CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Energizerhoney

What prn helps with hypo anger?

My hypomania is anger and irritability. Stress causes my hypo and it usually lasts 4-5 days now that I'm on the right meds. Is there a prn med that helps you with this type of thing? Not looking for medial advice, just what helps you that I could bring up to my dr?

The only AAP that tackled my anger and irritability was Risperdal. My dosage was 1mg. 

Ativan sublingual also helps, I either take 1-2mgs, depending on how I'm feeling.

Thats about it. Hope this helps!

100-200 mg of Seroquel takes the edge off of hypomania for me.  Once I'm worked up, klonopin doesn't do much good for me.

Klonopin works for me, but once it wears off in four hours or so, I will have to take more.

Abilify helps me.  I'm allowed 15 mg extra if needed (not every day though) and it works great for me.

Low-dose lithium, but as a constant thing, not for 4-5 days.  It's probably easier and faster to take a little more Seroquel (for me, it would be Depakote).  I personally don't like Klonopin.

Not a PRN, but adding Topamax really chilled out the irritability for me.

Have you explored any non-med options?  Meds are only 1/2 the equation.  The rest is all on you.  Maybe you should go see a tdoc and learn some coping skills.

If it's really bad, I go for Zyprexa.

If its not so bad, I'll sublingual a Xanax.

10mg Zyprexa is my go-to.

Same here. I have a bottle saved for really bad days.

I ended up taking 2mg Klonopin and that actually helped :) I felt kinda dopy, cause I usually just take 1mg, but it definitely helped thank god lol. And yeah, me and coping skills have a hard time :(

breathing exercises and the sublingual saphris helps me. I second what someone else said about coping skills though, because even after taking a pill it can only take so much of an edge off. 

I never had the irritability thing when I was on over 10mg of Abilify consistently. After I went off it, I started to get the whole irritable, wanting to scream at everyone thing and throwing shit thing. This is not typical at my baseline AT ALL. If something irritates me when I'm stable, I get over it in two seconds. No big deal. If I'm hypo, I get fucking MEAN and act like someone else entirely. Very strange. 

So without the Abilify, all I could do was pop more Valium (not exceeding the amount I have to take in one day) and I don't really know that this helped. Maybe a little, but I take that shit for anxiety and have been for like, about four years so tolerance and all that crap.

I don't get the coping skills thing either. I CAN use them when I'm feeling stable. And I certainly do. It is NOT easy to do if I'm not. I try being rational, I go and hide, I do whatever it takes, but nothing helps. I mean, at that point IRRITABLE is just my mood. If something flips me out while I'm already irritable, well fucking watch out. Right, but if I'm hypo, it's seriously as though I probably couldn't muster up coping skills if I tried.

Yeah, they help me for other things, certainly. This one is a freaking bitch to tackle. Good luck. I hate that shit.

10mg Zyprexa is my go-to.

Same here. I have a bottle saved for really bad days.

Me too.  I have an "emergency" stash in my purse at all times.  

It isn't pretty and it isn't graceful.  It is effective.    

Maybe I'll ask about prn zyprexa low dose like 5mg. It's not often I have it so I don't want anything daily to take.

As far as coping skills, once I'm in that anger/irritability place I just try to stay home and out of the way.

Does a small dose of Seroquel help any?