CrazyBoards.org

I was put on Trileptal and Gabatril shortly after I was taken off of Depakote and Zyprexa. Worked my way up to 1200 mg. Trileptal. Gabatril didn't do squat for me. Trileptal didn't stop rapid cycling.

Just me. Maybe it'll work for you, maybe not. Give it time to see how it works. I guess it all depends on the flavour of bipolar disorder you have.

Yeah, I'd say give it some more time to know for sure.  Pdocs tend to get a little prickly if you don't give each med a proper trial ;)

I worked my way up to 1500mg of Trileptal over the course of about six weeks, and 1200-1500mg has worked awesomely for me for a couple of years, except for some residual depression and anxiety (Lexapro and Ativan rounded out the cocktail).  I'm in the process of switching to Lamictal though because the low sodium got to be too much trouble for me.  Make sure you follow up with a blood test to check your electrolyte levels in a week or two.

A week, on the surface, does not seem to be a sufficient amount of time to judge if a medication will help stabilize your mood.

If I understand your situation correctly, Depakote worked well but you gained weight and wanted to switch to a new mood stabilizer. You and your pdoc agreed that gaining weight sucks, with which I agree, for what it is worth, and that the likely culprit was the Depakote and not the Risperdal. Y'all (or your pdoc unilaterally) decided that the next step should be stopping the Depakote and starting the Trileptal, which you have been on for about a week, and, as of today, are on what, more or less, is the minimum therapeutic dose. At this time, your pdoc is not willing to stop the Trileptal and start a new medication.

If, and that's a big if because I have no clue what your situation might actually be, then your doctor's actions appear to me to be very reasonable. That doesn't mean that he's not an asshole or that Trileptal is the best medication for you.

If you think that your pdoc is an incompetent (implied) asshole (stated), then perhaps you should look for a new one. If you give up a medication that works, then perhaps you should do what you can to be patient in trying to find a new one that works, hopefully, as well.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but these are not problems that are likely going to be solved overnight

Thank's for all the response. I know it will take more than a week ,Im not looking for a med change yet.

I have only switched meds once so it  was kinda of rude for my doc to say that.

I think, anyway doing better today thank's for the response.

Archived