CrazyBoards.org

When do you know it's time to go to the hospital?

Guest Vapourware

My last two admissions were due to suicidal depression. Still, it took some convincing from my pdoc before I relented. It's probably best to go in if you feel a strong urge to hurt yourself or another person.

I've been hospitalized twice. Once was a self admit for suicidal idealization and the second was an involuntary admit. So I didn't have a choice whether I wanted to go or not.

I knew it was time to check myself in when my thought of harming or killing myself became so persuasive that I felt I could no longer stave them off with willpower or self talk by itself. I had a serious discussion with my pdoc about where I was and how safe I felt, and when I felt that I couldn't reasonably assure my safety any longer, it was time to go.

the decision to put me in the hospital is usually made by family members or well-meaning bystanders who call the ambulance for me when i am floridly psychotic. the last time i actually checked myself in without getting committed i was there for suicidal ideation.

Edited by apetasticaL

Any more?? I'm kinda thinking i need to go. But i'm not thinking of hurting anyone or myself....i'm just very afraid and quite paranoid. I try to just stay to myself...but ppl like to come around me...which is a good thing...but its bad too bc i feel so out of place like an alien.

I recently had an episode where over a few day period of time I was convinced I was being stalked. Wherever I went it felt like someone was watching me and was waiting for a chance to harm me. I almost hurt myself so I could keep from being hurt (???) at the time it made sense but now it doesn't. I also heard someone saying my name who was not there, but I thought maybe it was whoever was after me. Looking back I know it was irrational but at the time I really thought I was in danger and I almost called 911 at one point.

I'm trying to stay out of the hospital as I've been in every month except for Jan, May, and September (and this month so far). But if this happens again I think I probably should go. I came out OK but I was really close to the edge, feeling frantic to keep myself safe and I was really freaked out.

Part of knowing when to go IP is how many times you've been at that tipping point in your illness?

So, I've been thru it a lot, so I kinda know when dealing with it by myself is over.

Older, not necessarily wiser, but definitely older.

I admitted my self every time....once when i was 15, twice when i was 16, once when i was 17,,and the last time was when i was 19 ............(I am 23 years old now)

Every time it was because my medications were not stable.

I felt like my mind was out of wack

i wanted to pull all of my hair out of my head

I had so many emotions going on at once so much anger and sadness

I just felt like i was going to explode

I was super paranoid, I felt like everyone around at the time were trying to screw me over....I felt like a maniac

I basically know because my MO is to take an excess of pills and OD. In fact just got out of psych ward today after ten days. Did some crazy things as well including escaping from hospital in JUST a johnnie and sox-ran home and put on real clothes and by then cops were at my house and brought me back! :)

Got to psych hospital that night after waiting 3 days at local hospital and had a few "episodes" there. Thankful to be home tonight!

• 3 weeks later...