CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
CirclesOfConfusion

Questions re: specificity of therapy approaches

I managed to drag myself out of bed and make it through class. Its a 3 hour class. Now I feel just exhausted, rather empty, still anxiously overwhelmed and jumpy, and still very very irritable. I feel that agitated buzzing in the back of my head and upper body. I just took another .5mg of ativan (can't do more all at once because its a 45 minute drive back) and ate some lunch in my office.

I have a p/tdoc appointment on Tuesday. Normally I have been doing every Friday for the last 2.5 months, but not this week (t'giving). I don't know if I should call in today or what. I doubt he will have any remaining openings today. Tomorrow I work the entire span of his office hours. Mondays he doesn't take outpatient appointments. I don't know if this is urgent enough to ask for special accommodation. I don't know what to say that will get anything but the chronic frustration the last 3 visits have been. I don't know if this is a good time to be messing with start-up effects of any new meds to squash this. Most of the time he's seen me high functioning and mostly anecdotally heard about the lows. I don't know if he will finally take me seriously about things feeling more complicated than the vague MDD-ish non-Dx he's always based everything on. I don't even know what *THIS* is.

Somehow I have to get my classes through finals in the next 3 weeks and grade all their work. I'm already behind on grading because I have not felt in the right mindset to pass the appropriate judgement consistently across 60 portfolios of work. I've crashed during semesters and dragged through it before but there are certain higher stakes in the game this time around that feel like they're sliding toward lost causes. I just really feel like shit and feel overwhelmed by the sense that whether I'm doing well or not impacts a lot of other people. I feel guilty for that on top of everything else that's just me fucking up my own life.

I think he needs to see/hear about the agitated buzzing/irritability.

You sound like you're in a horrible place, and I hope something helps.

Thanks, Red. I'll keep in mind the other stuff we talked about too.

Instead of going straight back to my other workplace to take care of stuff I was supposed to do, I went home first intending to take a short power nap to try to get through the rest of the day. I ended up knocked out for most of the last 13 hours so now its 5am, I'm still in yesterday's clothes, I've flaked out on yet more stuff that needs doing, and just still feel pretty crappy. I have to be back in class 4 hours from now to teach 6 hours straight. I feel slightly better than 24 hours ago, I'm not bawling right now and the agitation partially subsided. I just feel like an irritable pile of apathetic mush that's hard to pry out of bed for another day. I guess that means I should call p/tdoc even though I really don't want to.

So Wednesday was a horrible clusterfuck (multiple contributing factors) and I blotted out all 24 hours of t'giving with ativan because there was no way I was going to be chilled out and cheery for holiday dinners.

I am losing my employer-based insurance January 15.

This kills nearly all potential for changing p/tdoc anytime in the foreseeable future. I can get COBRA but then my insurance premium will cost 3-4X as much and at the same time my salary drops 1/3. (COBRA payments will eat up nearly half my paychecks) Welcome to insane academic hiring/firing/shuffling/oops-we-made-a-scheduling-mistake-and-didn't-tell-you-til-2 months-too-late-to-do-anything-about-ti. This was entirely preventable if someone had not made a mistake about their own schedule, and had not neglected to fix it in a way that didn't fuck me over completely. I could have made alternate arrangements in 3 other ways within the same employer system that would have retained my full time status. *IF* I had known in time. This is not my opinion, this is fact from the people who would have welcomed those alternate arrangements. Oh, and an apology would have been nice but that party holds mainly to the idea that they're doing me a favor with whatever leftover scraps of a schedule I happen to get. Beggars can't be choosers, eh.

If I sound bitter it is because I am right now.

I can't afford to pay more and I can't afford to pay 2 different docs. Seeing a 2 in 1 who had frequently given me pro-bono visits is the only way I've had ANY treatment at all for long stretches of the past several years. Ineffective as he is in helping me move forward right now, I have to believe that at least he is a safety net and point of contact with some sort of mental yardstick.

And this is only one of three major triggers to go off in one afternoon. Getting verbally accosted by someone with no right to even butt in on the business at hand let alone proceed to reprimand me with an incomplete set of information and an agenda of their own (note: I am technically in a position of authority over this person) blew the lid off any remaining shreds of emotional control for me. I cannot get into details publicly here but a few CBers know some of the back story here. It is a FUCKED UP situation.

This on top of feeling fucked up mood-wise and still with no reasonably defined course of treatment action to rely on as a guideline is making me feel far more crazy than really is necessary. I am sincerely confused about whether to treat certain issues I have that overlap Dx criteria in various ways. P/tdoc is perpetually in a "wait and see" or "lets talk about it some more" mode. I can't just keep living the same crazy episodes over and over again indefinitely in his passive way. I need to DO something and have some sort of guidance I can trust there along with me.

Is this too much to ask? I am not saying I am some special one-of-a-kind snowflake. What I am saying is that I am generally quite high functioning but I most definitely need help to treat the distinctly less well-functioning parts of me that threaten to bring down the whole house of cards. Those ill-functioning parts have already majorly fucked up other past opportunities and thwarted achievements and I see them threatening to swamp the whole boat if I don't get at the root of the problems better and sooner.

I feel backed into a corner or up against a cliff like a small animal and prone to lashing out irrationally like such. I apologize in advance if I look like I'm starting to do that. Call me on it firmly but logically and I will back down, I am a house-trained animal in that regard.

Well, fuck. I am so sorry. And angry. And I don't even know the half of it.

Now, it is triage time. You are right that you need some safety net for meds and a reality check. Maybe that is all for now. I look back and wonder whether my wheel-spinning therapy was not significantly worse than useless, especially the parts I spent saying "can't you look past the depression and see what else is wrong with me?"

I don't think that all of the standard emotional outlets are enough, but they are a safety valve, and they might carry you a long way toward a place in which you were covered for more thorough help.

If I had it to do over again, I would not medicate every potential second diagnosis as such, but I would also insist on a therapist who acknowledged every symptom and worked on the assumption that it would end up very well controlled, at a minimum, and possibly even healed. Much easier said then done. That is why, in your copious spare time, you might cast a wide net for less-qualified cheap or pro bono counseling of some sort, to act as moral support until you get in a better insurance situation, which I hope will be possible.

I actually think you are kind of a rock star for bearing up under that professional strain. I am glad for your loving BF of 10 years; I hope he is helping you with it.

I feel bad for being AWOL on this. We had a family situation. I know you have tons of support here, but I wanted to say "thinking of you."

OK, so after all this serious reconsidering of p/tdoc situation and what I *think* I should be looking to get out of therapy and which MI-ish issues/symptoms I think are my most disruptive problems... a curveball.

Yesterday's visit started with another discussion about the massive amount of things I feel are overwhelming and out of control right now. And somehow I ended up leaving with a highly unexpected suggestion of inattentive ADD as an underlying problem and a 20mg Ritalin script in hand. :blink:

When I have time later today I do have questions related to that that I will ask in the appropriate forum. In terms of the original purpose of this thread, well, since I am losing my employer insurance in a month the prospect of changing docs is a moot point for the moment. I am stuck with him for the near future on a reduced frequency schedule just for dealing with meds. COBRA premiums are nearly 3x what I pay now (plus my salary will be lower) and will eat up any money I would have been able to use for separate tdoc copays. Awesome.