CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFemale

I am considering working less to qualify for benefits.

Because the more I work, the less it's worth it.
I can't qualify for any assistance, yet I can't get by either.

And it's killing me.

I don't know what's worse.

I am not able to afford food, so I eat at work, and go to my moms when I am starving. But even then, the gas gets hefty.

I don't know how to manage my money any better than I do.

I make around 1,200 a month.
300 goes to rent.
100 goes to car insurance.
100 goes to health insurance.
100 goes to utilites.

50 to cable.

150 to cell phone.

100 to gas.

that leaves me with 300 dollars for other expenses
I am a smoker, pack a day, and I can't seem to quit.
That costs me roughly 200 bucks a month.
Leaving me with 100 bucks for food or anything else that I need.
And let's be honest, food is not the first thing I usually consider.
After I lost some weight, none of my scrub bottoms fit. So I have like 3 or 4 bottoms that I can MAYBE get by wearing. I need to be able to afford to buy more. And my shoes...the toes are literally coming off. They are so old and falling apart. I need things like toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, I need money to go to the laundromat, I'd LOVE to be able to afford some makeup. idk im just ranting but at this point I am wondering if it would be worth it to get food assistance

cheaper health insurance

cheaper rent

etc

even if i didn't make as much, maybe it would equal out to me having more money in my pocket to buy the things i need

and god forbid

the things i want

I might not get food stamps either at 1200/month.  They dont care how you spend the money; it is the whole income and assets that count toward whether or not you get FS.

Which is why I am considering working less, in order to make less, in order to get more help. I think it could potentially be more beneficial to my financial situation, but I am just not sure.

based on how hard you are knocking yourself out at work, i think your idea is worth a try - i hope it works out well, you deserve to have it easier or maybe better said less tough - you do way more than your fair share is what it sounds like - is there a way you could calculate the change and effect of less hours in terms of getting benefits anonymously?

Your cable -  is that for internet?   If yes, could help you with the cell phone - see below.  If for TV, cancel it - then buy this antenna for $22 - watch TV for free.

$150/month for cell phone?  Wow!  That's $1800 / year. Get out of that contract. Look into Republic Wireless - $20 / month - after you purchase the $259 Motorola DEFY XT phone. Payback time - 2 months. After that, you save $121 / month ($1452 / year). 

Be well.

Which is why I am considering working less, in order to make less, in order to get more help. I think it could potentially be more beneficial to my financial situation, but I am just not sure.

I agree with you. I think it can be beneficial to some people.  IF I was able to start working, my overall income would be less than it would be not working.  

If you go to this website:  http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/

there is a tool for helping you figure out if you are eligible for food stamps.  You can try changing the numbers around to see if you are eligible at different income levels to figure out if you would get more if you worked less.

$150 is a lot to pay for cell phone service.  I have a pre-paid plan through T-Moble that I love.  I had to pay for the phone up front, but my monthly service fee is only $50, and everything (calls, texts, and internet) is unlimited.  If you shop around, you may be able to find something cheaper. 

Your cable -  is that for internet?   If yes, could help you with the cell phone - see below.  If for TV, cancel it - then buy this antenna for $22 - watch TV for free.

$150/month for cell phone?  Wow!  That's $1800 / year. Get out of that contract. Look into Republic Wireless - $20 / month - after you purchase the $259 Motorola DEFY XT phone. Payback time - 2 months. After that, you save $121 / month ($1452 / year). 

Be well.

I can cancel my cable, but I can't get out of this cell phone contract. I am on my moms plan, and none of us can afford to opt out right now. My cell phone bill is what I get internet from. My cable, however, is just insanely expensive for basic channels. I want to cancel it, but even then, it doesn't really do much to help my situation. I save 50 bucks, but I still can't afford food, or anything extra. :/

If you go to this website:  http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/

there is a tool for helping you figure out if you are eligible for food stamps.  You can try changing the numbers around to see if you are eligible at different income levels to figure out if you would get more if you worked less.

$150 is a lot to pay for cell phone service.  I have a pre-paid plan through T-Moble that I love.  I had to pay for the phone up front, but my monthly service fee is only $50, and everything (calls, texts, and internet) is unlimited.  If you shop around, you may be able to find something cheaper. 

lame

i grossed 827 and that makes me ineligible

i tried to figure how much i would get if i grossed 600 and it's a max of 55 bucks a month

which i could save just by cutting cable

fuck my life

Cancel your cable. That gives your $50/month for . . . shoes, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, makeup, laundromat trips . . .

Get a roommate - cut your rent and utilities in half. Alternately, move into your mom's basement.

Live near an Indian reservation? Go there and buy your cigarettes tax free. Or online.

Try to get more hours at work (esp. overtime).

Cancel your cable. That gives your $50/month for . . . shoes, toilet paper, paper towels, cleaning supplies, makeup, laundromat trips . . .

Get a roommate - cut your rent and utilities in half. Alternately, move into your mom's basement.

Live near an Indian reservation? Go there and buy your cigarettes tax free. Or online.

Try to get more hours at work (esp. overtime).

i am not old enough to buy cigs online

fuck overtime, i worked my ass off for a long time, all for nothing

and it's not worth it, having no peace of mind, no rest, no enjoyment in life, just to have money with no time to enjoy it

that aside, my doctor doesn't want me to work over 40 hours a week. it's detrimental to my health

i thought about getting a roommate, but i am scared to live with another person

no indian reservations near me, btw

but i am considering moving back in with my mom because it would save me a lot of money

and i'd get free cable and internet

we could share food

etc

i am just...avoiding it at all costs

You could try shopping at the dollar store. You can get quite a bit of the necessities from there.

I always stock up on pastas. 1 lb boxes at Wal-Mart (or dollar store) are only $1. You can get the big cans of pasta sauce for $.85.

Ramen or Chicken noodle soup is a good one too- you can add one or two poached eggs to the simmering broth for a more filling meal.

Or eat it with rice. It's very filling.

I struggle a lot financially too, so I feel your pain. I can't even afford health insurance. I'm sorry you are struggling and hope things

start looking up for you...

Roll your own cigarettes.  Saved me a ton of cash when I did that.  I really have to start doing it again, cause quitting right now just isn't happening.