CrazyBoards.org

best benzo for prn (as needed) usage?

I have been using Xanax prn for a while now for situations where I am afraid that my anticipatory anxiety prior to social events (I have social phobia) will cause me to avoid and/or otherwise fuck up something important (like an interview).  I don't have panic attacks, just an FYI.

I have been using it quite rarely lately.  I only used it twice in the past month.  I think my SSRI helps me lessen the usage.  Anyway, to the point--

Might there be a better benzo for the particular flavor of anxiety I am using them for?  Xanax is fine but it leaves me quite knackered when it wears off and I dunno, I was just curious.

Hollywood-

Xanax is good for quick relief (i.e. panic attacks). Ativan, Valium or Klonopin don't kick in quite as fast so you have to wait for the effect. No problem if you can plan ahead.

I think you are referring to the hangover effect? All of them are a little different for me. Personally I don't have to take benzos PRN anymore. They make me too depressed if I take them during the day. 0.5 mg. Klonopin at night and that's it.

Mood stabilizers working quite well.

for full-time relief i vastly prefer valium to xanax or klonopin. i find it provides much smoother coverage, doesn't wear off as quickly or as suddenly, has fewer side effects than klonopin, and is generally considered easiest to taper (i've been tapering from 30mg to 22.5 over the last month with ease.)

Archived