CrazyBoards.org

Sleep apnea and pulse oximetry

I brought up sleep apnea with my GP and he's having an in-home respiratory therapist set me up with an overnight pulse oximetry test today.  He said this will tell if I need to go to a sleep lab for more in-depth testing.  True?

You will learn to love your Cpap if you need one.  You will be amazed at how much it helps.

I have a BiPAP (I desat at night, need oxygen) and it is a godsend.  TOTALLY great for when I'm sick or extra tired but it's not bedtime yet.

The dr decided that the best move was not to perscribe a cpap but to have my tonsils removed and the septum in my nose streightened. 

Um, OK.

NO!!

;)

Shudder.  I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with that doctor.  Your description of the sleep study sounds about like what I'd expect ... how the heck are you supposed to FALL ASLEEP with all that going on?!  LOL

I might get a chance to find out.  Last night I had the pulse oximeter on my finger and my husband was reading in bed while I slept (he's the insomniac in the family).  He watched the read-out and said I was snoring and stopped breathing three times in the hour he watched.  Apparently my oxygen levels stayed steady (about 97%) but my pulse would speed up each time until I woke up.  Once it went from 60-ish to 90-ish.  He pointed out that there are two ways for the brain to get more oxygen:  take more in, or move the blood around faster.  Hopefully the doctor will also understand that concept.

Archived