CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
photonist

First 10 days of prozac was great but i am almost in 3.week i feel like hell. Help?

Hi,

I am new to this site/forum, reading it for a couple days. Anyways

Before taking prozac i had symptoms of extreme confusion, i even kind of forgot name of people, terrible concentration, complete distophia anhedonia, life seemed like something completely unenjoyable by abstractions made by human consciousness, only enjoyable stuff was you know to eat, to sleep but i had complete lack of appetite. I felt terrible its worse than being lonely like some silence before a big storm. And feeling those made me see a doctor immediately. I told her my symptoms and she said that you are really confused and mind fogged it does not take a doctor to see that. She prescribed me prozac/fluoxetine and remeron/mirtazapine.

I started taking prozac due to feeling of not enjoying anything, forgetting When i started taking it, first 2-3days i didn't feel much difference i was feeling just like i always felt for a couple weeks anyways, after that i started to feel this not too intense but some kind of ecstatic euphoria its like feeling constantly peaceful. I really enjoyed every second. I was able to study 2-3hours a day without forcing and distressing myself. but since 2-3days i feel lethargic, horribly depressed and i feel alone like there is this absolute loneliness like silence like a shadow that is perhaps due to listening samuel barber and schubert i guess i should avoid those despite of their attractive magic. But i feel like can not enjoy anything like i just kill the time? Is this normal. Before prozac i used escitalopram, and zoloft they were okay. But i kind of want prozac to work i do not want to feel like this first week was wonderful now i am in 16. day i think or 17

They say this may be due to adjustments of autoreceptors. But people say they get worse when taking prozac but mine seems little different first 3-5days was not so different then i felt that peacefulness then terrible again. That made me post this. Oh and btw i used zoloft and cipralex/Escitalopram before. they were fine but that second week that euphoria-like feelinng of peace in prozac. They didnt have that i was not energetic like prozac.

Will it get better? I have 3-4days before i can visit the doctor again.

Thank you for reading and helping out

Hi, welcome. I'm sorry you are feeling bad.

It is difficult to offer specific advice. Mental fuzziness and confusion are not descriptive of any particular mental illness.

Keep in mind that most meds have side effects and that they generally improve with time. Psych meds may take weeks or months to take full effect.

Take your meds exactly as prescribed. Keep your doctor appointments and be honest and open with him.

best, a.m.

No matter what i just dont want to feel like this. I can even give up my obsessions compulsions wrong idealistic perfection attempts. It feels deep, intense, dark. My appetite is gone i eat 1 meal a day 2 tops if i force it. I am not exercising anymore i feel lethargic. I read about autoreceptors & ssri stuff so it makes you feel worse initially then autoreceptors give up. I hope it happens quick

Has your dr ruled out a bipolar diagnoses? Bipolar just treated with antidepressants will send you into mania (your feelings of euphoria). I experienced that with every single AD I was put on. I'd feel euphoric, then it would make me have suicidal ideations, etc. bipolar not treated with a mood stabilizers, antidepressants will make you cycle very rapidly.

You need to see your pdoc very soon. You don't sound well at all. Some of the things you are saying are not making sense and your thoughts seem to be mixed together. You might want to print this out to show your pdoc. You need to see a psychiatrist and not a family dr for this ok? That is really really important. I don't think your dr is seeing what we are seeing here.

I took 7-8 weeks for the side effects to go away. If you can hang in there, they might go away for you.

were you taking any meds immediately previous to prozac or is this the first one in a while? Because if you are dc'ing other meds it's often hard to differentiate between a wd off one and side effects of a new one. It could be you are very sensitive to serotonin (as I was..prozac and I don't get along) .. maybe a different AD would work better for you then again maybe you just having withdrawal from previous meds?

in my case i had wd sympt, not rebound depression. I had to dc prozac immediately then went into a bad wd with crying spells. before the pdoc starts treating you like a guinea, ask and clarify if you are not just having wd from previous meds first. Docs need to work from a clean baseline or else they end up medicating and misdiagnosing.

First of all thank you all for your concern! I am thankful and really appricate it.

I haven't had a chance to see the doctor yet i will see her monday. and today i am better relatively to those 3-4days and i had a session with my therapist today. We dug deep! Somehow digging deep made my inside voice mute after the session it was all quiet somewhat.

This happened when she asked me or i just told her that i set extreme goals yet still fail miserably just because life seems boring outside of extremes and since my childhood i always saw things like you should do something important with your life or in anything and this leads me to trying to become professional even with my amateur hobbies etc etc yet after a intense while i give up hobbies, goals.Everything is dramatized when you are goal-minded i guess.

All these feels so much burden to carry it feels awful. It is strange though that a week ago i was pretty pretty fine i didnt think any of those. Yet this week and the stress of my midterm exams kind of make me tired :/ sometimes throughout the day there is so intense feeling and so intense silence inside.

But the thing is i am almost sure that i didnt have any of those thoughts in my mind 6-7days ago. When i was studying etc etc. But i dont know what i think on lately anyways i hate to talk much. I just hope i don't feel this loneliness frustration and this silence all those stuff are not worth feeling like this

and besides prozac i take mirtazapine(remeron) for sleep.

I've been off/on Prozac for quite a while, and I just wanted to mention a few things in how it affects me:

1. The startup of Prozac *always* gives me the first bit of euphoria and then takes an opposite turn and will literally exacerbate my feelings of depression and/or anxiety.

2. Prozac is a "slower" antidepressant and seems to take quite a while to build up in your system. Hence, the reason that you have to give it at least 6 weeks to make any self-judgement on how you're feeling. Also, keep in mind that the starting dose may not be the dose that works for you - you may need to raise the dosage (but that's for your doctor to decide).

3. To me, you sound a bit hyper/manic in your writings - run-on sentences, etc. Maybe you could bring a copy of one of your posts to your doctor to give him/her an idea on how you're doing.

Unfortunately, these drugs are all trial-and-error. Which makes us human guinea pigs....but once you find the right one, you'll realize it was all worth it.

you are right about ssri s one brand works for you may not work for others or for you at a different time or in a different situation. I am getting considerably better. Well i do not feel like i am in that hyper/manic state or having run-on sentences today. I just hope it gets better. I hate the feeling that my mind feels like its on powersaving mode so i have to double the efforts to do the usual things i do. I was not told being bipolar, manic, hyper before. I had the usual depressions you know after some stressful events etc etc. Do you really think i should share those things with my doctor?

Oh and btw is it me or caffeine really worsens the symptoms?