CrazyBoards.org

Hi,

I'm supposed to have general surgery soon, and as the surgery requires general anesthesia, I've been hesitant to scedule the operation. I've had general anesthesia before, but never while on Lamictal, and not since my BP II diagnosis in May. I'm very concerned that the surgery will cause me to cycle again because it will interact with my Lamictal (or any of the other drugs). The doctor says I shouldn't worry, but I'm still concerned. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks!

If you want to really drive them crazy, find out what type of anesthesia they'll be using and check aidsmeds.com for drug interactions.

The anesthesiologist (damn, that's a long word!) is an expert at knowing what's safe to use with what.  Ask to speak with the guy before the surgery (usually they'll come in and introduce themselves and check out your chart before surgery).  Also the surgeon.  Also call your pdoc and ask him to find out what anesthetics are safe or not safe.

Lastly, go to lamictal.com, download the complete prescribing information (PI sheet), and read up on drug interactions.  I don't remember anything about sedatives or anesthetics, but that's not what I was looking for, so read up and reassure yourself.  If there was an interaction, the PI sheet would document it.

You've got lots of resources.  Use your anxiety to get yourself to study up.

As someone who has had 10 surgeries in 5 years...

Get your pre-op testing done at the hospital instead of with your normal doctor.  While you're there, ask to speak to the anesthesiologist on call--they should be able to answer any questions about which meds need to be discontinued/rescheduled.  Be sure to ask about supplements too.

Alternately, you can call the hospital main line and ask to speak to the anesthesiologist on call.

Depakote was not problematic for me under anesthesia.  The old thread is on the cocktails board.

Archived