CrazyBoards.org

ahalo

Your Cocktail Deconstructed

A fresh list, a couple of changes not too much:

1. Venlafaxine (Effexor) - 75 mg AM

2. Modafinil (Provigil) - 200 mg AM

3. Methylphenidate XR (Ritalin LA) - 20 mg once in the morning.

4. Atomoxetine (Strattera) - 40 mg at noon.

5. Escitalopram (Lexapro) - 30 mg at noon.

6. Olanzapine (Zyprexa) - 20 mg at noon.

7. Quetiapine (Seroquel) - 25 mg in the morning and 100 at bedtime.

8. Clonazepam (Rivotril) - 1 mg at bedtime.

He took me away two meds, I guess i'm in the good road :)

I can't remember if I posted to this before or not, but even if I did I'm sure it's changed a bit.

• 80mg Duloxetine DR / Cymbalta DR – once a day
  • 450mg Bupropion XL / Wellbutrin XL– once a day
  • 30mg Dextroamphetamine-Amphetamine / Adderall – twice a day

Those are the main ones and then I have PRN's for anxiety and sleep.

• 0.5mg Clonazepam / Klonopin
  • 10mg Propanolol / Inderal
  • 25mg Quetiapine / Seroquel
  • 12.5mg Zolpidem ER / Ambien ER
  • 25mg Hydroxyzine / Vistaril
  • 15mg Temazepam / Restoril
  • 1-3mg Eszopiclone / Lunesta
Edited by psychwardjesus

I can't track down my last post on here because it was a while ago.  What I'm currently taking:

• 300mg lamictal (mood stabilizing antidepressant)
  • 750mg lithium (mood stabilizer, predominantly anti-manic)
  • 2mg prazosin (anti-PTSD nightmares)
  • 16 mg fanapt (antipsychotic)
  • 20 mg zyprexa (antipsychotic, mood stabilizer, sleep)
  • 1 mg klonopin (bedtime anxiety)
  • .75 mg xanax (daytime anxiety)

I know it looks like there are duplicates, but we've tried it with pretty much each of the potential duplicates taken out and it doesn't go well.

Also, 100 mgc synthroid, imitrex and bentyl and zofran PRN, and vitamins B12, D ,and folate.

Edited by dancesintherain

Most of the meds I'm taking are geared towards psych med side effects!

clozapine 500mg (psychosis and mood)

methylphenidate 5mg (sleepiness, likely due to meds)

metoprolol 50mg (mitigate tachycardia from clozapine)

clonazepam 1-2mg PRN (anxiety)

olanzapine 2.5mg PRN (breakthrough psychosis)

atropine sulfate PRN (to reduce drooling related to clozapine)

Edited by aura

On 12/6/2019 at 5:56 PM, aura said:

Most of the meds I'm taking are geared towards psych med side effects!

clozapine 500mg (psychosis and mood)

methylphenidate 5mg (sleepiness, likely due to meds)

metoprolol 50mg (mitigate tachycardia from clozapine)

clonazepam 1-2mg PRN (anxiety)

olanzapine 2.5mg PRN (breakthrough psychosis)

atropine sulfate PRN (to reduce drooling related to clozapine)

Did you ever try glycopyrrolate (Robinul) or benztropin (Cogentin) for the clozapine-induced drooling? I know a lot of doctors don't want to mess with the anticholinergic risk. 

2 hours ago, psychwardjesus said:

Did you ever try glycopyrrolate (Robinul) or benztropin (Cogentin) for the clozapine-induced drooling? I know a lot of doctors don't want to mess with the anticholinergic risk. 

I second glycopyrrolate (Robinul), but benztropine (Cogentin) enters the CNS and causes central anticholinergic effects, including but not limited to blurry vision and inability to focus up close (drug-induce hyperopia).

I take

Gabapetin 300mg 3x a day for anxiety/depression

Prozac 20mg- depression 15mg 

Remron 15mg sleep/depression

Edited by Crowsonate
Spelling error

On 12/25/2019 at 3:56 PM, psychwardjesus said:

I tried glycopyrrolate but it increased my already high pulse rate.

Time to update. Since pdoc increased the Prozac a while back. And changed timing of taking rexulti. No other changes. 

