CrazyBoards.org

BAD Caregivers!

Once I was led down a cold hallway alone with a strange man (I got to the psych ward at about 2am) and he took me into a room. I was instructed to get into a hospital gown. I did. Then he told me he had to pad me down (in my gown) as well as inspect my clothes!!!! Talk about horrific! I stood my ground (in the midst of mania I had some balls) and told him that I would not comply, that this was sexual misconduct and he'd better get a female nurse over here or I was going to sue them to hell. AND that I was personally going to beat the shit out of him and KILL him if he touched me!!! (Mania does give you the balls and the physical ability to be that "assertive"!!!)

Thought he could take advantage of poor mentally ill women, huh??!!

He ran, probably rightfully afraid for his life and future reproductive abilities.

I ended up telling the female nurse in person and told the hospital right away in writing that if I saw this guy around me at all, if he touched me or my stuff or if I even saw him, that I was going sue them to hell. BTW- I didn't even allow the female nurse to touch me. I told her that if I was wearing only a hospital gown that it would have to be good enough, and that she also had no permission to touch me. She complied.

I never did see him! The hospital, as well as the pervert, were probably pretty well aware that I was NOT in the mood for games! What a pervert!!!

There are many people who might not be able to do what you did.  A lot of us, when dealing with any type of healthcare workers- GP, pdoc, orderly, etc.- can be intimidated. 

I am really glad you posted this. 

Ultimately, these people are to help us get better.

A good thing for all of us to keep in mind at any time when we might feel uncomfortable at an appointment or see that someone is acting inappropriately/unprofessionally. 

I'm sorry you had to deal with such an ass.  I hope he is unable to do anything like that again.

~navy~

chUCKIT -  ;) that sounds probably even worse than being potentially molested in the psych ward!

Now, it does compound my paranoia that police officers are only out to get me in the dark somewhere and rape me-

but bad things can happen anywhere!

Good for you for standing up for yourselves. It is hard involving authority figures, like cops or random "clinicians" in the psych ward.

Once I was led down a cold hallway alone with a strange man (I got to the psych ward at about 2am) and he took me into a room. I was instructed to get into a hospital gown. I did. Then he told me he had to pad me down (in my gown) as well as inspect my clothes!!!! Talk about horrific! I stood my ground (in the midst of mania I had some balls) and told him that I would not comply, that this was sexual misconduct and he'd better get a female nurse over here or I was going to sue them to hell. AND that I was personally going to beat the shit out of him and KILL him if he touched me!!! (Mania does give you the balls and the physical ability to be that "assertive"!!!)

He ran, probably rightfully afraid for his life and future reproductive abilities.

I ended up telling the female nurse in person and told the hospital right away in writing that if I saw this guy around me at all, if he touched me or my stuff or if I even saw him, that I was going sue them to hell. BTW- I didn't even allow the female nurse to touch me. I told her that if I was wearing only a hospital gown that it would have to be good enough, and that she also had no permission to touch me. She complied.

I never did see him! The hospital, as well as the pervert, were probably pretty well aware that I was NOT in the mood for games! What a pervert!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as navy said, I think it is very goos that you posted this experience for us to see.  i, personally, get intimidated by doctors and have been treated inappropriately and in a way that made me feel uncomfortable.  It is great that you stood up for yourself... even when going for treatment, hopefully none of us should have to find ourselves in an unnecessary situation that causes us to feel uncomfortable.  I'm sorry that you had to experience that, but it can be used for good: to show others that they too can question their treatment when out of your comfort zone....

thanks Loon-A-TiK

~Ophelia

• 3 years later...
Guest Guest_steve_*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as navy said, I think it is very goos that you posted this experience for us to see.

FEMALE NURSES ARE PERVERTS AND UNPROFESSIONAL

FEMALE NURSES GROPE UNCONSCIOUS MALE PATIENTS

Ok, Guest. That is quite a claim. Not to mention, it is completely unsubstantiated and just plain wrong. To say that all female nurses are bad is just stupid. And I also cannot believe that you had to unearth a thread that is more than three years old in order to say what you did.

Thanks for trolling. Have a nice day.

I was admitted into a "behavioral health center" (nicer word for psych ward i guess they thought) this time last year for a sleeping medication overdose. Honest to god I was not trying to kill myself; I hadn't slept in 4 days and just wanted to get the hell to sleep. They didn't believe me and since I refused to check myself in, I was committed.

