CrazyBoards.org

Temazepam -- anti-anxiety or just a sleeping pill?

Initially I was prescribed temazepam (Restoril) for sleeping, however I have a tendency to get mild anxiety attacks sometimes. I noticed that they worsen when I take Risperdal, and sometimes the agitation can be really irritating. I'm just wondering if I can take temazepam during the day to soothe anxiety without it completely knocking me out. Does it work as an anti-anixety pill as well, or does it just knock you out?

Initially I was prescribed temazepam (Restoril) for sleeping, however I have a tendency to get mild anxiety attacks sometimes. I noticed that they worsen when I take Risperdal, and sometimes the agitation can be really irritating. I'm just wondering if I can take temazepam during the day to soothe anxiety without it completely knocking me out. Does it work as an anti-anixety pill as well, or does it just knock you out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did some research (granted, I didn't have time to do that much... sorry) and everything I have found that it is normally prescribed to people who have difficulty sleeping, or occasionally to reduce anxiety.  I did not find too many occurances where it was mentioned that temazepam was ideal for anxiety.

I'm just wondering if I can take temazepam during the day to soothe anxiety without it completely knocking me out. Does it work as an anti-anixety pill as well, or does it just knock you out?

whether or not it will just completely knock you out depends on your specific dosage.  I would not do anything against your perscription guidelines without consulting your doctor first. If your anxiety has become and issue, it is possible that your doc can give you a perscription for something else if he/she sees fit.  Again, it is not a good idea to start playing around with your meds youself without the consultation of a doctor...

good luck

~Ophelia 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, temazepam works against anxiety, but its not such a good idea to take it during the day because it has sedative properties. It'll make you feel stoned and groggy.  Temazepam is at best a temporary solution to insomnia.  I don't think its a great med.  If you wanna kill anxiety, xanax, ativan and klonopin are much, much better.  Like ophelia said, you should talk to your doc.

PBF

Archived