CrazyBoards.org

Guest Vapourware

A few months ago I was given some Panadeine Forte - 500mg paracetamol with 30mg of codeine - for pain relief. The pain is no longer with me, thankfully, but I've kept the tablets.

Recently I've discovered that taking two tablets relieves my depression [works better than the ADs I have tried] and is a good relaxant.

A few questions: how addictive exactly is codeine? Also, would taking 1000mg of paracetamol on a regular basis be unhealthy?

ETA: I meant milligrams, not grams.

Hi!

I know nothing about paracetamol.

But (no) thanks to my husband I do know that codeine if taken long term is horribly addictive. He was taking Tylenol with codeine and just kept on taking it and over time it kept escalating until he was chewing the tablets by the handful to the tune of 20-30 a day. And of course this meant a lot of acetaminophen as well...and, he was angry, irritable and paranoid.

After a few months of that he had a very hard time to stop, he had to do it gradually and it caused body aches, nausea and sweats and other generally unpleasant symptoms.

He went back to the same pattern a few times, until today he will not take even normal Tylenol, says he is kinda scared of it.

He does have what is termed an addictive personality, but I suspect the physical addiction potential exists for anyone.

In addition, although these substances numb your feelings so as to take the edge off the pain of deppresion, I doubt that they really help. Also, I wonder if you would be able to keep obtaining these pills, as most things containing opiates are controled substances.

I hope that you can find alternative ways of dealing with your depression.

A few months ago I was given some Panadeine Forte - 500g paracetamol with 30g of codeine - for pain relief. The pain is no longer with me, thankfully, but I've kept the tablets.

Recently I've discovered that taking two tablets relieves my depression [works better than the ADs I have tried] and is a good relaxant.

A few questions: how addictive exactly is codeine? Also, would taking 1000g of paracetamol on a regular basis be unhealthy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I can't wait for Velvet Elvis or one of the other pharm geeks to ring in, but I know from personal experience that opiates work to relieve psychic pain in the SHORT term, but in the long-term you are much worse for wear because they are a natural depressant. Kind of like alcohol makes you feel better for a little while, but keep it up and you'll be a depressed alky.

It is effortless to get addicted to opiates--especially if/when they give you a feeling of mental well being. It's not real. It's drug induced, but not at all like what true ADs do for your brain. My advice is flush them. Now. Before you have a fancy for opiate AND a mental depression.

HB

Info on codeine: http://www.drugs.com/codeine.html

Highlights:

Do not stop taking codeine suddenly if you have been taking it continuously for more than 5 to 7 days. Stopping suddenly could cause withdrawal symptoms and make you very uncomfortable
The most serious interactions affecting codeine are with those drugs that also cause sedation. The following drugs may lead to dangerous sedation if taken with codeine:

A few months ago I was given some Panadeine Forte - 500g paracetamol with 30g of codeine - for pain relief. The pain is no longer with me, thankfully, but I've kept the tablets.

A few questions: how addictive exactly is codeine? Also, would taking 1000g of paracetamol on a regular basis be unhealthy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, I think u have a typo, it should read mg not g (milligrams not grams) on the doses.  but this is not a good long term plan for depression.

i think taking this medication for longer than 1-2 weeks on a daily basis will have addiction issues.  on a prn basis (every few days as needed) probably wouldnt mess you up too much, if at all.  but still, its not really correcting any chemical imbalance, just making you feel a little toasty ;)   its immediate relief, yes, but its actually making your brain worse in the long-term, instead of better, if you take it every day.

Guest Vapourware

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information and replies. Also, yes zsandoz...d'oh! I did mean milligrams, not grams. I think 30grams of codeine would be enough to kill me. I ought to not post late at night.

Codeine has a rather subtle effect on me. While I don't feel euphoric, I do feel my mood lifting.

However, you're all correct on one thing: codeine isn't a good long-term management plan. I think I'm well on my way to codeine addiction already...it seems psychological dependence has already set in. I'm starting to count down the hours ;)

A few questions: how addictive exactly is codeine? Also, would taking 1000mg of paracetamol on a regular basis be unhealthy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm definitely a codeine addict.  It is a great way to relax, and in the short term relieve depression and anxiety.  But for quite a long time it ruined my life.

In 2002 I overdosed on panadeine forte, nurofen plus, and other pain meds for about a month, along with a whole array of other drugs.  It escalated into me taking over 10 grams of paracetomol and ending up in hospital so they could clean my blood, and hopefully save my liver.  Went back home and did it all over again.  Pdoc decided hospital would be a better option... was there for six weeks with ECT...  Even after I left the hospital I would periodically abuse pain meds, right up until this year.

Last year my addiction got so bad that I was extracting codeine from mass quantities of panadeine in order to get my fix.  Very glad I didn't shoot it up as I would probably be dead.

I went cold turkey earlier this year, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever been through.  The most scariest thing was the hallucinations.

I definitely don't recommend self-medicating with codeine.  In fact I would only recommend anyone use it only if they really really need it as more people are addicted to it than you might think.  I am actually a member of a "codeine addict" forum, and it is a huge struggle for everyone.

