CrazyBoards.org

Listing Meds - How to Explain "AntiPsychotic"?

I have a particular license and soon I'm going to need to give an update on my situation, including my meds.  I take a small dose of Abilify 2.5 mg at night half of the month, maybe the whole month I am not sure yet what my pdoc will decide.  But I'm very nervous about how to explain that I take an "anti-psychotic" medication.  And one that is used for schizophrenia, at that...  I take it for mood swings related to my PMDD, and it mostly helps me get to sleep (but not stay asleep darnit). 

I have looked and looked and looked, and can't seem to find anything, a study or site or anything, that explains how Abilify is used or helpful for anything besides schizophrenia or bipolar.  Does anyone know where something is that shows off-label uses for Abilify??? 

Also, does anyone know how Seroquel and Abilify compare in terms of dosages?  Like 2.5 mg of Abilify = ??? mg of Seroquel.  That was one I've considered since I did find things that talk about Seroquel being helpful for sleep.

Thanks!

Ahalo,

I don't have answers to all your questions

As far as med equivalencies, I suggest you do a search on Medline or Pubmed.

- Regarding the stigma of a drug being an "antipsychotic". What can I say.  Don't use the term if asked about it.  You can explain if asked that you are in fact NOT psychotic, but taking it for other reasons.

What is in a name? Drugs are developed for one purpose, are classified by that purpose, and then are found to have other uses.  Us Bipolars have the same thing, but with less stigma, since most of the mood stabilizers were originally developed as anti-convulsants.  Though many of them also use anti-psychotics.

Aspiring is an analgesic (pain reliever), right?

well it is also:

anti-pyretic (fever reducer)

anti-inflammatory

blood thinner

probably something else I've forgotten

Which is the correct classification?  They  all are.

Good luck with your license.

A.M.

I found an entire paper on this topic (shouldn't surprise, I guess!)  What's in a Name? The Evolution of the Nomenclature of Antipsychotic Drugs (it's a PDF).  Gives you a few other names to choose from, not necessarily better ones  ;) Buried in there is something about the FDA agreeing that they could be classified as "psychotropics", but that term covers a much broader range.  Do you HAVE to explain what the med is? Can you just say what you said here, that you use it for "mood swings related to PMDD"?

Info on other off-label uses; sorry, nothing specific for PMS/PMDD:

Aripiprazole as an augmentor of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in depression and anxiety disorder patients

Atypical Antipsychotics in Treatment-Resistant Depression

Drug development for anxiety disorders: new roles for atypical antipsychotics

Sorry, no idea about the Seroquel.

Thank you for the info... I also have anxiety so I can print out a couple of the pages.  I do have to explain what they're for.  It's a pretty annoying thing but I have to do it, and I've already been given some trouble in the past which is the only reason this concerns me. 

Guest Narcathex

Don't call it an anti-psychotic.  Call it a neuroleptic.  Still accurate, but avoids using the work "psychotic."  That should make all the difference.

i'm not sure of your situation, ahalo, but are you sure they have the right to ask what sorts of medications you're on and why? seems a bit hinky to me. i've been in a similar situation, probably for a different sort of license, but as they had no legal access to my medical records, i refused to disclose.

that said, if they are at all versed in psychotropic meds and what they do, they should be quite understanding if you explain you take it for an offlabel useage. (unless they're an insurance company and they have to pay for your meds, in which case they're probably asshats.)

ah so. i'd tell them it's a psychotropic medication and, if necessary, give them printouts of the websites listed above. would a note from your doctor explaining the diagnosis and the medication's purpose be helpful?

Archived