CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone have any experience taking both/either of these medications in comparison? I just found out that my insurance plan will be dropping brand name Topamax and will only be paying for the generic.

I swear, my pharmacist is the best.  I had just yesterday refilled another script for something else online and she called me this morning to tell me the news about the Topamax.  She said that she would refill my script for another three months without a prescription from my doc so I wouldn't have to worry about it for now.  I think I still have about a month left at home so no panicking for now.

She also mentioned that some plans may still pay for the brand drug if a physician insists that it be taken.  Ugh...bureaucracy...

I think it's about $700-$800 CDN a month? I don't want to be paying that out of pocket.  Maybe the generic might be okay? Maybe if it's not a dosage tweak?

Any experiences anyone has had would ber awesome.

Thanks,

Karen

Does anyone have any experience taking both/either of these medications in comparison? I just found out that my insurance plan will be dropping brand name Topamax and will only be paying for the generic.

I swear, my pharmacist is the best.

Because I had to go through a maddenning ordeal with my disability insurance just to get Topamax, because they said there is NO generic...????

Unless this is recent, like in the past two months, there ISN'T a generic for Topamax for the states. I asked my pharmicist and he said he wouldn't trust a generic. It is coming out of India and China and there is no guarentee as to what it is.

Now I don't know about Canada, but I asked because we were looking into getting it cheaper online. He said if it isn't OK'd by the FDA - then you really don't know what's in it. Could be Topamax, but the filler is the unknown.

Just what I heard from what I consider a reliable source.

Breeze

The patent has run out in Canada--or at least Ontario.  It's been 7 years.  I don't know what the patent laws/durations are in the US and if they vary for certain drugs etc...  So, that means other folks can make it at a cheaper price and as a result, the insurance companies just jump on it.  Hey, why should they pay more if they don't have to!

My pharmacist said that it's all tested and blah, blah, blah...  and we all take generic this and that and they work...

Hopefully I won't have a problem.  Guess I'll find out.

Karen

you might ask your doctor and see if you can get your scrip written for Brand Only. in the US, at least, pharmacists will honour that, though i'm not sure if you can do that in canadia. it can be particularly important for epilepsy meds, though, because bioavailability can vary so widely. i wouldn't worry about generic topamax being unsafe, but your body may not process it as well, which could make it unsafe for you specifically.

but then again, your body might like the generic better. or you may notice no difference at all. as ever, ymmv.

I agree with halation.  It's called a DAW in the states--dispense as written.  Definitely made a a huge difference in what my old insurance paid on brand name.  It brought it closer but it was still a bit more.  Also if they run out of a certain mg tablet they can't change it either.  Like they can't give you twice as many fifites for hundreds.

Archived