CrazyBoards.org

terrible terrible chest pain.

last night i went to a very large concert (large for me, anyway, about 2000 people). i knew i shouldn't have gone because crowds freak me out so bad, so i had a couple of beers to tone down the anxiousness before i went. no help at all there. immediately upon getting there i felt trapped and got this enormous stabbing pain in my chest that last for the whole night, basically about four hours. i was so miserable i had to sit outside for a long time and just try to meditate myself out of it. i also came very close to throwing up out of freaked-outed-ness several times. the pain didn't let up when we left, and only when i got home and laid down in bed did i feel even close to okay.

i'm prone to panic attacks with the whole chest tightening thing, but those only last for a couple of minutes. should i speak with a doctor about this?

It certainly can't hurt talking to a 'regular' M.D. I think we (general we ) tend to think every symptom we have is either MI related or a reaction/side effect of our meds... but - it (general it .. meaning any symptom, really) could always be something else... never a bad thing to get a check up.

Good luck!

last night i went to a very large concert (large for me, anyway, about 2000 people). i knew i shouldn't have gone because crowds freak me out so bad, so i had a couple of beers to tone down the anxiousness before i went. no help at all there. immediately upon getting there i felt trapped and got this enormous stabbing pain in my chest that last for the whole night, basically about four hours. i was so miserable i had to sit outside for a long time and just try to meditate myself out of it. i also came very close to throwing up out of freaked-outed-ness several times. the pain didn't let up when we left, and only when i got home and laid down in bed did i feel even close to okay.

i'm prone to panic attacks with the whole chest tightening thing, but those only last for a couple of minutes. should i speak with a doctor about this?

Sounds like what you experienced was either a series of smaller panic attacks one after the other or an anxiety attack for the whole period, either of which are terrible.

What treatment are you undergoing?  Normally when panic disorder becomes full blown, you start to live in a world of shit and extensive therapy and medication is required.  A good dr should probably have you on an ssri with a benzo to take as required, at least for the moment.

No one should have to live like that.  Ive been there done that.  I understand what you are going through.  Ive got OCD, psychotic depression and panic disorder (partial remission), and whilst the first two have caused me no end of trouble, it was the height of my panic disorder that was the worst.  Just unbearable.

thanks to everybody that replied -- i've got an appointment for wednesday, so we'll see how that goes. i have to go to the uni's student health center since i have no insurance right now, but we have pretty good people working there. anyway, once the doctor there realizes i'm a total nutcase he'll probably refer me to one of the pdocs there at the clinic, which is great. maybe i can get a prescription for benzos to keep me from freaking out all the time.

Archived