CrazyBoards.org

BP diagnosis change?

Hi,

I guess I'm pretty new at this MI game, only been playing it for 2 years and spent the first four months of that with a diagnosis of major depression. Took effexor, flipped out. Sent to outpatient psychiatric clinic for further evaluation. For the eight months I was there I never received any indication as to what my diagnosis was. Eventually took myself off all meds and left the clinic. Returned to GP three months later complaining of depression. Was referred to new psychiatrist and started new med regime, including lithium, risperdal, and clonazepam. Continue seeing this psychiatrist who doesn't seem to hesitate using the words "bipolar disorder" (even though she never mentioned 1 or 2) when talking about my condition. Meds come, meds go, changes are made - but I wasn't expecting this one.

When I was at my GP's on Wednesday I had him fill out a form for me and there was a spot on it for him to list my diagnosis. Well, he wrote "schizoaffective." Apparently that's the consensus he and my pdoc have come to. He explained a little bit about the condition and where I fit in the definition and we kind of left it at that.

But it's been bothering me. I want to know what warranted the change from a BP diagnosis to this new one. Something new that I told pdoc? I'm really confused. I don't know if I feel comfortable bringing it up at our appointment next Thursday.

;)

Hi,

I guess I'm pretty new at this MI game, only been playing it for 2 years and spent the first four months of that with a diagnosis of major depression. Took effexor, flipped out. Sent to outpatient psychiatric clinic for further evaluation. For the eight months I was there I never received any indication as to what my diagnosis was. Eventually took myself off all meds and left the clinic. Returned to GP three months later complaining of depression. Was referred to new psychiatrist and started new med regime, including lithium, risperdal, and clonazepam. Continue seeing this psychiatrist who doesn't seem to hesitate using the words "bipolar disorder" (even though she never mentioned 1 or 2) when talking about my condition. Meds come, meds go, changes are made - but I wasn't expecting this one.

When I was at my GP's on Wednesday I had him fill out a form for me and there was a spot on it for him to list my diagnosis. Well, he wrote "schizoaffective." Apparently that's the consensus he and my pdoc have come to. He explained a little bit about the condition and where I fit in the definition and we kind of left it at that.

But it's been bothering me. I want to know what warranted the change from a BP diagnosis to this new one. Something new that I told pdoc? I'm really confused. I don't know if I feel comfortable bringing it up at our appointment next Thursday.

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BRING IT UP!!!  You have every right to know why they changed your dx.  These people work for US.  Just like a mechanic that tells you your car is all fucked up and you ask "whats wrong with it,"  you should ask your doc what caused the change in dx.  Whatever the situation, you deserve to know any and all information, especially regarding MI.  Otherwise, how will you be able to educate yourself on your dx?

Good luck to you.  Keep us posted.

Brandy

Did your doc change the diagnosis or add to it?

God knows you can have a million lovely MI's all glommed together.

I think schitzoaffective goes along nicely with mania.  Mania in all its glory brings about delusions and hallucinations and all sorts of  fun things people with schitzoaffective disorder experience.

The more things they diagnose you with the more precise they are trying to be.  So it seems.  Doesn't necessarily help though ;)

But I agree you should ask your doc.  Get all the info you can from him.  You pay him for his time so he should tell you everything you want to know.

I recently got bumped from BP1 to schitzoeffective the last time I was in hospital.  I think it's because I had a serious psychotic episode and that was enough to change the lable even though I'm now exactly as I was before.

Did they change your meds?  They gave me Zyprexa until I chilled out and now I'm back on just Lithium and the other standards.

Have you had any particular episodes?

I also think schitzoeffective is a dx that covers the "well it's BP with a little spice" category.

Archived