CrazyBoards.org

Vyvanse

I went to my new pdoc about two weeks ago. I had a list of issues I was having one being my Adderall 30mg wasnt doing crap anymore. So she put me on Vyvanse 30mg once a day. I had been on it before when I was first diagnosed, but took it twice a day. This new pdoc says its a once a day only dose. Well I crash in the middle if the afternoon, when before I would be taking a second dose. So my question is do I just need a higher dose, or do I need it twice a day?

I think Vyvanse is intended to be a once a day medication. I've had two kids on it, and they only take it once a day-- my eldest kid also took an immediate release Adderall in the afternoon to get him through the crash. I take Adderall XR & IR each day, and my other kid (yes, two ADD parents, four ADD kids) takes Focalin extended release and immediate release. So maybe you need to ask about getting an afternoon dose of another med that is immediate release?

Sometimes you can process it fast... Concerta is meant to be a once-a-day med, yet I seem to clear it in six hours. And when I had methylphenidate IR for the evening, well, it didn't help much since I clear it in about four hours, the final hour or so being me crashing. I initially processed this stuff fast, but not quite this fast. Still, irksome.

I take a booster of 5 mg dexedrine at 1 pm to get me through the crash from vyvanse in the afternoon/early evening. I have to take it so early because if I don't, I don't sleep at night.

Taking a second dose of vyvanse at 3 would be better for me, but unfortunately, my insurance doesn't pay for more than 30 vyvanse pills in a month.

• 3 weeks later...