They pumped me full of so much freaking medication. Heavy tranquilizers, anti-psychotics, mood stabilizers...you name it. They kept me for 12 days because they didn't think I was trying to get better because I slept all day long. I physically could not get out of bed. I was so drugged up I couldn't walk, or talk, or even eat like a normal person. I asked the doctors repeatedly to please lower my dosage of medication....that it was making me worse. Because I was so sedated, I couldn't participate or even make it to group 90% of the time, When I did, I would fall asleep. They said I was fighting treatment and being uncooperative and took away my phone and visitation privileges. Obviously I got more depressed. Eventually I started fighting the medication, realizing that my scarce amount of participation was keeping me there. Also, I gave in and said I had been trying to kill myself, because they didn't believe me anyway. Eventually my body developed a tolerance to the medications and the effects lessened, though now my parents tell me that if they didn't know me they would have thought at the time that I was mentally retarded. All those heavy medications did was bring me so low that I didn't leave the house for months; didn't even leave my bedroom except to use the bathroom, get food or smoke a cigarette. I have been off most everything for almost 6 months and am doing better than I have in a few years. I am not even close to fine, I still have a long way to go but I hold that hospital responsible for almost a year of something that cannot even remotely be called living.

Sorry for going off topic, I was just thinking of bad caregiving. I am very glad you stood up for yourself...I believe you saved yourself a lot of stress and trauma, though it must have been very difficult. Good for you!

When I was hospitalized for bipolar depression at 14 and asked to call my mother after someone else did a very nasty tech told me no and that life wasn't fair and I'd better get used to it. Heartwarming isn't it?

When I was in treatment, I needed to use a nicotine patch. That night, I vomited up everything I ate. No one cared, one of the nurses actually said 'its the sickness in your brain' that's making you puke it all up. Needless to say, I took the patch off. I'm going to file a complaint against them.

I can definitely see where you all are coming from. I work with some mean ass nurses. I get really tired of hearing in report "So and so is gamey/faking/manipulative/a pain in the ass." I get looked at as soft because I listen to and advocate for my patients. I will call bullsh*t when I see it but I always try to find the source of someone's behavior and confront them about working on it.

I also ignore other nurses' opinions of a patient until I see them myself.

There is amount of "tough love" but if you convey the right message, the patient should be able to see that you are doing what is best for them...eventually. Personality disorders are a different matter, though. I always call them out on their behavior on the first sign of games. (Sorry if anyone is offended but personality disorders are disorders for a reason)

I don't know why some nurses are so horrible. Maybe they are burnt out, maybe they are too jaded...I don't know. Maybe they can't pass muster with 100% cognizant patients so they try to hide their inadequacies by working in Psych...I don't know.

That being said, don't lump us all in one basket. If it weren't for Psych nurses, who else would put up with the shit they do when they have a ward full of sick people that no "normal" person would have the balls set foot in? Whether you like it or not, most are there to help you and nothing is personal. Sometimes, patient behavior hurts us as much as it hurts you. We put time, sweat, effort and HOPE into our patients' recovery. When the patient throws it away, its a slap in the face.

That being said, don't lump us all in one basket. If it weren't for Psych nurses, who else would put up with the shit they do when they have a ward full of sick people that no "normal" person would have the balls set foot in? Whether you like it or not, most are there to help you and nothing is personal. Sometimes, patient behavior hurts us as much as it hurts you. We put time, sweat, effort and HOPE into our patients' recovery. When the patient throws it away, its a slap in the face.

Still, it's extremely frustrating as a patient to be at your absolute worst, most vulnerable state and be treated anything but very gently. It's embarrassing being in the hospital, and a lot of times even though a person may be floridly symptomatic, the core of his or her person is still there-- and that's the part that gets so wounded.

Your words are the sentiment that I try to keep in my mind at the most frustrating of times. If its bad for me, I can't imagine what its like for the patient.

People ask me why I do Psych and my answer is this: No other disease or condition robs a person of the human experience like mental illness. Someone with cancer or diabetes is still able to experience love, hope and happiness. Many people with mental illness are not. They are losing out on what makes them human, what sets us apart from animals: the ability to experience all that is good about life. Without the mind, the body cannot function.

Susan, your observations are again, right on the mark.

Many people with mental illness are not. They are losing out on what makes them human, what sets us apart from animals: the ability to experience all that is good about life.

I'm not so sure about the people vs. animals thing. I've seen many animals that were quite convinced they were experiencing all that is good about life in those particular moments. "Sane" humans seem to have a peculiar capacity for convincing themselves otherwise.

