CrazyBoards.org

wellbutrin CAUSING add?

Anyone else get super spaced-out on Wellbutrin? 

After being on the downer end of the med spectrum since 19, my last doctor put me on 300mg/day to treat my ADD (didn't trust me with Adderall, dammit).  At first, I was delighted with the results in that, almost overnight, I went from being an alcoholic slug to supergirl -- cleaning, exercising, dropping vices, eating right, etc.  However, it didn't seem to do much for my concentration and after five months on this shit, my focus is ten times worse.  Having a lot of loopy, nonsense thoughts, couldn't follow the plot of Everybody Loves Raymond with a flow chart, and worst of all, I'm so inept at work that I'm quitting in favor of something a little less noodle-challenging. 

The punchline is that I'm just the assistant manager of a Godiva boutique.  I assign chores, calculate sales figures, and conduct the odd interview.  That's it.  Not slogging through med school.  Not writing software.  I sling dipped fruit and something called a "Chocolixir" for a living.  (Well, at $10 an hour, I'd hardly call it a living, but I digress...)

I'm horrified that after SEVEN years of spotty higher learning,  I'm so out of it I can't even run a fucking chocolate shop.  Needless to say, this has only exacerbated the fast dwindling self-esteem.  I'm still on all eight cylinders in terms of energy, but when people are talking to me or I'm trying to follow a movie, all I hear is yammering.  It's as though my brain is so preoccupied with psyching myself up to listen closely that I start to obssess to the point where I stop listening all together and just get pissed with myself for not being able to grasp whats going on around me.  Can't speak too well, either; find myself stammering and trailing off even though people have always identified me as articulate and charming.  Starting to think that maybe I never was -- like maybe all of my character flaws are just magnified now, but were there all along nonetheless.

So does this mean that because I'm experiencing the reverse of the intended reaction, I must not have ever had ADD?  Am I just naturally a 'tard and only now being made aware of it?  And how the hell do I get this new doctor to throw me some euphoria for a change and give me the goddamned adderall scrip?  The last time I saw him, I told him about the spaciness and the weird, vivid dreams, but he refused to prescribe me anything other than Ambien, saying that he was doing me a favor by not putting me on anything new.  But then, that was over a month ago, and though my memory is foggy, I'm assuming I was still able to string words together to form complete sentences.  I'd go get a second opinion, but this would be the fourth shrink in eighteen months; Humana is going to think I'm just shopping for drugs.

All right.  Sorry this was so long.  Advice?

I know for me Wellbutrin caused extreme anxiety.  And sometimes I personally reacted to anxiety the same as I reacted to ADHD caused restlessness.  So maybe the Wellbutrin is causing you anxiety, that mimics ADHD or impedes your concentration enough to make you behave differently.  But well, I hate Wellbutrin, so you might not listen to me ;)

Welbutrin gives me energy, but I haven't noticed any effect on my ADD beyond what Adderall does for me. But I need the energy. Why doesn't your doc trust you with Adderall? What about one of the slow release forms of Ritalin?

Archived