CrazyBoards.org

Best Sleep Aid?

I have some problems getting to sleep at a good hour, and then with waking up way too early.  I need to try and find a sleep aid that will NOT leave me "hung over" the next day.  Are there any that clear out of the system after around 10 hours?  I appreciate any suggestions and also comments about:

Trazodone

Seroquel

Lunesta

Ambien

Ristoril (sp)

Zyprexa

Remeron

I take 2.5 - 5 mg of Abilify/day, 75 mg of Effexor XR/day, and 40 mg of Methylin/day.  So anything I take for sleep should be compatible with those meds.  I also might add Klonopin, so that could help with the getting to sleep part. 

I have some 100 mg samples of Seroquel but 1) can't seem to break those damn hard pills into halves let alone fourths and 2) wonder if it will hurt to take Seroquel and Abilify?  I believe even the low dose of Abilify helps with my moods so I want to keep it...

Thanks!

hi ahalo,

i am taking 75 mg seroquel to knock me out at night and help with my anxiety. this is the third time i have been on it. there has never been a question for me as to its effectiveness as a sleep aid, but i found it to be too sedating during the daytime when i was on it for the first time. it no longer affects me during the day, but is an awesome knock-out drug at night.

if all else fails, and you are looking strictly for a sleep aid, you could look for gravol (aka. dimenhydrinate i think.) but check if this will conflict with your existing meds of course.

take care,

grouse.

I find Ambien to be very helpful with sleep onset insomnia, however, after taking it for a while its effectiveness seems to have decreased.  My doctor gave me Lunesta to use and to take a break from the Ambien.  The Lunesta definitley isn't as strong, though  ;)

What I've been doing is taking .25mg of Xanax at night along with the Ambien.  This seems to do the trick.

The good thing about Ambien is that it has a short half-life, meaning, for most people, you don't have to deal with the day after hangover effect..

It can't hurt to try it.  Maybe ask your doc for samples.

Jen

i dont have experience with all of the meds, but I am currently on ambien for my horrible insomnia.

first off, i would discuss this all with you doctor...this doesnt mean that you cant do your own research on some of these meds is you'd like (I know that I sometimes do that) but, in the long run, it is your doc who will be doing the perscribing...

lots of people have had success with ambien.  unfortunately, my insomnia has put it to the test and it has sorta pooped out on me.  keep in mind that that does not happen to everyone.  different people experience different effects and different side effects....

talk to your doctor about it and hopefully the two of you will be able to discuss each med and decide which one would be right for you at the present time.

good luck!

~Ophelia

Yeah for pdoc's- give her a call and tell her your concerns. Ophelia is right, a pdoc who will listen and actually take into considersation the research you've done on your own is a pretty spiffy pdoc.

I've been on Seroquel, Lunseta, Geodon, and something else which I just can't remember off the top of my head.

Some people on the boards have recommended me melatonin. I have not tried this myself, but I'm heard some good things about it. Also Valerian Root is supposed to be good. But as usual, talk to your doctor before taking any of these.

I'm now on Klonopin and Ambien to get my ass in bed. Not a bad combination, and I don't wake up icky and groggy.

50 mg seroquel + 100 trazodone helps me like nothing else ever has. The combo also seems to have cut my anxiety levels way back, either in their own right and/or by letting me sleep 4 out of 5 nights.

A pill-chopper-thing is cheap and works well on seroquel and those g.d.pentagonal versions of trazodone pills. Everyplace that sells OTC drugs, even, will have one.

tom

yeah i think the ambien is one of the best too... i hear the lunesta is also very similar and effective for people who dont respond to ambien.

seroquel is good if this whole class of drugs (non-benzodiazepine hypnotics that work similar to benzodiazepines) doesnt help you.

If I take Seroquel for sleep can I still take Abilify?  I'll ask my pdoc but I'm impatient so I figured I'd ask here.  I need something that will help me STAY asleep.  I get a good 5 or 6 hours in, but my brain and body need 8 or even 9 hours in order to function correctly, especially since I've been on Effexor.  I get to sleep fairly well usually, its just staying asleep that's a problem.

Seroquel works, but I don't want to stop my Abilify.  Another option is Trazodone....  Guess I'll see...

50 mg seroquel + 100 trazodone helps me like nothing else ever has. The combo also seems to have cut my anxiety levels way back, either in their own right and/or by letting me sleep 4 out of 5 nights.

A pill-chopper-thing is cheap and works well on seroquel and those g.d.pentagonal versions of trazodone pills. Everyplace that sells OTC drugs, even, will have one.

tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the freaky rare side effects of trazodone for guys is priapism - i.e. - the erection that won't go away.  :)   ;)

Trazodone - good for a first try with medicating for ambien, it worked really well for my minor insomnia periods, but wore off after about a year

Seroquel - works great for some, but can have unwanted side effects. I'd try meds specfically created for falling asleep (hypnotics) before trying this - leave it as a last resort

Lunesta - works for some, didn't work for me, left a really strong metallic aftertaste, can't hurt to try

Ambien - this is what I would try is the Traz doesn't work. Just make sure to go to bed IMMEADATLY go to bed after taking. seriousluy, don't even wait 5 minutes. Cause if you miss the "falling asleep" phase of the med it can cause some really crazt things (halucenateions, memory loss, etc)

Ristoril (sp) - havnt tried it, but I HAVE HEARD it can leave people groggy

Zyprexa - same as seroquel

Remeron - works a lot like trazadone for me, but it made me twich in my sleep.

Just my opinions...

Try the traz, then the ambien or lunesta

Archived