CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mrjeff

Great quotes

Is this thread dead? If so, I'm hereby resurrecting it with my urn of Osiris for this really good quotation I came across while rereading Manic by Terri Cheney and had to share:

"Who would have thought, after all these years of longing for it, that normal still meant feeling, and feeling doesn't always mean feeling good."

It just struck me when I read it. It certainly rings true.

Some Carrie Fisher quotes:

"As you get older, the pickings get slimmer, but the people don't"

"I really love the internet. They say chat-rooms are the trailer park of the internet but I find it amazing."

"I was street smart, but unfortunately the street was Rodeo Drive"

"Instant Gratification takes too long"

"The world of manic depression is a world of bad judgment calls".

Peace is the result of training your mind too process life as it is rather than as you think it should be.-Wayne W. Dyer

"Sometimes I get a little sad, and I feel like being alone. Then I talk to my cat about it, and he reminds me I’m James Franco. Then we dance."-James Franco

Ill probably think of more later.

"To bait fish withal: if it feed nothing else, it will feed my revenge.
He hath disgraced me, and hindered me half a million, laughed at my
losses, mocked at my gains, scorned my nation, thwarted my bargains,
cooled my friends, heated mine enemies; and what's his reason? I am a
Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions,
senses, affections, passions? fed with the same food, hurt with the same
weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed
and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you
prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you
poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If
we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Jew
wrong a Christian, what is his humility? Revenge! If a Christian wrong a
Jew, what should his sufferance be by Christian example? Why, revenge!
The villainy you teach me I will execute, and it shall go hard but I
will better the instruction."

--Shylock from William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice

"...when a caterpillar enters the chrysalis enzymes dissolve it completely into fluid. Then, the entire body of the butterfly including all its organs and nervous system are rebuilt from the cells."  

I'm including this here because it occurred to me:

Even butterflies have had to break down completely before they could fly.

haHA!

Edited by Josie

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."  Aristotle

An internal summer:

"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

- Camus

The stars are my grandchildren:

"R. sat next to the old man, who at one point said "Do you understand the sky? Yes I thought you would, but it was I who made it."

To which R. answered, "I suppose you made the moon, too?"

The man nodded "And the stars, they are my grandchildren."

A rowdy woman clapped her hands and announced that the old man was crazy. "But, dear lady," he replied "if I am crazy, then how could I have made these beautiful things?""

- Truman Capote (Portraits and Observations)

That is good work:

"Rodin picks a mushroom delighted, and shows it to Madame Rodin... "Look," he says excitedly, "and that takes but a single night! In one night all these are made, all these lamellas. That is good work.""

- J.R. Jimenez (The Complete Perfectionist)

On the candied animals which spread insomnia like a plague:

"Children and adults sucked with delight on the delicious little green roosters of insomnia, the exquisite pink fish of insomnia, and the tender yellow ponies of insomnia, so that dawn on Monday found the whole town awake."

-G. G. Marquez (One Hundred Years of Solitude)

Edited by nightbutterfly

Some quotes from Khaled Hosseini "The Kite Runner"

“And that's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too.” 

“But better to get hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.” 

Edited by confused

I've got a whole notebook full of quotes I love somewhere.  I'll have to dig around in my Bag of Holding for it at some point, but these are a few of the ones I remember really liking.

You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.  - C.S. Lewis

If you ask me what I came into this life to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud.  - Emile Zola

The best revenge is massive success.  - Frank Sinatra

Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs

Don't be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.  - Rumi

"...when a caterpillar enters the chrysalis enzymes dissolve it completely into fluid. Then, the entire body of the butterfly including all its organs and nervous system are rebuilt from the cells."

I'm including this here because it occurred to me:

Even butterflies have had to break down completely before they could fly.

haHA!

This was inspiring. Thank you for posting it. I love it!

O God of Earth and alter

bow down and hear our cry,

our Earthly rulers falter, 

our people drift and die;

the walls of gold entomb us,

the swords of scorn divide,

take not thy thunder from us,

take away our pride.

- Gilbert Keith Chesterton

The truth of all predictions is always in your hands. - Iron Maiden, lyrics from Die With Your Boots On

I want to feel like I am floating, instead of constantly exploding. - Marina Diamandis, lyrics from Fear and Loathing

If you’re going to be able to look back on something and laugh about it, you might as well laugh about it now. - Marie Osmond

“I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow.” - Maya Angelou

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin

Albert Einstein: 

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning."

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

Syd Barrett: 

"I think it's good if a song has more than one meaning. Maybe that kind of song can reach far more people."

"I think young people should have a lot of fun. But I never seem to have any."

"Fairy-tales are nice."

Superstition brings bad luck.

- Raymond Smullyan 5000BC

Just like ice, lives crack, too. Personalities. Identities.

- Jeffrey Eugenides (Middlesex)

The brain may take advice, but not the heart, and love, having no geography, knows no boundaries: weight and sink it deep, no matter, it will rise and find the surface: and why not?

- Truman Capote (Other Voices, Other Rooms)

But I was no longer scared. I could see what was inside of me.

- Amy Tan (The Joy Luck Club)

We were clever enough to turn a laundry list into poetry.

-Umberto Eco (Faucault's Pendulum)

There are certain meanings that are lost forever the moment they are explained in words.

- Haruki Murakami (IQ84)

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

- Anton Chekhov

What is the difference between being alone with another and being alone by ones' self?

- Henrik Ibsen

“We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are dis-empowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.” ~ Terence McKenna

Blake-wow that quote is amazing

In the depths of winter i discovered there was in me an invincible summer -Albert Camus

Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used against you- Tyrion Lannister

Dont mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are gonna remember about me.-al capone

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.-Anne Frank

The begginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselve, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the réflection of ourselves we find in them.-Thomas Merton

Everyone i know is getting married or pregnant. Im just getting more awesome.-barney stinson

Faery, if you like that, google Terence McKenna on Youtube and check out some of his lectures. I don't subscribe to all of his theories, but I'd say at least 80% of what he says is pure gold.

"Pain is only a pulse, if you just stop feeling it." ~ Claudio Sanchez, "Time Consumer", Coheed and Cambria