CrazyBoards.org

hey all-

I've been taking zyprexa for a couple weeks now, and I'm not seeing any change (except for eating more and feeling like I can't speak coherently). I'm curious as to what APs actually do for depression/anxiety. I know that zyprexa awesome for dealing with mania- but what should I be feeling if I don't have mania?

If I am just unreactive to zyprexa- is it worth trying another AP? Or should I try something else? benzos? where do you go next if ssris, non-ssris and ap's dont work?

edited b/c apparently I can't type coherently either

Are you trying the Zyprexa for anxiety or depression or both?

Zyprexa works pretty well for anxiety, although it may be more than you need. A benzo may do it.

It depends on what type of anxiety you are experiencing and what type of depression. Can you add a little more about your specific symptoms and Dx's?

Erika

Are you trying the Zyprexa for anxiety or depression or both?

Zyprexa works pretty well for anxiety, although it may be more than you need. A benzo may do it.

It depends on what type of anxiety you are experiencing and what type of depression. Can you add a little more about your specific symptoms and Dx's?

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi erika-

I'm on zyprexa for depression/anxiety that just wont go away (well specifically pdoc said for personality disorder- hoping that it will break down some of the stubborn thoughts and paranoid feelings). I would say that my largest problem right now is anxiety which I notice has gotten worse since I started remeron and zyprexa. I have noticed that I'm very shaky all of the time and have this elevated sense of freaked-out-ness, even when alone in my room. The depression comes and goes, but the anxiety (generalized, social) is always there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I've been taking zyprexa for a couple weeks now, and I'm not seeing any change (except for eating more and feeling like I can't speak coherently). I'm curious as to what APs actually do for depression/anxiety. I know that zyprexa awesome for dealing with mania- but what should I be feeling if I don't have mania?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take antipsychotics for the anxiety, obsessiveness, intrusive thoughts, and such. For me, controlling these things is an important part of resolving the depression; I can't be not-depressed if these other things, especially the intrusive thoughts and 'voices' are nattering on about what an awful person I am.

It sounds like it isn't working on your anxiety yet, I'm not sure how long it should take to help but it may well be time to discuss a new med with your pdoc. There are other APs and one of them might help you. For short term anxiety relief, benzos are very helpful but they're not necessarily a long-term solution.

Fiona

APs are really good for badass anxiety. They're like a super benzo but have worse side effects.

Benzos can cause depression if taken in large quantities (or small quantities for that matter). AP withdrawal is not as painful as the benzos.

The BOLDER study that came out a while back praised Seroquel for having anti-depressant effects at high doses. APs always made me depressed (until they became over-activating) because I felt like a slug. Akathisia gives me a lot of trouble.

hi-

APs really should help with anxiety?? Honestly I just felt my anxiety triple. Well pdoc put me on a benzo now, instead of the zyprexa, but I am worried since I know my anxiety is long term, and benzos should not be taken for long.

Also I am always prone to depression so if benzos can cause depression then I'm in trouble.  Is it possible (would pdoc think its possible) to take zyprexa or risperdal along with a benzo, and also along with remeron?

delicate,

Yes, APs can be effective against anxiety. Seroquel is being Rx'd more and more now for depression and is also said to be very good for depression + anxiety.

I have long term anxiety and I have taken benzos for years. Long term benzo use can be safe under the care of a good pdoc. Yes, benzo can also add to depression. So you always need to find the right and "delicate" balance.

As far as your suggested cocktail, that is a question you must discuss with your pdoc.

Erika

Archived