CrazyBoards.org

Guest Narcathex

I've been on it for years, and I've found it to be extremely helpful.  It's the only drug besides lithium that can stabilize me, and I was overjoyed to find it.  A great stabilizer, like I said, with some anti-depressant qualities thrown in to boot.  The pills taste awful if you leave them in your mouth too long though.

Seriously though, in my experience the side effects are surprisingly mild.  I've experienced small amounts of nausea when increasing doses, and I've found it to be mildly sedating.  It seems that by going up slowly you can avoid that first problem.  Overall, I'd give it a 9.  However, (what is it they say around here?) YMMV.

Just started Lamictal. Starting at 25 mg and ramping up to ????? 200 -400 mgs????

Anyone have any success stories, problems, etc.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds as though you and your pdoc are on the train headed towards Bipolar-Depression-Land, and signs everywhere point to Lamictal as being a most excellent first stop. You will find many, many success stories just by poking around the forums.

Lamictal has worked really well for me; I hope does for you, too.

The pills taste awful if you leave them in your mouth too long though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, they do. For me, the larger tablets go down quickly, but, the 25mg tablets kept getting "stuck." I switched to the chewables and no more bitterness, except for the higher co-pay.

Todd.

I have been taking Lamictal 400mg for almost two years now and it works pretty damned good for me. It i sonly part of my cocktail though.

For some people, and in the PI sheet, it says that there is no real difference in therapuetic effect between 200mg vs. 400mg, butr for me there is.

Erika

There is a LOT of info on Lamictal on these boards, but I'll tell you what I know:

The skin rash thing is overdramatized and overrated. It is rare and if you go to the doctor when you notice it, it is not a big deal. I've taken 350mg for 10 months and have not ever gotten any rashes.

It does not matter when you take it, but you should pick a time and stick to it. Food/empty stomach doesn't matter, unless you're sensitive to it one way or the other.

Some people benefit from lower doses, like 100mg, and some up to 400mg, and I've heard even higher. Just go with how you feel.

It treats bipolar depression a lot better than the mania side. If you are at all prone to the manic side, discuss that wtih your pdoc and consider options like Lithium and Atypicals. Right now my pdoc and I are taking our chances with the mania and I'm not on any antimanic agent (except Lamictal) ;)

SEROQUEL has also been shown in studies to be very good against BP Depression.

Heya captduffy,

I have been depressed for 20+ years.

I and my FP figured out, from the Canadian guidelines, that Lamictal was a good choice for the depressive phase of BPII.

Lamictal got rid of my nightmares and started me sleeping through the night from the first time since I was too small to remember.

Good luck to you!!

--ncc--

I have found it to be a great med with very few side effects.  I do have mania, so I need an extra drug (or 2) to control that, but it's great for depression/stabilization.  My doctor shoots for 150 mg with about a 2 month titration to there and titrates up from 150 as needed.  But he's conservative.  I like having someplace to go if I need it.

Iam a new baby at this and please be kind to me.

I have been taking Cymbalta, lorazapam and now was put on Lamictal

I worry about all the meds at once..I have suffered from Depression,

anxiety and mood swings for a long time..Have been on 10 different meds.

Never been on Lamictal..Says it good for Mood disorders..Could someone

help me out and tell me what to expect.... 

Hi. I just posted a lengthy message of my own ("Lamictal, Refractory Depression/BPII, & Hair Loss: Couple of Qs from a Newbie"), so I won't repeat my story here. The only thing I would add, in case you haven't read through the messages at this site, is that it can cause some people to have pretty intense side effects (headache, muscle aches), which from what I've read and experienced do tend to eventually go away.

I'm still titrating up myself, am at 100 mg. Haven't yet hit the therapeutic level. But, just in case you do get severe headaches and/or muscle aches, I can add that I, too, have gotten past this stage. There's much more info on this under the topic: "Lamictal and my aching back, chest, BODY! Lamictal and muscle pain" as well as throughout this site. (If you haven't yet, do read http://www.crazymeds.us/lamictal.html )

Hopefully, you won't get this. I think I got it maybe the 3rd week in (my doc has been titrating me at a much slower than usual rate, and of course there's no telling if or when these would occur for any individual). If you do get this, you're not alone...and hang in there! From what I hear, it's worth it. I sure hope so  ;)    

Best,

Susan

If you are generally sensitive to side effects I guess the best advice I can give is titrate veeeeeeeeeery slowly.  I think it took me 8 weeks to reach a therapeutic dose of 150-200mg (sorry, meds have fried my brain, so I can't remember exactly).  I had a freak occurence of the rash (which is extremely rare, so don't panic about this!) when I hit around 250mg, and they had to drop me right down again.  Then the pdoc decided to try again, and I've just (as of yesterday) ramped up to 400mg, with no ghastly side effects other than a crashing headache.  It was a risk to titrate up again, but the pdoc was convinced that it was the right drug for me, and for some bizarre reason this has worked, with no recurrence of the blisters/itchies.

Never had any side effects at all with Lamictal, and it's done a good job on my depression, although it's taken a couple of upward titrations to get there.  I'm at 400mg now, and with my current cocktail, feel pretty stable.  My main issue is depression, with some mixed state stuff on rare occasions.  Lamictal has worked really well for me.

Archived