CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Craziness

Adderall XR to Nuvigil, anyone?

Greetings,

My pdoc is switching me from Adderall XR 30 mgs. to Nuvigil. He's doing so because the Adderall doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. I also have extreme fatigue and lack of motivation to even get off the sofa. I've fallen behind on everything (i.e. house is a disaster, laundry is piled up like never before, etc.) so I'm in high hopes this switch will be a positive one!

If anyone has made this switch, or has any positive experiences regarding Nuvigil to share, I'd greatly appreciate hearing your stories. Thanks, in advance!

~Craziness

I've made that switch. The two meds are not comparable, which is not surprising since they're used for different things. I couldn't take Adderall XR anymore. Nuvigil doesn't seem to give me the same side effects. Oh, and I believe Nuvigil is not generic at this point in time. I think Provigil is now generic. Not sure if this makes a difference to you or not. It certainly does for me.

Nuvigil was sort of like Adderall Lite for me. Not even close to the same experience but that's what I need at this point in time.

It is somewhat apples and oranges comparing the 2. Try a higher dose, I took Provigil, Nuvigil's brother and it took 400 mgs. Provigil made me awake which goes a long way toward helping ADD and mood, still it is not amphetamine, like Adderall. On Provigil I could lie down and take a nap but that would never happen on amphetamine.

Thanks for your replies, sylvan and notfred! My pdoc is going to provide me with samples, so yes, that does matter, sylvan. I'm very grateful for that, as I'm sure my insurance wouldn't cover it. I appreciate hearing that you had a positive experience, and hope that you continue to have good luck with it!

The Adderall seems to have stopped working completely for me, and I failed to mention I already take 2 per day. I can, literally, take one and lay down and fall asleep for several hours. Quite the opposite of what you've experienced, notfred. While it may be a long shot, it's one that I feel I must at least try at this point. I just hope it allows me at least a few hours a day without the debilitating fatigue.

Thanks again to both of you! I appreciate you taking time to reply!

Best,

~Craziness

Sometimes stimulants can interfere with people's sleep because they can cause limb twitching and/or Restless Leg Syndrome. The lack of restful sleep could cause the fatigue.

Can I ask how your experience went? I’m switching this coming Monday from adderall to nuvigil, and am not sure what to expect. I am in the exact same boat. Adderall doesn’t work for me anymore. Falling asleep CONSTANTLY, and can never shake the fatigue. Really hoping that nuvigil is the answer to my prayers. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By mikl_pls
      I just started Nuvigil yesterday (200 mg in the morning) and after about an hour or so after my first dose, I noticed the onset of a very bad headache (not quite migraine quality, but pretty close to it). I've taken Nuvigil before, but only when it was brand name, and I was on 250 mg. Now I have generic made by Aurobindo.
      Has anyone who has taken this medicine experienced this?
    • By Blahblah
      Pdoc FINALLY upped Ritalin (LA) to 30mg in morning, and I take 10mg (IR) in afternoon. Been on consistently about 1.5 years (note, it’s a real pain to get it here, they treat it like street meth & it’s the most benign stimulant!!)
      I have bad energy crashes within 5 hours, then crave chocolate (which I usually dislike), I have more coffee. The IR 10mg in afternoon seems to do nothing. Trying the 20mg IR in afternoon, which might be better, but wears off in 2 hours, I don’t want to mess up my sleep or jack up my heart rate.
      Note, I’m not taking for ADD (but for depression add-on) my physical energy, alertness & motivation just crashes now. I just get tired & need to nap.
      Any ideas? (I’m 50kg) Pdoc says they dose per kg, usually 50mg-60mg max for me. If I increase again, I’ll quickly be screwed (it initially worked so well!). I know Adderall is more potent, but worried about neurotoxicity and irreparable brain damage when I eventually go off (don’t plan on being on forever). I’ve heard Adderall is more “speedy” and can be agitating as well.
    • By mikl_pls
      I am taking stimulants for numerous reasons--primarily for ADHD and idiopathic hypersomnia, but also because I'm obese and trying to lose weight (with diet and exercise of course) and because amphetamines heretofore have been the only thing that really make me a functioning human being.
      I was curious though. From y'all's experience, which stimulant inhibited appetite and/or caused more weight loss, that is, between Ritalin (and all their products), Focalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, or some other stimulant. I have actually even taken Desoxyn, twice, and to be honest, it's nowhere near as potent as Adderall or Dexedrine.
      To my understanding, appetite inhibition can be extricable from weight loss; i.e., one can lose weight from a medicine without experiencing much appetite suppression, one can experience drug-induced anorexia without losing much weight, or both at the same time, or neither.
      IME, so far, this is what I've experienced... I'll list the stimulant/anorectic and max dose taken.
      Appetite suppression/anorexia:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL (450-500 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Desoxyn (15 mg) Vyvanse (70 mg) Adzenys XR-ODT Metadate CD (20 mg) Ritalin (30 mg) Focalin XR (25 mg) Evekeo (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg) Tenuate Dospan (75 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg) Weight loss:
      Dexedrine (60 mg) Adderall (60 mg) Adipex-P (37.5 mg) Tenuate (75 mg) Dexedrine Spansules (30 mg), Adderall XR (90 mg) Wellbutrin IR/SR/XL Desoxyn (15 mg) Bontril-PDM (210 mg) Metadate CD (20 mg) Belviq XR (20 mg), Evekeo (20 mg), Focalin XR (25 mg), Ritalin (30 mg), Vyvanse (70 mg) Contrave (32 mg/360 mg), Tenuate Dospan (75 mg), Adzenys XR-ODT So I've not tried very high doses of the (dex)methylphenidate meds, and have been curious about trying a higher dose (40-60 mg, maybe higher). Focalin might be okay, but it gave me tremors, anxiety, and panic attacks at 25 mg. Vyvanse did nothing much at all except jack my resting heart rate up to 120+ BPM.
      This list was very hard to compile, and I don't really know if it's too accurate.
      I'm heavily considering trying methylphenidate again, specifically Metadate CD, because I actually felt something on it as opposed to regular Ritalin. I was considering asking my NP for a Metadate CD dose of 30-60 mg, or maybe 30 mg x2 or something like that, with some Ritalin 5-10 mg, maybe 20 mg, to take 1/2-1 up to three times per day prn.
      The tried and true med is Dexedrine for me, specifically the IR, but I want to give that a break for a little while.
      I'm curious to see how (dex)methylphenidate affects my ADHD more than it affects my weight loss/appetite suppression as well.
      I know this post was rather scattered and long, but if you made it through it, any input would be much appreciated!  
    • By Blahblah
      Just to preface, I don't take Ritalin for ADHD...it's more for Depression, motivation, procrastination, mental stamina purposes.
      Has anyone found that you get TOO focused on it? Maybe because I don't actually have ADHD, but I start working on 1 thing and become OBSESSIVELY focused on it (like it brings out the uber perfectionist in me). I forget to eat, I don't take breaks from my desk, and then my brain just shuts off from exhaustion. At the end, I've accomplished only 1-2 tasks.
      I have great difficulty switching tasks or getting all "priority" things done, because I get so stuck on working for HOURS on the same little thing!
      Basically, my processing speed is much slower, I can't adjust to "fast paced" situations, because I mull on things, make revisions over & over & over etc. On the other hand, if i go without taking it, I lay around, procrastinate, lack all motivation, and I'm unable to start anything at all. Not sure how to solve this? Do other stimulants work in the same way?
    • By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 
      My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.
      I have tried every medication under the sun (well, mostly) 
      The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 
      Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite conservative  and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 
      Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused.