CrazyBoards.org

After seeing the same Pdoc (Dr F) for about 8 years, it got to the point where he had run out of medications for me to try and didn't know where to go from here.

So I ended up seeking a 2nd opinion (with Pdoc's blessing) & have now got a new Pdoc (Dr M) (who works out of the same place in the city as my previous Pdoc).

I was on Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), however Dr M has decided that Prozac (fluoxetine) might be a better AD for me in terms of my anxiety & mood switches (I'm BPII).

So this morning (after 13 days Pristiq free and on Dr M's orders) I took 20mg tablet of Prozac & so far am alright (I always worry when I take new meds for the first time!).

I also take 150mg of Seroquel XR (Quetiapine) at night & over the next few months, Dr M wants to wean me off Seroquel & give Litihum a try. This is mainly due to weight issues, plus me finding seroquel good, but very sedating.

I also take a maximum of 5mg every other day of Valium (diazepam) for my anxiety (Dr M knows about this)

So the short story is: How have other people found Prozac? has anyone take it with either Lithium or Seroquel? Has anyone found it useful for anxiety &/ or panic attacks???

almost killed me..sorry to be a bummer. Serotonin Syndrome..left me disabled for a month. Then pdoc had the gall to suggest I go back on it again a few days ago. I hope you fare better.

Prozac made me hypomanic but did nothing for my anxiety. I took it with an AAP. Good luck with it, though. Clearly it's great for many people.

I just got off prozac when I went to psych hospital (just got back home today!) my pdoc was prescribing two AD at same time- I thought that was strange, but he is the dr. Not me. Other professionals found this strange because they were both SSRI's which can cause seratonin syndrome. In fact, like a previous post I believe in hind site that I was hypomanic for quite a period of time (however I was quite productive as well and kinda liked it!) I am BP. I don't believe Prozac is indicated for anxiety. I am on Paxil as well and that does help with depression as well as social anxiety-I like it very much. I don't understand why ur pdoc recommends lithium, because that certainly causes weight gain , and btw u must check with a blood test often as dehydration will cause a build up of the med in ur system and the doc must adjust dose regularly. I was on it tho and rarely got blood tests and my dose was never adjusted- which is not recommended but some docs do not do the right thing. I gained a lot of weight with this drug and asked to get off it (I am also bulimic and am very concerned about such a side-effect and have refused certain RX's for that reason alone if I see it happening)

I also take seraquel (400mg) and have had no weight problems. Have been on it for a long time too.

Prozac has worked great for me, but at the highest dose. Without it I am very weepy about everything. I can't afford to be off of it.

Thanks Coconuts, Hagar Running, Cacia, Fitgal44 & MelissaW72 for your replies :)

coconuts: That really sucks for you :( Can't believe ur Pdoc suggested you go back on it!! :/

hagar running: Thanks for your reply, I reckon that I get hypomanic when I have a change of meds, but that was before I was taking Seroquel which has really dampened any hypomania, so fingers crossed I'll be ok. (I don't mind how I feel when hypomanic, but I don't want to have my behaviour end my marriage!)

Cacia: Thanks for your reply, I'm hoping that in conjunction with the Valium & (for the moment) Seroquel, that it will help me too -even just a little bit!- with my anxiety.

Fitgal44: Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry that you were prescribed 2 SSRI's, and had weight gain on Lithium. The reason my Pdoc wants to try it is to see if it's more weight neutral for me. (YMMV) So it could end up being ok for me, maybe.

I have done a bit of research about Lithium & realise the importance of constant hydration & about the regular blood tests (I had to have regular blood tests whilst on Sodium Valoproate) whilst taking Lithium.

I also have eating/ food issues (I'm a chronic over-eater, but very rarely purge -last purge was at least 8-9months ago)

The research I've done/found so far on Prozac say that in some cases (once again YMMV) that it can be used for bulimia & eating disorders, but obviously I'm not on it for this reason alone. & I'm in no way saying that you should be on it! :) It's just something I've come across in my very basic research of last night.

But having found that about Prozac & combining that with the fact that my new Pdoc knows about my disordered eating, maybe he figures it's worth a shot for the eating issues as well. I'm willing to try it and see if it works for me (on all levels)

& as for the lithium, I'll try that too & see what happens, maybe it will be "weight neutral" for me, maybe not.

melissaw72: Thanks for your reply, I'm glad that Prozac has helped you, I'm hoping it'll help me. I suspect that when I see my Pdoc in amonth, he'll raise my Prozac dose from 20mg to whatever he sees fit, fingers crossed it'll work out for me too.

Edited by Chiaroscuro

I've never heard of prozac being prescribed for eating disorders/disordered eating, but if research has shown to help then I'd ask your pdoc more about it. I have been on prozac since 1991(eating disorder had started in 1988, ended 2008), and it never had an effect on my eating. Thinking about it though, maybe knowing that prozac has an effect on your mood, that in itself *might* help the eating. Not sure but don't know how else it would work. Also, for me, prozac doesnt help me with panic attacks. I am on PRN xanax again (just restarted it) for the anxiety.