The AAP’s:

Zyprexa Zydis 20mg - treatment resistant psychosis and mood.......20 mg bedtime

Abilify 30 mg - mood stabilizer and treatment resistant psychosis......30 mg bedtime

Rexulti 2mg - treatment resistant psychosis.......2 mg afternoon

The antidepressant:

Prozac 20 mg - BP depression.......10 mg AM

The anti anxiety:

Klonopin 3 mg - severe GAD........1 mg AM, 1 mg afternoon, 1 mg evening/bedtime

The mood stabilizer:

Lamictal 300 mg - mood stabilizer......300 mg bedtime

Birth control:

Yaz - birth control and heavy period control.......one pill AM

Sleep disorders:

Nuvigil 200 mg - sleep disorders/wakefulness.....150 mg AM, 50 mg noon

Hashimoto’s disease:

Synthroid 50 mcg - hashimoto’s disease.....50 mcg AM

Weight control:

Metformin 2,000 mg - weight gain prevention from psych meds.......1,000 mg AM and 1,000 mg evening

Topamax 200 mg - weight management/loss, controlling overeating.....100 mg AM and 100 mg afternoon

Hi, starting the year with positives changes with my pdoc monthly:

1. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) - Welcome pill.. 150mg morning and 150mg evening (quit smoking and i'm feeling is good for depression and ADHD) 

2. Venlafaxine (Effexor) - lowering to 37.5 mg AM and then out. 

3. Modafinil (Zydilo) - 200mg AM

4. Atomoxetine (Strattera) - 60 mg Noon

5. Methylphenidate XR (Ritalin LA) - lowering to 20 mg Noon and then out :(

6. Escitalopram (Lexapro) - 30 mg at evening

7. Quetiapine (Seroquel) - 25 mg in the morning & 150 at bedtime

9. Olanzapine (Zyprexa) - 20 mg in the evening. 

That's it! Greetings. 

• Like 1

Greeting everyone...here are my updates, including blood pressure meds to combat increased heart rate from my adhd meds

1. Strattera 80mg po am

2. Dexedrine Spansules 15mg x4 po am

3. Zenzedi 30mg 1 tablet po bid

4. Paxil 30mg po am

5. Cerefolin (l-methylfolate) po am

6. Namenda 20mg po am

7. Doral 30mg po prn qhs 

8. Edluar 10mg po prn qhs 

9. Lyrica 600mg po qhs

10. Propranolol ER 60mg po am

11. Seroquel 100mg po prn qhs

12. Vraylar 3mg po am

13. Xanax 1mg po tid

I rotate my sleeping meds so one week I will take Doral and the next week I will use Edluar, all to avoid tolerance and prevent them from becoming ineffective. And I don't have dementia, instead I take Namenda to prevent tolerance from building with my ADHD stimulant meds. It works pretty well, for me, at preventing further tolerance but not so good for reducing your tolerance.

Wow when I type out all my meds like this it seems out of control and excessive but I’ve never felt more normal and symptom free. This crazy and complex cocktail just freaking works and honestly I am ok with taking 13 medications because without and meds I am a wreck and life isn’t worth living. Took a lot of persistence to get the doctor to prescribe all this without getting his license revoked by the DEA but I think I have convinced him that I truly need every medication I am on.

Thank God for Carefirst BlueCross BlueShield and my $0 copays for all my meds even when half of what I’m prescribed is brand name only, except the Cerefolin, I have to pay $174 every 3 months but that's not too bad (and I only pay $63 a month for my health insurance premium, shoutout to MarylandHealthConnection.gov)

Edited by mmaryland
Typo

On 1/13/2020 at 9:11 PM, Equilibrium022x said:

Hi, starting the year with positives changes with my pdoc monthly:

1. Bupropion (Wellbutrin) - Welcome pill.. 150mg morning and 150mg evening (quit smoking and i'm feeling is good for depression and ADHD) 

2. Venlafaxine (Effexor) - lowering to 37.5 mg AM and then out. 

3. Modafinil (Zydilo) - 200mg AM

4. Atomoxetine (Strattera) - 60 mg Noon

5. Methylphenidate XR (Ritalin LA) - lowering to 20 mg Noon and then out :(

6. Escitalopram (Lexapro) - 30 mg at evening

7. Quetiapine (Seroquel) - 25 mg in the morning & 150 at bedtime

9. Olanzapine (Zyprexa) - 20 mg in the evening. 

That's it! Greetings. 

What have you thought of the modafinil? I tried it maybe 6 months ago and felt nothing, even at 400mg, which was a little disappointing. 

It's funny how some people swear by it or tell me I'm so lucky to have a doctor willing to prescribe it. Meanwhile, it's just like I swallowed a sugar cube. 

