CrazyBoards.org

Hi there. I just now found you, and am posting even before I search, but, well, you know.

Okay, let's see how few words I can use to type this, because I want to use all of them. Very recently, I had some health problems including surgery, and I was prescribed percocet. It was the smallest dose they give. The aspirin-looking round ones. If that matters. Anyway, I took them for awhile, and they were quite good at getting rid of the pain. Oh and I should add that it's not my first time taking percocet. I've had 3 c-sections, and was given it each time, but then I'm always blissfully calm when I'm pregnant.

Also I should state that I have only been aware of being bipolar for a couple of weeks. I'm on the first dose of lamictal- barely week 2- and I also take saphris at night. Anyway.. I took my percocet for my pain with little incident following surgery, and barely noticed a thing except for my pain being gone. However, this condition (it's gynecological) has flared up again, and so today I took another percocet. 2 hours later- I feel like I'm going into a manic state. If that's not already evident from this super disorganized post.

First, has anybody else had this experience with percocet? Second, what do you guys do when you feel like you're about to race up out of your skull?

Oh and hi, my name's Andrea. Heh heh.

Interesting. I am also bipolar and I use percocet as part of my pain management regime. I do not feel it induces mania, but then, I am on several potent anti-manic agents.

What psych meds do you take? Just the Lamictal? At the beginning stages, Lamictal can be a bit racy and activating, so it definitely would not be sufficient to protect you from a potential psych side effect of the percs. Thinking on it, I've heard of people having manic euphoria on heroin and morphine, so I could suppose it could happen to an extent from percocet as well in a narcotic-naive individual as well.

Conclusion, it's probably a bit of both the racy activation side of the low dose of Lamictal (it's more subduing at higher doses), and some manic euphoria from the narcotics. Exercise caution, go to the ER if necessary, otherwise enjoy while you can.

Welcome to CB!

Whenever I feel an episode coming on the first thing I do is call my pdoc (psychiatrist).

When I started lamictal, I noticed that it helped lift my mood within a couple of weeks. It could possibly be the culprit that is activating you, but I'm not a doctor. I don't really know.

As for the Percocet, I've only used pain pills for self-medication (before I was DX'ed), so my experience was probably (very?) different. They had the opposite effect on me. They would slow down my racing mind, but not in a good way. It wasn't worth it.

This definitely sounds like something you need to talk to your pdoc about.

Hi, welcome to CB!

Just wanted to let you know that most (all?) members on Crazyboards use anonymous names. You can pm one of the admins and they can change your username for you.

Edited by water

Hi Andrea, this is my take. So you haven't been on Lamictal very long. It is a mood stabilizer. Percocet a pain reliever. If you are not supposed to be on anti depressants because if you do it may allow you to become manic then Percocet may do the same thing. Anyway i was on cymbalta for depression and then was finally taken off it because it could cause the mania to break thru. I feel this may be the problem. Call your psychiatrist tho and ask. I only play a dr on tv. :)

Hi Andrea, this is my take. So you haven't been on Lamictal very long. It is a mood stabilizer. Percocet a pain reliever. If you are not supposed to be on anti depressants because if you do it may allow you to become manic then Percocet may do the same thing. Anyway i was on cymbalta for depression and then was finally taken off it because it could cause the mania to break thru. I feel this may be the problem. Call your psychiatrist tho and ask. I only play a dr on tv. :)

I'm really not following your logic. Percocet is nothing at all like an antidepressant. Nothing. It is for pain relief.

Anyway, back to the topic.

It may very well be that you are not yet on a therapeutic dose of Lamictal and that you are still experiencing mood swings that will most likely level out as soon as you get to the target dose.