I take Prozac along with Lithium and Seroquel. I've been on this combination for the past 18 months and it works well for me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Persona_Is_Life
      Hello! 
      I'm trying to figure out how to address my nervous tics lately. They've been persistent this past year and are always changing. From eye blinking, to head shaking, to sticking my elbow in my sides, squeaking, to a eye closed swallow things. I can't remember them all. 
      I don't always have them. If I've properly slept and aren't stressed/anxious they don't exist at all. As I'm typing this I keep needing to pick up my thumbs and bend them till I hear something crack. 
      I don't know where to put this though! 
      Thanks!
    • By Blahblah
      This has become the central topic of my latest ruminations...I'm still in my 40's, but I'm worrying a lot about getting older. I'm having some random health issues (aches/pains, chronic fatigue etc) that I never had before.
      I don't have any children and get triggered every time I see photos of other people's kids (literally everyone I know my age has kids now). I know that it's not a given that all families are happy or one's kids will take care of you in old age, but it's just the thought of having a family around! My parents are approaching late 70's and they live very far away, cannot travel. I have no other close family (or even close friends) that I can really depend on.
      Anyone know how to remedy these anxious thoughts? One of my biggest fears is being alone in old age, with increased health issues, and being totally isolated/alone in despair. I'd rather die young.
    • By thoughtcrime
      So, I was extremely depressed in January after tapering off all my meds on my own (stupid). My doctor put me back on Wellbutrin, and we decided to try Prozac as an SSRI. The Prozac wasn't kicking in and I learned about the GeneSight genetic test for antidepressants. I asked for and had the task done. They never sent me a copy of the results.
      After a month on the Prozac and no help, I also asked to go up from 300mg Wellbutrin XL to 450mg, and that seemed to help. I had an appointment mid-April and was mostly feeling better. He decided to keep me where I was at. I forgot to ask about the GeneSight results.
      I generally feel good during the week but am miserable on the weekends. I generally lay in bed all day feeling depressed, binge eat, try and sleep as much as possible. I don't know if this is something that can be fixed with medication or if it is purely behavioral. My therapist suggests making plans for the weekend ahead of time and trying to make my weekends structured.
      I finally got around to sending the doc a message on the patient portal asking about the GeneSight results. He responded that the report showed all my meds were good for me except Prozac. The test recommends Lexapro or Zoloft instead. He did not say anything about changing the Prozac.
      For three days I have been trying to make an appointment to see the doctor. If I call I'm on hold for 10 minutes before leaving a message. I've also tried requesting an appointment with the patient portal. Nothing. So, I'm thinking about just messaging the doc (since I know he responds) and mention the problems I'm having on the weekends as well as concerns I have about staying on Prozac. I want to know if I should switch, or if I should just stay where I'm at since I'm basically doing good except no motivation and very depressed on the weekends.
      What do you all think I should do? Ask the doctor online about switching, keep trying to make an appointment, or just try and add structure to the weekends and see if I can get by without a med change?
      Current meds (all generic):
      Wellburtrin XL: 450mg
      Prozac: 20mg
      Seroquel: 200mg
      trazodone: 400mg
      hydroxyzine: 25mg 3x daily P.R.N.
    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.
    • By kitties
      Hi, I am kitties.  I am a newbie here, but not to illness.  I have chronic pain 24/7 in my back and neck.
      Mentally....here are my diagnoses (got a second and third opinion....all objective and a consensus of the exact same diagnoses.)
      Bipolar 1 with psychosis, extreme, treatment resistant, rapid cycling.   Mixed features predominant.  Never had a remission to date...just a couple of weeks with my bipolar disorder.  “Normal” for a few weeks a couple of times per year.  No anxiety remission.
      OCD, GAD, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety disorder, PTSD...I think that is everything.   Oh, I am significantly affected by a very strong dose of agoraphobia stemming from my PTSD and Panic Disorder.
      I have a great psychiatrist and I e been in treatment with him a since 2006.  I had a great therapist that had a co-transference issue and I ultimately ended my therapy with him. I have tried four therapists since firing the aforementioned therapist - but I unfortunately have lost faith in the process.
      I am a night owl by nature and it has really ramped up since being declared disabled in 2009/SSDI/cannot work.  I struggle with having a “routine,” although I have read that one with bipolar disorder tends to be more stable with a routine.  I’m easily overstimulated so I like the quiet and darkness..
      I know I have an eating disorder (anorexia, restricting type), but I politely yet firmly said I have had “eating issues” but I have no desire to “go there.”  My psychiatrist respects that although I am subject to a monthly weigh-in and I self-manage it.  
      I am currently relapsing right now, unfortunately. But, I have had it for so many years that I know at what weight my body and mind take a turn for the worst.  And I have to rein it back in and stop losing (meaning eat more).  I’ll never seek treatment as the recovery model, IMO, is ridiculous.  Kudos to those that have been able to “recover.”
      I take a bunch of meds, mainly psych meds  
      I like to read, Enjoy spending time with my boyfriend.  Internet.  I like learning things, I am currently and reading up on world history (pre-USA).  I keep up with psychology and sociology.
      Thanks for reading if you made it this far.