anxiety in the beginning. My best advice to you is to give it time. Most of the worst side effects I have noticed tend to go away after 2 weeks or so. Of course if its unbearable or you find yourself feeling super agitated or suicidal let your doc know right away. Both have happened to me before.

It was horrible for me, however my mother has been on and off it for the past twenty years (incidentally since I was born, heh) and it always works like a charm for her when she becomes depressed.

It really very much varies person to person. Some meds just don't click with people. I've been on prozac for years and it just makes other people sick.

Keeping a note of any abnormal symptoms may be good if you're concerned. Typical ones of course, are your sleeping, appetite, restlessness, concentration. And I'd like to echo that you should never change anything about your meds without the docs say so.

Plus plus also and don't be too concerned about the side effects that people have said here, it doesn't mean it'll happen to you, and you shouldn't get too worried about it happening. There's plenty of people very happy on meds that I'd rather eat my own feet than take again.

I think the best thing you can do for yourself when starting a new med is to mood chart. There are some online versions, or you can do a simple hand-drawn or spreadsheet version, with the dates along the bottom and a scale of one to ten up the side. Then you put an 'x' every day for your mood, with 1 being suicidal, and 10 being the best you've ever felt.

The chart gives a quick visual portrayal of your mood for both you and your doctor. It also gives a more objective view, since it's hard to accurately remember your mood for more than the last few days immediately preceding a doctor's appointment. Also, no matter how bad I felt, I was always able to mark an 'x' on a chart.

Some people like to keep a journal as well, but most doctors don't have the time to read a journal, so a mood chart is much more useful. Good luck to you.

Citalopram did help me somewhat. I think I had a little headache the first day and reduced libido as long as I took it. It seemed to numb my feelings and make me apathetic but I was severely depressed and 15 years old at the time. They say SSRIs don't work as well for kids. Good luck Brendan.

I just started Celexa again. I can feel the effects almost immediately when I take it. I find it kills my anxiety but does nothing significant to the "depression apathy" I feel. But it's pretty much ALL that works for my anxiety.

I also have some disordered eating issues and Celexa squashes that too. Pretty instantly.

Edited by vectorgirl

When I took it I think it was a little over a month before I noticed any positive changes and I think that it worked pretty well. The side affects? I had GI problems for a couple of weeks. Headaches for a couple of weeks. And became an-orgasmic. Because the depression was handled I was willing to stay on it but my doc switched me off.

The sexual side effects can mess up no MI issues. Or make them worse because a lot of people don't understand why this happens. I agree 100% with the comment about giving it time to build up and to give time for side affects to dial down.

I was on citalopram for several months. I had mild side effects from it that died off for the most part after the first six weeks or so. The only serious problem I had with it was severe dizziness, which is an uncommon side effect. It did make me feel like my emotions were phoned in, but I was feeling pretty horrible with depression at that point, so I considered that an improvement. In all, I would say it was a useful med experience.