CrazyBoards.org

Will there ever be a cure?

After each depression has passed and I'm well and good on the meds, I always ALWAYS believe, I've been cured. Mental illness is fucked up that way. I truly think that each time, this is it!! I'm allll better. And I go off the meds and 2 weeks or , 2 months,or  2 years "IT" sneaks back.

Will there ever be a cure for MDD? Personality Disorders? ADHD? Are there scientists working on finding a cure or is it just like the common cold?

Hi there!

I was pretty discouraged earlier this summer.  I was able to listen online to a Bipolar conference at George Washington Univ. Med. School.  Two of the speakers were the pre-eminent researchers in the field.  DR. Fred Goodwin, former director of the NIH and co-author of THE authoritative text on BP, and Dr. Husseini Manji, the leading neurochemist in BP.

There are significant advance being made in BP.  Dr. Manji showed a diagram listing 20 specific drugs/chemicals that are being tested. He emphasized that all the work is focused on the internal functioning of the nerve cells.  They are gaining much better understanding of the "secondary transmitters" that are inside the nerve cells.  This will allow them to use specifically targeted drugs, with much lower side effects.

The old methods of affecting external neurotransmitters like serotonin and norepinephrine are passe'.  It has been apparent for years that the drugs that are used for the external transmitters have unreliable effects.

Although this pertained specifically to Bipolar, I'm confident that it will yield benefits for other illnesses such as MDD, schizo, etc. Personality disorders?  Who knows, that is still a very tough nut for the Pdocs to crack.  On the other hand, better understanding of the brain with specific meds may yield a break through for the PD's too.

A.M.

I'm pretty certain that my personality disorder was caused by my environment and childhood abuse but think that if my parents and their parents weren't mentally ill, I'd have had a more wholesome environment, etc. But the mental illness part I am sure is genetic because my kids have been raised "normally" and show early signs of "weirdness", therefore my hope that there will be a cure.

It is encouraging to know that someone somewhere is trying to solve the big brain puzzle!! I appreciate your reply to my post  ;)

Genitics load the gun, life pulls the trigger.

Although they are now experimenting with

"pacemakers" for your brain.

I'll post it when I have a sec

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I manage a Supported Living facility for people dually diagnosed with  MI & DD (their illnesses range from BP, BPD, OCD, Autism, Asperger's, Seizure disorders, etc) I mention this because one of my residents has a VNS device that works to interupt his seizure activity..I believe it's Vagas or Vagal  Nerve Stimulators. I've read reports that they have been tried ''off label'' for depression!! Pretty exciting but the report I read, they didn't help everyone all the time (but then again, what does??)

It's hard to imagine wanting to do something irrevocable to your brain. Since as far as we know MI isn't something bacterial, contractable in the same way, it's hard to imagine curing it for all time. Who knows.

AM do you still have the link to that talk? I remember you posted it but I lost the URL.

Thanks

-

k

http://www.bipolarsymposium.info/

Here you go BlackMilk.  The site came back up after being down for some time.  Click on slide & audio in the lower left frame. You can see the actual PPT slides and listen to the lecture.  Fascinating stuff.

If I haven't replied to somethings youve asked. I apologize, PM me.  I'm havint to crash modify the boards and ended up just deleting post updates.

regards,

A.M.

Archived