Your words are the sentiment that I try to keep in my mind at the most frustrating of times. If its bad for me, I can't imagine what its like for the patient.

I'm tempted to ask what it's like being both a nurse and a patient. From what I've heard, the hospitals rarely take care of "their own" in a positive manner.

Many people with mental illness are not. They are losing out on what makes them human, what sets us apart from animals: the ability to experience all that is good about life.

I'm not so sure about the people vs. animals thing. I've seen many animals that were quite convinced they were experiencing all that is good about life in those particular moments. "Sane" humans seem to have a peculiar capacity for convincing themselves otherwise.

Touche. Maybe its our ability to think/over-think about it that screws us up.

I'm tempted to ask what it's like being both a nurse and a patient. From what I've heard, the hospitals rarely take care of "their own" in a positive manner.

You know... because I firmly believe in dispelling stigma and treating MI like any other illness, I am open about my diagnosis. I wouldn't hide the fact that I was diabetic, would I? Nope. I also wasn't going to be able to hide it for long. Its not like I give a report on myself at the start of each shift but I will talk about my experiences with co-workers I am close to and even our unit psychiatrist when they ask. In the beginning, I avoided the psychiatrist as much as possible because I was afraid he'd figure me out as soon as I opened my mouth but after 2 years I was comfortable enough with him as a friend to ask for a referral. I also realized that 3/5 of my co-workers were on something, ADs or Benzos. I trust the co-workers I am close to, the others I could really care less about what they think. If anyone has a problem with people with MI, they have no business working in Psych.

I also brought in a memoir written by a Prof. of Psychiatry about her BPAD just to drive home the point that you can treat and be treated successfully. Its called "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Redfield Jamison.

Whenever we have a former Psych nurse as a patient, many of the nurses are automatically skeptical of her. They assume she "knows how it works" and will try to get away with something...what, I don't know. Docs tend to get more sympathy.

I'm glad this topic was brought up again. If I was in the same situation as Loon-A-Tik (although only when in my depressed stage, not manic) I probably would of felt so low and embarrassed to have to be there that I wouldn't of even registered that the nurse was being a perve and would of passively let him pat me down. Then later when I was well again, it would of registered and I would of blamed myself for it.

When I was 16 a doctor molestered me & I was so scared and intimidated and I guess used to being abused that I actually went back for a second appointment and got abused again. STUPID STUPID STUPID. I've never told anyone that before, probaly because I feel so stupid over it. Well, at the time I told my BF who I was living with. He called the doc and screamed profanities at him and then blamed me for it and knocked me around over it.

Anyway... It's good this topic was brought up again 'cause it will make people think. Speak up if it feels wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

i wasn't molested while inpatient. I was dx'd bipolar II on my first inpatient but the docs don't know if that is right. I was sent to a detox ward without being drunk or on drugs. I was accused of reeking of alcohol, and having done drugs. I hate even pot. I don't drink an awful lot, and I don't do hardcore drugs. I spent almost a week of telling doctors they're wrong. I even said, if you smell alcohol on me I am having a medical problem and you need to get me proper treatment.

When I left and got my papers there was no alcohol blood level. The real screwed up part is on the first night there a nurse came into my room and said they were giving me a "sleeping pill." I remember this clearly. Of course the sleeping pill showed up in my blood work, and they said I took it which would account from my "drunken" appearance. The admitting nurse refused to tell me where I was going and copped attitude and judged me the whole time like I had done something wrong. I was just depressed.

For that experience I don't trust doctors, nor do I trust their labelling. I have tried to see psychiatrists and counsellors now and rebuild my trust, but a lot of them do not see the bipolar disorder label I received on that stay, and my treatment course went in an extremely different direction, probably the right direction.

Still, it's extremely frustrating as a patient to be at your absolute worst, most vulnerable state and be treated anything but very gently. It's embarrassing being in the hospital, and a lot of times even though a person may be floridly symptomatic, the core of his or her person is still there-- and that's the part that gets so wounded.

I feel like what my experience in psychiatry has done is gone in and scar that part of me even more making it hard to function in day to day life. Originally that part of me has needed the most fixing possible, and it's been left to fester.

As for the hospital mishap- I've been called a liar for it. Yet it seems very obvious they put me there out of error, and didn't want to deal with the error. It was a slap in the face to get the wrong treatment and to have to spend so much time sorting it out, to get the right treatment.

Archived