Never post here because rarely do I change my cocktail, it always horribly de-stabilizes me, (and I've tried freaking everything anyway)

1.) Lamictal 125mg (debating on lowering, having difficulties spelling, and my memory seems to be getting worse)

2.) Effexor 75mg (Works well for severe depression, lability, anxiety, but increases apathy for me, which is normal for A/Ds)

3.) Ritalin 30mg extended + 10IR (Been on holiday break nearly 2 months, and it's been terrible. Anhedonia, cognitive dulling, lack of motivation, hypersomnia has all been muuuuuuch worse)

Meet with pdoc in 1 week. I'm not sure what she'll suggest. Probably Abilify, which I've tried and had bad side effects from (increased appetite), I can't stand A/Ps. And it didn't noticeably help anyway....

My mood has been stable (since adding Effexor) but instead, I lay in bed all the time, my brain feels foggier... Will re-instate Ritalin, but I'm afraid it's not a  longterm solution. My anhedonia, apathy, lack of motivation is at a MUCH worse baseline than it was before I even started Ritalin!

Been on Lamictal now for 3 years and worried it could also be leading to slowed cognition. I read that it reduces the transmission rate of neurons or something. Like reducing the excito-stimulatory effect. I often wonder if this could be contributing to anhedonia and general spelling, word finding, memory, etc. Its low dose, so I'm surprised.

Edited by Blahblah

My current cocktail:

Clozapine 325mg bedtime - psychosis and mood stabilization
Lithium 900mg (300mg AM / 600mg bedtime) - mood stabilization / anti-manic
Celexa 30mg AM - depression and anxiety
Xanax 0.5mg TID - anxiety
Pepcid 40mg bedtime - GERD
Colace BID - IBS-C

9 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Never post here because rarely do I change my cocktail, it always horribly de-stabilizes me, (and I've tried freaking everything anyway)

Yep. It's the worst.

1.) Lamictal 125mg (debating on lowering, having difficulties spelling, and my memory seems to be getting worse)

2.) Effexor 75mg (Works well for severe depression, lability, anxiety, but increases apathy for me, which is normal for A/Ds)

Same here. It's horrific depression OR soul-consuming emptiness, it would seem.

3.) Ritalin 30mg extended + 10IR (Been on holiday break nearly 2 months, and it's been terrible. Anhedonia, cognitive dulling, lack of motivation, hypersomnia has all been muuuuuuch worse)

Meet with pdoc in 1 week. I'm not sure what she'll suggest. Probably Abilify, which I've tried and had bad side effects from (increased appetite), I can't stand A/Ps. And it didn't noticeably help anyway....

My mood has been stable (since adding Effexor) but instead, I lay in bed all the time, my brain feels foggier... Will re-instate Ritalin, but I'm afraid it's not a  longterm solution. My anhedonia, apathy, lack of motivation is at a MUCH worse baseline than it was before I even started Ritalin!

Been on Lamictal now for 3 years and worried it could also be leading to slowed cognition. I read that it reduces the transmission rate of neurons or something. Like reducing the excito-stimulatory effect. I often wonder if this could be contributing to anhedonia and general spelling, word finding, memory, etc. Its low dose, so I'm surprised.

Have you considered obtaining Provigil? I've had success with it - temporarily at least - numerous times. The last time, over New Year's, I felt "OK" for 5 whole days when I took 400mg (double the recommended). You need to convince your PDoc that you have daytime somnolence from your meds and/or sleep apnea or... I forget. Or you get it illegally, like I do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  FWIW it's non habit-forming and 99.999%* of the time causes no withdrawal upon cessation.

* Yep, I got severe withdrawals.

22 hours ago, psychwardjesus said:

What have you thought of the modafinil? I tried it maybe 6 months ago and felt nothing, even at 400mg, which was a little disappointing.

I know you didn't ask me, but I too had the sugar pill effect with modafinil even at 400 mg/day. I tried Nuvigil when it was still brand-name and it was a day and night difference. At the highest dose of 250 mg, it helped me stay awake all day, helped me with depression/anhedonia, ADHD, even dissociation, lose weight, etc., but it was too expensive and I didn't know about copay coupons at the time, and I abandoned it. Years later, it went generic, and a few years after that (now) I asked to try Nuvigil, knowing it has gone generic. I got prescribed 200 mg/day, and I feel nothing. If anything, actually, I felt more sleepy at first than before I started it, I almost quit it, but I stuck with it. I ran out of it recently, and I honestly can't tell if I feel a difference without it. (In short, Brand-name is superior at least IME, but generic is useless...) Maybe trying different generic brands might be worth trying, if insurance will pay for other brands and pharmacy is willing to do it.

