CrazyBoards.org

I've been debating stopping weed for years. I want to stop weed for the same reason I don't like taking my meds. I don't like knowing that I NEED something to HELP me live. It's like needing a cane to walk. I can't do it on my own. weed is part of my meds. My doc doesn't say she's for or against weed. I think she can see how it helps me so she's not telling me shes against it.

Weed helps my OCD because it's hard to focus enough to obsess when you're stoned. It's harder to worry when your mind is hazy. what if this what if that what if this what if that... there's less of that when I'm high.

Weed helps my depression because it's harder to cry when I'm high.. more detached. it helps me look at whats going on and actually see and think rather than being overcome with emotion or irrational worry.

What about you?

Edited by whatif

Weed helps me find things laughable and enjoyable when I'm depressed. It also brings out a social aspect of me that's difficult to tap into sometimes. I find myself able to laugh truly and heartily, whereas most of the time, my laughter is forced or aimed to simply please someone or entertain them, so to speak. I don't look at it like I "need weed", just that it is an all-natural aid that helps me recharge my social batteries from time to time. I don't smoke it often, and I don't feel dependent on it. I just simply enjoy it, like I enjoy a beer, or a steak. In fact, weed's better for me than the beer or the steak, lol. 

Warning you in advance that there are a surprising amount of anti-weed people here, so don't mind the heat. Welcome to the forums.

Weed makes me paranoid and reminds me that I really am better off on meds and that I shouldn't smoke weed.

I don't think its so much that there are a "surprising amount of anti-weed people here", Blake.

There are just a lot of compelling reasons that marijuana and being mentally interesting don't mix for some people.

For starters, its difficult, in the absence of serious regulation, to know what you are getting when you get a "dose" of pot.

Second, pot doesn't play well with a lot of mentally interesting conditions.

Third, there's a difference between recreational use, medicinal use, misuse, abuse, and addiction.

Fourth, its difficult to get good information on how pot interacts with other psych meds.

Finally, some people have realized that, in order to be stable, they have to stop putting other chemicals into the soup their brains sit in.

This is very different than being anti-weed.

I'm sorry if I've derailed your original post, whatif. 

I've personally found no particular benefit from pot, though I do have friends who use it regularly as it helps their particular brain chemistry quite effectively.

To each their own with weed.. some people, like my bf, weed is horrible.. but to others like me, it's the only way to be. to be stoned. I'm just not myself until I've had my first bonghit of the day. Sober, my anxiety and social anxiety are high, and my depression is low

Weed tends to make my (pure O) OCD worse.

Are you opposed to wearing glasses?  Everything you said about weed and meds is applicable to glasses as well.

I'm not saying you would or would not be better off if you quit smoking.

Yes, I'm anti-marijuana.  It's a stupid thing to waste time and money on.  It's really stupid to take street drugs when you already have a damaged brain.

I really would like to see this thread cut off if continues in a pro MJ way.

Yes, I'm anti-marijuana.  It's a stupid thing to waste time and money on.  It's really stupid to take street drugs when you already have a damaged brain.

It's safer than alcohol and is now legal for medicinal use in over ten states.   It is being prescribed for mental health indications too.  In states where MM is legal, there's no difference between it and any other med.  

Yes, you can say that there's not a ton of research supporting its use but considering how pharma companies rig studies to get favorable results, a lot of pharmaceuticals are suspect as well.  I'm not saying they don't work, just that the research supporting their use may not be as empirically sound as we'd like to think.

Street drugs, lol. It's an herb. From the earth. Peoples and cultures for thousands of years before us have employed entheogenic substances for everything from sacramental to recreational use. Just because there's a law against it doesn't mean shit to me. In West Virginia, it's legal to beat your wife on the steps of the courthouse on Sundays. The law doesn't always make sense.

Granted, marijuana may not be for everybody, but to patronize those who use it by calling their spending habits "stupid" is nonsense. Who are you to dictate how another spends their time or money? And it's further ridiculous to have a thread cut off because it doesn't resonate with you personally. Unsubscribe and let those in favor discuss freely.

Edited by Blake

Street drugs, lol. It's an herb. From the earth. Peoples and cultures for thousands of years before us have employed entheogenic substances for everything from sacramental to recreational use. Just because there's a law against it doesn't mean shit to me. In West Virginia, it's legal to beat your wife on the steps of the courthouse on Sundays. The law doesn't always make sense.

Says the man with a Terence McKenna quote in his sig.

Seriously, if weed helps with your MI symptoms, great.  The problem is that for a sizable number of people it can induce anxiety and sometimes even psychosis with people who are predisposed to such.  MI people need to be aware of the potential for adverse side effects.  I smoke every now and then but I can't really let people praise the glories of the herb without also mentioning the potential for harm.

The OP is interested in stopping smoking.  We should support her in that rather than derailing the thread by arguing over if weed is the devil or not.

What's my sig have to do with anything? Does a Terence McKenna quote somehow makes my arguments less viable? lol.

Besides, I'm not trying to tell the OP she should continue smoking or stop smoking. That's her personal choice. I am supportive either way.

I can't help but play advocate. Weed gets a bad wrap. I consider it to be, for the right people and under the right circumstances, a healing herb. I'm a card carrying NORML activist and Libertarian. It just comes with the territory.

But you are absolutely right, this is derailing, and I am a bit hypo and combative tonight. Bowing out. Carry on folks. OP, may you find clarity, and Marshall / Elvis, cheers and good evening.

Edited by Blake

What weed does for me, yes I could take a bunch MORE prescribed chemicals that are hard on my liver and/or kidneys with side effects instead. Instead of a natural PLANT. seems legit. I'd rather smoke 0.5 grams of a plant every day and NOT take another fist full of pills.

What weed does for me, yes I could take a bunch MORE prescribed chemicals that are hard on my liver and/or kidneys with side effects instead. Instead of a natural PLANT. seems legit. I'd rather smoke 0.5 grams of a plant every day and NOT take another fist full of pills.

Smoke a single leaf of atropa belladonna while you're at it, Its all natural! Natural stuff can't hurt you ... right?

That is the stupidest argument I have ever heard, and I hear it often.

Atropa belladonna has no medicinal value, of course. Weed has been proven to.

Actually extracts of belladonna have proven to be very valuable in different medical fields, Never heard of atropine? It can be life saving to some.

My arguement still stands, Just because something is natural does not mean it can't be harmful.

That's not the issue.  The issue is the argument over if something is safer just because it's natural.  Hemlock is natural. 

Pharmaceutical medications are chemically pure.  Anything natural is going to have impurities, as well as bird shit mixed in with it.

But I thought the issue was the OP quitting vs. not quitting?

Hey, I'm just responding in turn.

But I thought the issue was the OP quitting vs. not quitting?

Hey, I'm just responding in turn.

You also said you were walking away from this thread.

But people keep responding to me, and making arguments that I feel must be challenged. Even if it isn't accepted.

I want to know how, inherently, weed is harmful. Yes, it can have negative side effects if you're "neurochemically challenged", so to say, but just because it hurts one doesn't mean it hurts all. In fact, we all can reasonably agree that it has a lot of benefits.

Isn't that the classic case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

Edited by Blake

Smoke a single leaf of atropa belladonna while you're at it, Its all natural! Natural stuff can't hurt you ... right?

That is the stupidest argument I have ever heard, and I hear it often.

There are berries and mushrooms that can kill you and you still eat blueberries and portobellos I assume... smh