Good luck,

Tim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm definitely a codeine addict.  It is a great way to relax, and in the short term relieve depression and anxiety.  But for quite a long time it ruined my life.

In 2002 I overdosed on panadeine forte, nurofen plus, and other pain meds for about a month, along with a whole array of other drugs.  It escalated into me taking over 10 grams of paracetomol and ending up in hospital so they could clean my blood, and hopefully save my liver.  Went back home and did it all over again.  Pdoc decided hospital would be a better option... was there for six weeks with ECT...  Even after I left the hospital I would periodically abuse pain meds, right up until this year.

Last year my addiction got so bad that I was extracting codeine from mass quantities of panadeine in order to get my fix.  Very glad I didn't shoot it up as I would probably be dead.

I went cold turkey earlier this year, and it was one of the most painful things I've ever been through.  The most scariest thing was the hallucinations.

I definitely don't recommend self-medicating with codeine.  In fact I would only recommend anyone use it only if they really really need it as more people are addicted to it than you might think.  I am actually a member of a "codeine addict" forum, and it is a huge struggle for everyone.

Good luck,

Tim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey man hang in there =)  i have had a really bad problem self-medicating with opiates and havent been using them at all for years.. glad you're ok from the paracetamol- some of those ingredients in the codeine mixtures can really hurt your liver! 

i never got the hallucinations when i stopped but it sucked really bad and i started with codeine (oxycontin in particular here in the US) and got heroin powder off the street and got real bad b/c its almost the same thing except stronger!!..  all these opiates are affecting the same parts of your brain and stuff

you're totally right, nobody (especially MI) wants to have to struggle with this!  it sucks really hard when u need the stuff to feel just not sick. ;)

EEEEKKKKKK im freaking out like usual..... but for good reason i think...

This thread has made me think about something i always just assumed was not a problem (like a typical addict)

I had a car crash in DEC 99 nearly killed myself, but not on bloody purpose! Anywasys i had a nice case of whiplash, a broken breast bone (ouch) and did both my knees in. so after i got out from my short hospital stay i was given some panadiene forte, and then when the script for that ran out i started taking straight panadiene or nurofen plus and i basically have never stopped.

i was told by my psyhio therapist less then 6months later and thought what a load of bullsh*t. but hey its not, i still take them every single time i get a head ache, if i dont it quickly becomes a migraine. paracetmol does nothing for me and i cant have asprin as it things my blood and messes with my meds.

So it is true u can become addicted to codiene quite quickly and although some would see it as not as part a drug to be addicted too, in my opinion all drugs are dangerous to be addicted!!!!

Good luck fellow MIs

wow, lots of real life experiences here.

I've had to take codiene + tylenol (acetomenophin) twice for pain.  A week was the most my body could stand before all the side effects became horrible.  And it was losing its effectiveness so I quit.  fortunately I don't seem to have attraction to addictive substances.

From the chemical side, remember opiodes are naturally found in the brain.  Heroin, morphine, codiene (all from the poppy flower) essentially go straight to the brain and plug in.  Some of the most direct acting drugs there are.  And while there are opiate receptors a number of places, they are also in the pleasure centers.

So, does codiene make you feel better for a while?  Absolutely, its lighting up the pleasure center. Is it releaving the depression?  No, and in fact will tend to increase it.

Not to exagerate, but studies have shown that rats will choose opiates over food, till they die, given the chance.

BTW, acetomenophin (tylenol) while a good drug can be extremelly hard on the liver.  Avoid large doses and minimize regular use.

Good luck.  a.m.

BTW, acetomenophin (tylenol) while a good drug can be extremelly hard on the liver.  Avoid large doses and minimize regular use.

Good luck.  a.m.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what he said. parecetminol/acteominiphin is reallt hard on the liver if used too often. I know couple of my fellow insomniacs learned this the hard way after getting liver damage from using a otc nighttime pain med for years. which is good to treat occasional nighttime pain but bad to treat nightly insomnia.

Jakers! I better watch myself! I regularly take 2 syndol at night to help me go to sleep - it has codeine, paracetemol and a lovely little substance called doxylamine succhinate. It is excellent when it comes to relaxing you and putting you to sleep but death from paracetemol poisoning and liver failure is a very agonising way to die and probably one of the worst deaths you could suffer. I think that the guidelines recommend no more than 8 tablets containing paracetemol within a 24 hour period.

blackbird - be very careful.  Syndol is what got me on the slippery slope to fullblown codeine addiction (as in buying it off the street).  It's a lovely drug (unfortunately) and it's very easy to need more and more and more... you get the picture.

• 1 month later...

These are kind of old posts I am just now reading. I say thank you to all who posted. I have a narcotic addiction ( hydrocodone) and thanks to these posts I am not going to get any more. I realize any of the opiates are extremely addicting and just a quick fix for any psyc problems. Believe me, I've had some TERRIBLE withdrawl but keep on getting these meds. This time I have 2 years being clean. Thanks again.

fc

• 4 years later...

I am essentially addicted to codeine's analogue, Tramadol. It requires me to take at least a small dose every day to ward off withdrawal. Psychologically, it isn't too addictive, but I certainly crave it at times.

Archived