11 hours ago, Blahblah said:

I would only try Abilify if other options have been exhausted. I just posted about it a little while ago. Most people don't consider it a heavy hitter, but since taking Abilify 5 years ago, I have no imagination, no positive affect, have been completely dysphoric, anhedonic, etc., can't think properly/cognitive side effects/etc., feel like an empty shell of a person. It was great the first month, and then after a while, for about a year and a half, but I felt empty and without personality or creativity.

Lamictal can actually stabilize you "too much." The "antidepressant" effect isn't necessarily dose dependent IME, and I've heard that higher doses can actually flatten most people. I went up to 400 mg and the cognitive side effects were immense, the flattening tangible/palpable, and other side effects like tremor were horrible. I went down to 150 mg/day while coming on Zonegran, which I eventually replaced Lamictal with, and it worked well for several years for me until my neurologist replaced it with Topamax, which... ugh...But if you're not bipolar, you might actually consider ditching the lamotrigine if it's not helping you, or at least trying a lower dose (like 50 mg/day). It does reduce glutamatergic neurotransmission, which is excitatory in nature. The glutamate theory I believe (I could be wrong) holds that depression is due to hyperglutamatergic neurotransmission (excessive glutamate), and that lowering glutamate release can help with depression (I believe this is specifically bipolar depression, but I could be wrong). There are other anti-glutamatergic drugs, and you may even try something to increase glutamate (what I don't know) with your pdoc's permission of course, because the opposite may be true in MDD depression.

Ritalin and other stimulants can downregulate your dopamine receptors (I believe), hence causing a need for increased dose for the same effect, and you will start "chasing the high," even at therapeutic doses/levels, and the "high" you're chasing is a "therapeutic high," not a recreational one. It's hard to avoid.

With amphetamines, at least, there are ways to potentiate its effects which would allow you to stay at the same dose longer ideally, like alkalizing your stomach/body chemistry/urine with calcium carbonate or something else alkalizing, like through diet, etc.; taking either memantine (Namenda) or magnesium glycinate to prevent tolerance, both of which work as a NMDA receptor antagonists; and taking zinc (a good zinc supplement, not zinc gluconate for sure), which binds to the DAT at a special binding site, and potentiates the effects of amphetamine through inhibiting this binding site. May work with methylphenidate too (not sure), but it has been documented with dextroamphetamine.

Effexor at low doses is essetially an SSRI, and it could be that you need more serotonin if your mood was stabilized by the addition of Effexor. There are ways of countering the apathy/serotonin "blahs," though I believe you've tried all or most of them that should've worked, one being raising the dose of Effexor to 150 mg or above, 225 mg being ideal to gain the benefit of both SRI and NRI. I seem to remember you reacted negatively to trying to increase the Effexor. Trying a low dose of escitalopram (5 mg) might help you enough without triggering the typical Lexapro Lethargy that so many people get. Zoloft and Prozac might be others to try, but I'm sure you've tried them already...

1 hour ago, sming said:

Same here. It's horrific depression OR soul-consuming emptiness, it would seem

OMG SAAAAME....

• Vortioxetine 20mg - anti-depressant
  • Valproic acid 1500mg - Anti-manic, mood stabilizer
  • Gabapentin  900mg - anxiety
  • Aripiprazole  - 15mg - Anti-manic, mood stabilizer
  • Trazodone 100mg - Insomnia
  • Quetiapine ER - 400mg - Anti-manic,mood stabilizer,antidepressant,anti-anxiety
Edited by morpheus

12 hours ago, sming said:

Yep. It's the worst.

Same here. It's horrific depression OR soul-consuming emptiness, it would seem.

Have you considered obtaining Provigil? I've had success with it - temporarily at least - numerous times. The last time, over New Year's, I felt "OK" for 5 whole days when I took 400mg (double the recommended). You need to convince your PDoc that you have daytime somnolence from your meds and/or sleep apnea or... I forget. Or you get it illegally, like I do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  FWIW it's non habit-forming and 99.999%* of the time causes no withdrawal upon cessation.

* Yep, I got severe withdrawals.

Yep exactly...... And to make things worse, many pdocs think it's great that you're "functioning" when the horrific depression ends. I feel like most of them just want to numb you in order to keep you out of the hospital - they feel that this is "good enough" !? Ah nope, I need to be able to function in a full-time job and not stare out the window all day in silence. I've also read that people that are numb & suffering from anhedonia are actually MORE apt to commit suicide...

I will look into Provigil, I'm not sure how the mechanism is different from other stimulants - is it also schedule 2? I know it promotes wakefulness, but I'm not sure if that will also promote better moods?