Could it be that you actually feel pain free and that this is making you think that you're becoming manic? I take oxycodone on a fairly regular basis. I know that sometimes the lack of pain makes me feel so much better that it's like all of a sudden I have more energy. I recognize this as different from mania. I've had my diagnosis for over 30 years. You, with your new diagnosis might still have a lot to figure out when it comes to good mood vs. mania. You know, we are still allowed to have good moods even though we may be bipolar. Same goes with bad moods. A mood change does not always indicate mania or depression. Sometimes it's just a crappy or good mood.

It was Percocet that led me go to the psychiatrist's office in the first place. I felt such a relief from the constant pressure of the nasty mania I suffered for almost a year. I remember thinking, "Man, if they let a mere dentist have this kind of stuff, what will they let the psychiatrist have?"

Maybe once or twice a year take a few recreational effect. They are the only things besides, beer and caffeine, that will take, "just to feel good" and beer only occasionally.

Maybe once or twice a year take a few recreational effect. They are the only things besides, beer and caffeine, that will take, "just to feel good" and beer only occasionally.

It is hugely irresponsible to appear to suggest that it is OK to take Percocet recreationally, or that beer is all right, either. Abusing pain killers or drinking alcohol while taking psych meds is a horrible idea. Do it yourself if you want, Eldorado, but don't leave someone who is new to her illness and not stable with the misconception that it is safe or OK.

It is hugely irresponsible to appear to suggest that it is OK to take Percocet recreationally, or that beer is all right, either. Abusing pain killers or drinking alcohol while taking psych meds is a horrible idea. Do it yourself if you want, Eldorado, but don't leave someone who is new to her illness and not stable with the misconception that it is safe or OK.

The kiddie table is over there. If this isn't the place for candor and frank discussion, then we are beyond screwed. I condoned nothing. I am not a medical professional, I gave no advice, I simply admitted something about myself. You seemed to have me confused with a punching bag.

The kiddie table is over there.  If this isn't the place for candor and frank discussion, then we are beyond screwed.  I condoned nothing.  I am not a medical professional, I gave no advice, I simply admitted something about myself.  You seemed to have me confused with a punching bag.

By saying that you abuse painkillers and drink beer, you are condoning it. You made no effort to educate the OP about the incredible risk a person with bipolar disorder may be taking when doing drugs or drinking. For some people with BP, one drink can trigger an episode. Not to mention how poorly most psych meds interact with alcohol and many other types of medications. Narcotics are a really stupid class of drugs to fuck with. 

As for whether we are at "the kiddie table"-- if this is the place for candor and grownup talk, you ought to be able to tolerate someone voicing an alternate view. It concerns me that you so blithely discuss drinking and doing drugs without the caveat that doing so can be dangerous. I'm not going to be silent to preserve some ... Hell, I don't know. Do you have some right not to be challenged that I am not aware of?

Oh, and nothing in my previous post was me using you as a "punching bag." I can demonstrate my ability to do so if you like. 

OP, sorry for the derailment. It's not generally like this around CB. I'll step aside and let your thread go on. 

As for your original question-- I tend to agree with the others that it is very hard to tell what is going on, but writing every detail you can think of down to give to your pdoc is a great idea. The more information you give him, the better he can work with you. 

I did have a few doses of Flexeril (muscle relaxer) knock me off balance a couple of years ago and that contributed to my going IP again. Our brains are so sensitive, just adding one extra med in can make them go haywire. Of course, there are also times that we need several psych meds to even us out.  :/

Guest Vapourware

I believe in the responsible usage of medication. That is, you take medication in the way that is prescribed to you.

I believe it is dangerous to suggest, on a board with many vulnerable members, that they should take medication in an non-prescribed manner. This includes suggesting people should take percocet a few times a year to feel better. No. People should take percocet in the way as prescribed by a doctor.

Please refrain from further comments along that vein.

