CrazyBoards.org

out of body experience?

I sometimes have periods of time where as best I can describe it, I feel I am not alive and not in my body.  I'm just a shell, perhaps like a robot.  I dunno.  This feeling disturbs me and is not pleasant, and usually happens when depressed.  I can't remember if it's ever happened when I'm 'normal'.  I just want to cry and curl up and try to find myself when I'm like this.  I'm totally numb.

What would you call this and is it a concern?  I've told my pdoc about it and she didn't really say anything about it.  Will mention to tdoc Monday.

I get that alot.

I don't know what to call it.  Not quite out of body cause I am not somewhere else.  But I do get that feeling like I am dead inside my body.  That is usually when I am prone to self-injury.  It is a horrible feeling.

No shrink has really told me what to do about it, they just say, "Oh, that's part of being depressed."  But it doesn't just happen when I am depressed.

If your doc tells you anything helpful, do let me know!

Yeah i know that dead feeling... closest thing I can think of is depersonalization

And out of body experience is different... it's also called astral travelling.  That's more likely to occur when you are feeling feeling good, and centred.  I had one when I was 18, during my first yoga class.  I've been wanting to have another ever since.  Was better than drugs.

Tim

Disassociation perhaps?

I get this feeling when I have panic attacks and when I am totally immersed in playing music (which is not good, you lose concentration).

Floating outside of your body looking down at yourself? Like your soul has temporarily left your body?

Frankly, I think it's cool.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it can be cool, but right now i'm talking about me feeling dead and looking down at myself.

i have also experienced what you are talking about though.  that is cool but weird

Yeah i know that dead feeling... closest thing I can think of is depersonalization

And out of body experience is different... it's also called astral travelling.  That's more likely to occur when you are feeling feeling good, and centred.  I had one when I was 18, during my first yoga class.  I've been wanting to have another ever since.  Was better than drugs.

Tim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow...more signs i'm schizophrenic >>

i dont know why my pdoc thinks i'm NOT.

Depersonalization occurs in conjuntion with may psychological and psychiatric conditions. I don't know why you would think this equates with schizophrenia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well the wiki said it was a sign of schizophrenia...

i may be a hypocondriac but i swear i am schizoaffective, i've got all the signs....my pdoc just hasn't seen me enough.

When I was 21, I had an extended period of deep depression.  It eventually got to the point that I came home from work one day and just stared at the wall for hours on end trying to decide whether to kill myself.  After this, I experienced an extended period of depersonalization.  I felt like I was outside of myself and even outside of time.  Well, not so much outside of time, more like I was hyper-aware of each second passing.  Kind of like I was on the outside watching the world go by.  It slowly abated after several months and I have never experienced the same feeling since.  So, I guess the point is that it is not necessarily a sign of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder.  In fact, from what I know, it is actually more common in depressive disorders and PTSD. 

i saw my tdoc today, and she said something i never thought of.  she said that it might not be so much depersonalization as i am so bright as to seperate myself from my illness. o_O

I would definately categorize it as a defense mechanism of the brain, I know it was for me, but I don't think it is a particulary good thing.  One shouldn't have to become numb to deal with their MI.  Just my opinion.

Archived