CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
ryanddeee

Obsessive Ruminations: What meds work for you?

I'm late to the party on this but...

Did you describe your actual symptoms to your pdoc or did you recite the symptoms you learned of while doing research on the topic of dissociation? Or possibly a mixture of both?

Since you have OCD ruminations, you might have very well ruminated on the subject of you having characteristics of dissociation to the point of convincing yourself you are experiencing symptoms that you actually are not. 

I ask because you were so enthusiastic about your discovery of dissociation that you think it changed the entire course of your life.  That's a big statement.  I just want you to get treated for symptoms you are actually experiencing instead of wasting time on treatment courses that may not be best suited for what you are experiencing. 

Now, by all means, if you are experiencing symptoms of dissociation, tell your pdoc and get the treatment you need!! I'm definitely not trying to imply that you are for sure confusing symptoms.  I just know that, at least from my experience, I/my anxiety can do an awesome job of convincing myself that I have all these symptoms/diseases/etc that I actually don't have.  (Like, I'm 95% sure I'm pregnant every month.  And then I get my period.  And then I feel silly.)

Umm. I'm not a doctor.

I do, however, have one hefty case of Pure OCD.

There have been times when I get so overwhelmed and wrapped up in OCD insanity that I really start having symptoms of an anxiety attack... which happen to often mimic the feeling of "depersonalization".

The prevalence of anxiety disorders is greater than that of  "depersonalization disorder" [or dissociation].

There is a saying in the medical/psych community:

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras"

Just something to think about.

Sources:  

Depersonalization disorder: pharmacological approaches

Anxiety Disorder Among Adults

Ya, take everyone's advice becuz honestly I don't know what you have but , to me that was just my opinion. I also think getting your doctor to tell you an letting him examine you as much as possible. He would be the one to tell you if you have this or that. Also. When my pure o hit in 08 I would get answers from everybody that would fit the discription of what I was going thru. And what that did was give me relief but, only for a short time. So ya I can and could be feeding your OCD if that is what it is. CBT is helpful....Med's lik SSRI's are helpful....But, if you can get past the point where you stop asking the questions and answering them then your on your way to recovery. Thats my opinion any body here can disagree but if you don't have OCD pls don't check me.

I have a seroious problem. Does anyone else constantly obssesse about themselves? I get these crazy perception shifts and views about the why we think. Well, probably the way I think. It's like every thought I have I think about why I had that thought or what part of me generated it. Also when I'm around people it's like I'm only there phsyicly. I am constantly watching my own actions and thoughts from an "internal" outside perception. I keep thinking the things my mind generates are real and wish I could unlearn them. I'm so lost in my head. I try meditAtion and talk therapy but it's like my head can debunk everything I try with certain " insight" and perception shifts. Is there anything that can help me?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By AbilifyedBunny
      Hello crazyboards,
      I wanted some feedback on the difference between typicals and atypicals...specifically Abilify versus Prolixin.
      I have been taking Abilify for years which means I have had to live with sh**y side effects for a while now.  I got to the point where I could no longer tolerate the side effects so I decided it was time for another med change.  Also, I finally realized that the Abilify could be a contributing factor to my weight problem.  
      My doctor suggested Prolixin and I agreed to try it.  I remember being on Prolixin for a short period of time in the past and I don't recall any awful or intolerable side effects.  The reason I quit the drug was an entirely different story all together which had nothing to do with the medication its self.
      I have been struggling to find the right medication for years.  I tried just about every option available to me with my previous psychiatrist.  The trouble is that the meds work but they all cause intolerable side effects.  Even the medications used to counter those side effects, have their own awful side effects.  Both my previous and current psychiatrist recommended trying the older "typical" antipsychotics at low doses.  Both of them said that their patients experienced less side effects on those medications at low doses, than with the atypicals.  Since I am already on a very low dose of Abilify anyway, I figured it was a perfect fit.
      I wanted to know if there are any marked differences between Abilify and Prolixin for the better or worse...in general and in terms of side effects.
      I had gotten used to the sh**y side effects of Abilify although some of them seem to have worsened or I have developed new ones over time.
      If this cocktail doesn't work, I am at the point where I am greatly considering going off of meds all together (safely by titrating down).  However, I don't really feel that being medication-free is an option for me.  Unfortunately, I am one of those people who seems to greatly benefit from medication and struggle without it.
      Ps. Another side note: I had to quit cannabis due to my medication which is a major bummer.  Ever since I started taking antipsychotics, years ago, cannabis began affecting me differently to the point where it wasn't worth it.  It began interacting with the meds and causing adverse effects as well as dulling the high. I am hoping this changes once I start taking typicals, seeing as they work a little bit differently.

• By Blahblah
      I know many people here have taken Abilify longterm as an adjunct, but I am honestly worried about longterm side effects (weight gain, akasthia). I trialed it twice and it made me constantly hungry, wanting to eat everything (I tried both 2mg, 5mg), made me tap my feet a lot.
      I wonder if taking it only on the week that I am very symptomatic (week before menstruation) it would be effective? Is Abilify something that kicks in within a few days of taking it? My other thought was biting the bullet and using Risperdone for this week (which I really hated when I was on it daily, it made me a zombie, and my Prolactin shot through the roof)
      The symptoms I want to treat (happen @ 4-7 days per month) are: dysphoria, hypersensitivity, severe depression, anger, uncontrollable crying to exhaustion, suicidal ideations, ruminations, stress and some heart palpitations.
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.

• By BipolarBicyclist
      I made the prolonged mistake of not refilling my meds for about 3 weeks. Whoops! I'm on 20 mg of aripiprazole (Abilify) and 200 mg of lamotrigine (Lamictal), which I've been on for about 2 years in varying doses. So my friends finally took me to the pharmacist today to pick them up, but I want to make sure I'm safe about going back on. Should I slowly increase dosages? Or can I just start back on my normal amount ASAP? I would go to a psychiatrist to figure this out, but I there aren't any appointments for another 2 weeks.
    • By Abilifyscared
      Hello out there,
      i am so very desperate.  I was perscribed Abilify 2.5mg in July 2018.  Because I was struggling with inner restlessness and my symptoms were returning, I decided to discontinue at the beginning or December 2018 (5 weeks ago).  Since discontinuing I have experienced anxiety that is terrifying.  I have very little rest from it... terrible insomnia.  Many days I feel I can’t go on.  I returned to my doctor a week ago and she has started me on Sertraline, and has given me a few diazipam.  I was so desperate I went to the hospital yesterday and have been put under the care of the psychiatric team and have been given some sleeping tablets to help me sleep, which didn’t work very well last night.  I am scared that the withdrawals will never end. Is there anyone out there that has experienced similar? 
      Af x