CrazyBoards.org

Did taking illegal drugs trigger your mental illness?

I agree with most of what everyone said. I've been living with MI for pretty much half of my life and I only started talking illegal drugs recently (MDMA and cocaine). I don't do them often, just use them for big night out. Pdoc said illegal drugs can trigger an episode. I think its true, am quite unstable atm. After, 24/11, I'll stay off them for a few months to make sure my episode is caused by those drugs

BarelyMe,

11/24 is a long way off, and you really can't ever be sure whether your episode was or wasn't caused by the drugs; they can be set off by so many things, and sometimes even by nothing at all. ...just be careful.

My tdoc tries to convince me that LSD (specifically LSD; she disregards all of the other drugs I've done) triggered my MI; however, I'll continue to call bullshit until she can show me scientific evidence backing up her claim.

The symptoms that I had before I did drugs are what lead me to use drugs in the first place. Back then I was willing to do anything just to feel better. Now, I have no doubt in my mind that my most severe symptoms emerged due to stress. My pdoc agrees and told me that the only thing drugs can trigger is an episode if you already have the predisposition to have one.

I believe her.

mambo_KT,

yeah, i am not sure what triggered my episode because my brain responded to my current anti depression med quite well last few months.

Now I am trying to increase my meds dose, if it doesn't work, then i will stop illegal drugs for few months

Now, I have no doubt in my mind that my most severe symptoms emerged due to stress. My pdoc agrees and told me that the only thing drugs can trigger is an episode if you already have the predisposition to have one.

I believe her.

my work is very stressfull so it could be the reason.

Guest Comfortablynumb11

I was mentally ill long before I really even knew what drugs were. I have used them both recreationaly, or out of curiosity and to self medicate. When it comes to self medication I just want to feel less f***d up than my brain makes me feel so essentially I feel more 'normal' with the aid of some substances than without. Trying to switch it up to just taking a proper prescription since the klonopin I got seems to help, thing is it seems hard trying to actually get a strong enough dose/prescription. I mean I have been trying to just use that for my anxiety and taking mizartazapine to help me sleep and help my depression I guess...but I still end up feeling the need to compensate for the relief I can't quite get from that. I did get the doctor to prescribe me the 1mg pills vs the .5 but not even sure that will be enough to keep it under control, especially if I don't compensate some other way. It's rather frustrating.

I was mentally ill long before I really even knew what drugs were. I have used them both recreationaly, or out of curiosity and to self medicate. When it comes to self medication I just want to feel less f***d up than my brain makes me feel so essentially I feel more 'normal' with the aid of some substances than without. Trying to switch it up to just taking a proper prescription since the klonopin I got seems to help, thing is it seems hard trying to actually get a strong enough dose/prescription. I mean I have been trying to just use that for my anxiety and taking mizartazapine to help me sleep and help my depression I guess...but I still end up feeling the need to compensate for the relief I can't quite get from that. I did get the doctor to prescribe me the 1mg pills vs the .5 but not even sure that will be enough to keep it under control, especially if I don't compensate some other way. It's rather frustrating.

How much klonopin are you/day?

I too have never tried any illegal drugs. Like Sparkle, my MI issues started in childhood - and were ignored, possible adding fuel to the fire within. I was also adopted as an infant, and have always wondered if MI ran in my biological family. Did my bio-mom suffer from MI? Was that 1 of the reasons she didn't raise me herself? I may never know, but I'll always wonder.

Edited because I forgot a word. Hate that.

Edited by pa_canuck

Guest Comfortablynumb11

How much klonopin are you/day?

well right now like 1mg a day, but I think two would be better when I get my next refill which is the 1mg pills she said to try taking two of those a day to manage the anxiety.

Comfortablynumb, have you tried any sort of CBT to deal with anxiety?

Yeah and it doesn't really help...If anything I just find it frustrating and don't really see how it is supposed to help.

Edited by Comfortablynumb11

My MI presented itself around age 12-13, and at that time I was (thankfully) not using any drugs. In my teenage years I smoked quite a bit of cannabis, and from ages 20-22 I was smoking it many times a day. Due to finances and the need to be clean for drug tests so I could find a job, I quit this past February. Since then my depression has been 95% better. Huge change in mood in general and mood stability also. So, overall, I didn't realize it at the time, but it actually worsened my MI.

I have often wondered this myself. I never used a lot of drugs growing up or as a teenager, but I did use LSD very, very heavily. I'm talking every other day for about a year and a half straight. LSD can seriously mess with your mind while you're under the influence, but whose to say that the effects don't last? A lot of chronic users suffer flashbacks for years and years after their last trip. I believe LSD would have a lasting impact on how you see the world in general, and yes, perhaps to the extent of paranoia, depression, delusions, mood swings, etc. I wish there was actual solid research on LSD use vs. incidence of mental illness. In my case, I've always had low self esteem but no depression or anything prior to my beginning drug abuse. I believe there is a relationship there, but of course that can't be stated as fact.