I don't know how to put a quote up that someone else has put up so I will just post again. To inmate, my logic. anti depressents decrease the depresseion. Docs now know do not give anti depressants to bi polar as it may make us feel so much better then we escalate into mania. So my logic pain meds decrease pain also making you feel better, therefore possiblity of increasing possiblity of mania. Just one girls opinion it certainly doesn't have to be yours.

oh and inmate, I am smart enough to know that percocet is a pain reliver. I know that it is not used as an anti depressent. Another example Amitriptyline in lower doses is used for pain and higher doses is used as an anti depressant. Hence my logic which is a hypothesis that all on this topic are using..No concrete evidence, just giving the person who started this thread some ideas. If you see I did tell her to talk to her doc about it.

Guest Vapourware

youre not fucking smart enough

and inmate is a fuyckingtitle not a person.'s name

percocet is a painkiller. thee end. its not amitradlldaka whatever that med is called

Could it be that you actually feel pain free and that this is making you think that you're becoming manic? I take oxycodone on a fairly regular basis. I know that sometimes the lack of pain makes me feel so much better that it's like all of a sudden I have more energy. I recognize this as different from mania.

This is the truth. Sometimes after I've taken my pain meds I feel a surge of energy and want to clean the house and do all! the! chores! just because my pain levels have decreased by so much that I feel better and I am more capable and willing to take action. This is much different than mania, I acknowledge, but it still feels great and makes my mind race a little bit with all the possibilities of things that I could now do that I couldn't do before. Feeling better and getting excited about feeling better is a different (but somewhat similar) feeling to mania.

I wish, at least sometimes, that narcotic pain meds gave me that lovely feeling that recreational use is supposed to induce. I am lucky if they reduce the level of my pain enough to breathe deeply.

Sylvan, whose member title is "inmate" wrote:

I take oxycodone on a fairly regular basis. I know that sometimes the lack of pain makes me feel so much better that it's like all of a sudden I have more energy. I recognize this as different from mania.

THAT I recognize and appreciate. Abusing narcotic pain meds to chase that momentary relief I do not understand. However, there must be something to it for so many folks to be chasing that fleeting "just to feel better". But then, I drink a good dark beer for the taste and the pleasure, more than for the drunk that accompanies over-indulgence: how can that make anyone feel better?

As Vapourware stated, to suggest even peripherally that someone take narcotic pain killers a few times a year for the momentary feel better is reckless at the core and boneheaded at least.

The original poster has legitimate concerns and such suggestions and WAGS (wild-ass guesses) do not do her trust and sharing honour. Figuring out all that is necessary with a relatively new diagnosis is never easy.

I

vsp and inmate, and I don't care if it is a name or a title, you guys are being really rude. This girl andrea is asking opinions period. wow, I think both of you need to learn to think before you make such rude comments. Anyway this is about Andrea not you guys. Like I said, just one girls opinion. Vap its amitriptyline. This thread has become ridiculus, it is about Andrea no one else.

Damn, and here I thought I was being rather neutral in tone only to find out I am rude. Oh, well. Rude it is.

I agree that the focus should be on the two questions the original poster asked.

First, has anybody else had this experience with percocet? Second, what do you guys do when you feel like you're about to race up out of your skull?

I do not see where you, kevscrazychick, responded to either of her questions. Have you have a similar experience with percocet? I haven't.

If this thread is about Andrea, then why have your pulled the focus in the above post to yourself?

Edited to round up an AWOL "e".

Edited by Indigo 'n dye

I occasionally take percoset and on a few occasions found it slightly activating. But I took one last night and I did not experience that. I think your swing into hypomania could be a side effect of the Lamictal. When I am going to 'race out of my skull' I call my doctor right away, or email him.

We actually have a plan on what meds I can increase when I swing into mania. A preapproved plan with my doctor to try and nip mania in the bud. Because it is easiest to treat in the beginning. The longer it last, the higher you go, the harder to stabilize.

As someone with a new diagnosis it might help you to read some books about Bipolar, and to do a mood chart. You can find a lot of mood charts online. Just do a search. There are also support groups through NAMI. www.nami.org Welcome to crazyboards.