CrazyBoards.org

Can being legally wacko get you denied

Well... there are certain professions where one's mental stability or the fact that they're medicated may very well be detrimental to the position, either to the point of getting medical approval or not being able to get the position at all.

But, it's rare.

And degrees can give you a wider range of job options than you think.  Hey--with my B.A. in Business Administration (concentration in Management), I've worked at several jobs, none of them having anything to do with what I thought I'd be doing.

But, they all had qualifications, which my degree met.  And, I liked most of them (sadly, temp jobs).  But you'd be surprised how important just having a degree can be, even if it's only slightly relevant to a position.

Guest Narcathex

This isn't meant to sound flippant, but anything requiring a firearms permit/possession of firearms.  This only applies if you've been taken into impatient through legal action/against your will (I think.)  This rules out cop, security guard, military etc.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I know a BP gun enthusiast who fears getting committed for this very reason. 

Other than that, I don't think most jobs can requisition medical records of that nature.  As stated previously, I think most government enforcement jobs can.  Perhaps some medical professions as well.  I was advised against training to become a psychiatrist for that reason.  (That and I suck at science.)

Airline pilot. Apparently, if you're an airline pilot and you have any sign of mental illness, you'll lose your license. Which of course means that airline pilots never get help, because that would mean losing their jobs.

Yet another reason I like driving...

Airline pilot is the only one I've heard for sure.  I don't think being any type of M.D. is prohibited by MI; look at Kay Redfield Jamison who has authored several books on MI, including some on her own struggles with bipolar and some severe episodes she's had.  Not only is she a pdoc, she's also a practicing professor of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. 

I've worked as a government contractor for private firms and know that it's possible to get security clearances while being treated for MI.  Your pdoc will likely be contacted and have to agree that your behavior is stable and under control with meds.  I don't know if you could get the absolute highest level of security clearance, but unless you've got your sights set on running the C.I.A., I doubt that would be an issue.

I have read other places here on the boards where you can be in the military if your MI is under control, with some caveats, such as recent seizures.  For things like the military and security clearances the concern is if you're stable, and also if you have some sort of problem that would make you willing to consider bribery.  Bankruptcy or other bad finances would probably cause you as much trouble on a security clearance investigation as the fact that you're being treated for a MI, assuming you're treatment is working and you're stable. 

Legally MI is covered under the Americans With Disabilites Act which means that employers are required to make reasonable accomodations for you and can't legally discriminate against you solely because you're in treatment for MI; also you don't have to disclose anything about your MI to a prospective employer.  There's lots of information about all the details of how ADA plays out on NAMI's website.

I would also encourage you to pursue what you enjoy and not let thoughts of how others will regard your MI to affect your education or career decisions.  I don't know your age, but it's also good to keep in mind that the average person today ends up with something like five to seven different careers before they retire, so whatever you decide, it's not written in stone.  If you don't like it or it doesn't like you, you can always go on to something different. 

This isn't meant to sound flippant, but anything requiring a firearms permit/possession of firearms.  This only applies if you've been taken into impatient through legal action/against your will (I think.)  This rules out cop, security guard, military etc.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I know a BP gun enthusiast who fears getting committed for this very reason. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Affirmative.

Didn't want a gun, anyway. Machete makes so much grander of a statement.

Archived