10 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I would only try Abilify if other options have been exhausted. I just posted about it a little while ago. Most people don't consider it a heavy hitter, but since taking Abilify 5 years ago, I have no imagination, no positive affect, have been completely dysphoric, anhedonic, etc., can't think properly/cognitive side effects/etc., feel like an empty shell of a person. It was great the first month, and then after a while, for about a year and a half, but I felt empty and without personality or creativity.

Lamictal can actually stabilize you "too much." The "antidepressant" effect isn't necessarily dose dependent IME, and I've heard that higher doses can actually flatten most people. I went up to 400 mg and the cognitive side effects were immense, the flattening tangible/palpable, and other side effects like tremor were horrible. I went down to 150 mg/day while coming on Zonegran, which I eventually replaced Lamictal with, and it worked well for several years for me until my neurologist replaced it with Topamax, which... ugh...But if you're not bipolar, you might actually consider ditching the lamotrigine if it's not helping you, or at least trying a lower dose (like 50 mg/day). It does reduce glutamatergic neurotransmission, which is excitatory in nature. The glutamate theory I believe (I could be wrong) holds that depression is due to hyperglutamatergic neurotransmission (excessive glutamate), and that lowering glutamate release can help with depression (I believe this is specifically bipolar depression, but I could be wrong). There are other anti-glutamatergic drugs, and you may even try something to increase glutamate (what I don't know) with your pdoc's permission of course, because the opposite may be true in MDD depression.

Ritalin and other stimulants can downregulate your dopamine receptors (I believe), hence causing a need for increased dose for the same effect, and you will start "chasing the high," even at therapeutic doses/levels, and the "high" you're chasing is a "therapeutic high," not a recreational one. It's hard to avoid.

With amphetamines, at least, there are ways to potentiate its effects which would allow you to stay at the same dose longer ideally, like alkalizing your stomach/body chemistry/urine with calcium carbonate or something else alkalizing, like through diet, etc.; taking either memantine (Namenda) or magnesium glycinate to prevent tolerance, both of which work as a NMDA receptor antagonists; and taking zinc (a good zinc supplement, not zinc gluconate for sure), which binds to the DAT at a special binding site, and potentiates the effects of amphetamine through inhibiting this binding site. May work with methylphenidate too (not sure), but it has been documented with dextroamphetamine.

Effexor at low doses is essetially an SSRI, and it could be that you need more serotonin if your mood was stabilized by the addition of Effexor. There are ways of countering the apathy/serotonin "blahs," though I believe you've tried all or most of them that should've worked, one being raising the dose of Effexor to 150 mg or above, 225 mg being ideal to gain the benefit of both SRI and NRI. I seem to remember you reacted negatively to trying to increase the Effexor. Trying a low dose of escitalopram (5 mg) might help you enough without triggering the typical Lexapro Lethargy that so many people get. Zoloft and Prozac might be others to try, but I'm sure you've tried them already...

OMG SAAAAME....

Ugh. Yeah I'm not thrilled about Abilify but don't know what else to try. That's super discouraging about the longterm effects for you. With Lamictal, I totally agree, years ago I was up to 350mg (stupid pdoc was overmedicating me, convinced I was Bipolar). I definitely had the stupids and more flatness. It definitely helped when I first started it, I felt subtle balancing, calming effect at 75mg. I like how it balanced my moods but wasn't sedating or agitating, didn't make me feel weird & not myself - now maybe like with other meds, you're brain adjusts and things stop working, etc.

Yeah, I def feel my brain has downregulated from  the Ritalin 😞 Do you know how long it takes for that to change? Its not permanent is it??? My pdoc doesn't prescribe Adderall, so it's difficult to get any of this as I'm in EU.

I know Effexor lower is basically an SSRI, I thought it would be less dulling that Citalopram or Prozac. Higher doses just gave me more side effects. I have basically tried all of them. Apparently, my brain does benefit from a bit of Serotonin, because I no longer have the horrific crying spells or the hellish PMDD. Maybe the dose needs to be lowered or tweaked? I read that more Serotonin leads to decreased Dopamine (I'm sure it's more complicated than my explanation)?

It's just this soul-sucking lack of motivation,  interest and apathy. Ugh, this is why I am always tempted to taper off everything and just f&cking start from scratch. Zero. Washout. I find it ridiculous that none of these meds are not without side effects...and many that DON'T seem to have side effects eventually do over the long term!! (or they just stop working, OR like Ritalin, you just have to keep increasing). Then the doc starts adding a bunch of sh&t to counteract the crap from other meds.....Just band-aids all of them.

And I don't feel THAT much better, or any more functional.

Edited by Blahblah