CrazyBoards.org

Dextroamphetamine: Generic vs Brand differences?

iterate

I've been prescribed dextroamphetamine 10mg tablets (instant release, not spansule) to be taken 2x per day. The pdoc wrote "Dexedrine" on the prescription, but the pharmacy told me that brand-name Dexedrine only comes in 5mg tablets, and since the Rx was for 10mg tablets, they could only give me a generic called Dextrostat.

Seeing as how people often react differently to brand vs generic meds, I was wondering about others' experiences with generic dextroamphetamine (Dextrostat? is this the only generic available in the US?) compared with the Dexedrine brand. Any differences? Preferences?

Thanks ;)

according to my pdoc, who i actually trust and respect, unlike every other pdoc i've ever had, the fda requires that generics be 90% similar to the brand name.  meaning a generic could be 8-12 mg when the brand name is definitely 10 mg.  and since generics are cheaper, usually they're a little weaker.  so *shrug* that's just sort of a ballpark estimation, everyone is different.

• 2 years later...

Actually, my pdoc specifically has me taking the name brand from GlaxoSmithKline and it has made a huge difference. He has studied the effect with different universities over the years and they have deduced that it is the FD&C Yellow Dye #5 that causes it to have a greater efficacy. However, many people have adverse reactions to this particular dye, which makes the generics without it work better for them.

Doesn't seem 'right' to me, but he is the FIRST out of over a dozen pdocs that knew more about ADD and depression meds than I did. Before him, I reached the point of self-prescribing and obtaining meds from overseas (other than the dex, which my family doc had been writing for over a decade).

Just started on Vyvanse and curious to see how that works out. We will see.

Archived