CrazyBoards.org

I'd like to know why it's considered wrong to fast during a feast period, reddog!

Because it's the wrong time. We need to balance the introspective, restricted times with the joyous times. You know that Bible quote about 'there is season to all things' and feast things are out of season with fast things, and vice versa. You fast, you focus inward and on God. You feast, you focus on family and community.

We do follow a very structured calender. Very, very structured. There's a definite framework to work within.

Thank you for sharing your journey Red.. I would love to understand more about the Orthodox Church. I like the idea of fast and feast and a time for everything. I wonder if too many churches have done away with practices such as fasting and meditation. In such a world as this, we often need reminders to slow down, consider, pray and give thanks.

As to fasting being bad for you? I am not sure why one would think so. It's a fast from specific foods..protein can be found in many different sources so abstaining from meat isn't dangerous and you can use different oils..its not a starvation fast.

On a side note..did you know about the monastaries in Greece who haven't changed their practices since the time of Christ? I saw a report on them on 60 minutes. Very very interesting..

Greece is primarily Orthodox. The Orthodox Church traces its line of Bishops back to the original Apostles, all documented. Very neat.

I attended the OC as an inquirer for 2 years, and spent 2 additional years as a catechumen there. I would go as far as to say that it's the truest expression of the Christian faith, using liturgies and housing relics and icons that date back to Christ's walk on earth. It's more than just attending a hyper-emotional, happy-clappy sort of modernized church setting... it makes you work for it a bit, gives you tools. It is very structured -- there are more fasting days than feasting days on the liturgical calendar, but they say that mastery of the body is mastery of the soul. If you can tame the lust of the belly, you can tame the lusts of the flesh.

I once spent a week with some ROCOR (Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia) monks at a hermitage in Wayne, WV. Great experience.

If I ever find myself in church again, it'll definitely be the OC.