CrazyBoards.org

does alcohol make you feel worse?

I was wondering how many of you tend to feel amazingly bad after drinking alcohol (even if it is only a small glass) and if so how long after you have consumed the evil beverage do you start to feel bad.

I have been experimenting with myself and am finding a strange result. I tend to feel bad about 2-3 days after drinking....is it me or is a delayed reaction common???

I had the same problem. Two days after a few and I was very agitated. The next day it was gone.

Alcoholism runs in my family. Maybe it's a predisposition that causes one to reach for another to 'smooth' things out? I dunno but it seems plausible.

I wonder if this happens to everyone and people just don't pay attention to it or does it happen to only a few? It would be a nice case study in the making.

Maybe a poll would work.

I very rarely drink anymore. I only have one or two a month.

Hi discovererant,

I thought I was just a weirdo, but alcohol affects me badly also...

Almost always I get sort of a hangover (headache, queasy feeling) after one or two drinks... I mean immediately , sometimes while I'm still drinking the second drink. 

Other times, I feel ok at first, but then later that night or the next day I feel all crappy and agitated. 

I also don't sleep well at all after having a drink, it gives me strange dreams and makes me toss and turn all night.

Needless to say, I've never been a huge fan of drinking and hardly touch the stuff anymore...

I have been experimenting with myself and am finding a strange result. I tend to feel bad about 2-3 days after drinking....is it me or is a delayed reaction common???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi!

I have no experience drinking after anxiety became a problem for me, but I remember in the "good old days" I would party and drink rather heavily Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sunday and Monday I would be fine, although a bit tired and maybe hung over. But Tuesdays were always the worst day of the week. Could hardly get any work done, and was a bit down on the "happy scale" as well. Remember being a bit puzled about it back then, but then it would be Thursday again and the party was back on...

Just my perhaps relevant input!

H.

I don't seem to have any pattern to how alcohol effects me afterwards.  Sometimes I feel like total crap.  Sometimes I don't.  I don't drink much since I started meds, maybe once a month, so it is hard identify any commonality between my reactions.  So, in summary, I have nothing helpful to add.

For me the hang over is much worse and much longer lasting on meds as opposed to off. I get all achy and irritated the next day, not at all like my college days when I could bounce back with just a good and greasy breakfast.

I wonder what the delayed reaction thing is?....hmm never had that.

For me the hang over is much worse and much longer lasting on meds as opposed to off. I get all achy and irritated the next day, not at all like my college days when I could bounce back with just a good and greasy breakfast.

I wonder what the delayed reaction thing is?....hmm never had that.

I have no issues with using alcohol regularly for enjoyment.  Thats just me though. It doesnt interact with my meds, and hangovers arent a big issue. 

Everyone is different though, and alcohol can cause some people major issues ranging from nausea, to anxiety (before, during or after) or of course alcoholism as a response.  Some people are alcoholics even if they only take 1 or 2 drinks, if their personality goes down the toilet and so on, whereas other people can be heavy drinkers and not be alcoholics - its a disease. 

But having said that, its always best to exercise moderation and try to have those 2 free days per week.  Dr's argue that moderation means 20 (24 tops) standard drinks per week for men and 12 for women.  Heavy drinking is considered to be double that and dangerous levels are at triple i think.

Alcohol can really affect me too, in fact I think I'm feeling it today.  I drank on friday night, during saturday, and also sunday.  That's actually quite rare for me to touch it 3 days in a row.  It wasn't really heavy drinking, but I still feel it.  Alchohol is probably my only "vice" left, if I could even call it that.  I gave up smoking... I also gave up all the drug taking years ago.  Will probably never touch pot, or any opiate, ever again... except if I'm in hospital, and maybe on my death bed maybe!  I'll have a fag then too.  Will probably give up alcohol altogether someday.  It has caused massive swings in mood for me before... and it's just not worth it.

Archived