CrazyBoards.org

Cant seem to stop checking the boards...

Please don't laugh me out of the forum but...

I'm not sure if this is the rigth place to post actually. Maybe the obsession/compulsions board would have been more appropiate.

Anyways the issue is this: I just love CrazyBoards, and since I'm nearly always at my laptop (being a student) I am always checking the new posts. Over and over again, several times an hour. I probably spend more time here than doing anything else on any given day, except when I sleep more than 10 hrs a day cause Im so depressed.

I have essays that are not getting done, I never exercise even if my doctor tells me to, I have stopped seeing or talking to the one or two friends I have. I don't go to my support group cause you guys are so much better and my social worker does not like that.

I have tried to, er, cut down on this, I removed the link from my shorcuts...to no avail. Anybody had this problem and if you did, how did you deal with it?

I will be checking the board every five minutes for any answers...yey. Enough said

Baw haw haw!

Yeah, I'm laughing at you and your silly compulsion. It's 7:43am here in Tokyo, and I HAVE to be at work early today, and just checked the boards last at 4:30am, and look where I am now?!

I'm ADD, but my therapist very kindly, gently handed me a book on how to deal with obsessive-compulsive behaviors after I confessed to my Solitaire/FreeCell/Crazyboards addiction.

I'm no expert (obviously...) but I think it's about realizing what you're doing is a waste of time, and takes you away from other, more productive things. And giving in to the obsession (if you will) only makes it stronger. Something about how doing the same activity strengthens the synapses in the brain that regulate that activity, making you more and more likely to continue.

ahem. So I shut my computer off. If you can't do that, then maybe remove the link and the cookie, and make-make-make yourself do something else fun when you try to come back here yet again. (might I suggest a nice game of Solitaire?)

Also, I dunno about the old reward thing--you know, if you write say, one essay then you can come back? For me, if I let myself come back, I'm pretty much here to stay, reading threads I'm not even familiar with, constantly re-clicking that 'show new messages' icon...

What works better for me is to just stop altogether for awhile--like 3 days. The urge to come and hang here subsides, and when I do finally come back there are like 8 pages of juicy new posts! But because I haven't been here in awhile, I tend to read a few then get antsy. This works well for me until I fall back into my old patterns...

Seriously, tho, I'm in the same boat, and eagerly look forward to see what others have to say.

lily

I'm giving you another reply!

Re-reading your post, I kinda thought that maybe the issue is bigger than the overwhelming appeal of the boards. So I have another suggestion for you.

Make appointments. Get someone in your support group to call you and make you come. Freesoul, you have to get out of the house, and probably don't have the strength to do so right now, so get folks to come after you. Doctor appointments? Meds? Everything ok there?

When I fall into the abyss I hang out more on here because I do nothing else--no eat, no sleep, no work.

So cutting down here is good, but getting rid of the crazyboards obsession will probably only force you to find a new obsession.

lily

Try designating a certain time during the day (like 8 p.m.) and sticking to that.  Best also if you limit your time here during "CrazyBoards time".  ONLY log on at that time.  This way, it gives you something to look forward to all day, while not sucking your day away. Avast ye time-sucking vampire!

Good helpful hints.  I will have to try some one day.  Problem is, right now, I have no other life.  How pathetic.  Even worse, I can't muster up the energy to even look for one.  Here's hoping the new pdoc can help although I think my patterns have become so ingrained that I feel pretty much the same way whether I am depressed or not. ;)

I gave up ciagarettes and I gave up dope and now I have to give up Crazyboards???? ARRGGHHH....

Seriously, I'm dealing with this, too.  I do the reward thing.  If I do my chores and make my phone calls or whatever is going on, then I can have an hour.  I use my kitchen timer to beep when the hour is up.

Other days when I have activities out of the house, it's no problem and I don't miss it.

Getting a life is the answer I'm looking forward to.  That, and getting a job. 

olga

Hehehe...

I'm a student too- and the thing is everyone is ALWAYS on their laptops- instant messaging each other or on some interenet site- don't worry about it, although I just joined this site I am sure I will become just like you- ha.

I would say..try to schedule out your time to do studying and exercising or whatever- and then only after you finish something can you come on here and check things.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have tried a few of them...I just like this place too much, and they didn't work. If I could a prescription for willpower...hehehe.

So, in ligth of reality, I have decided to stop worrying about it. Yure rigth, crazychic, everyone wastes time in different ways but they all do. This is actually a very constructive form of procrastinating, as I alwayas laugh or learn or cry or shake my head in disbelief, whatever.

so now, it's : write a few phrases (or reaad a few pages) , check CB, write or read a few more minutes, CB, etc etc.

I only have one essay left this semester, so it looks like I'll make it.

I've decided not to worry about it.

My frequency goes up when I'm in stressful transitions (e.g., new evals/dx, new meds - or just plain sucky stuff going down, even if I don't talk about said sucky thing sometimes). I find it grounding and less lonely.

In other time of stasis, good/bad/neutral, not so much. Even withdraw for a time. In stasis, got nuttin' ta say anyhow. Not helpful to others, not witty for my own sake, not questioning...nuttin'. So I stay quiet, maybe lurking once in a while.

If there is an identifiable void that the board fills for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that too often, those of us who have problems to begin with are maybe anxious to stack another one on top - just in case the first "problem" doesn't cover all the bases. Crazy folk seem to forget that SOME behavior is just human - and that if you try hard enough, you can pathologize anything.

I say don't get freaked, go with it until it's purpose (companionship, validation, boredom alleviation - whatever) is fulfilled.

pigs

I'm on SSD, therefore I have no job and so, I check the forums all the time.  Don't beat yourself up for checking them frequently.  I actually get mad sometimes when people don't respond to my posts.  *laughs*

But...and this is a big but *butt???* Do try to get out of the house at least once a day.  I do.  But of course, now that it's cold outside, I've got to practice what I preach.

Elizabeth

Well I finally found it! I'd been wondering where to post this myself. I'd sort of touch on it in a topic I started Lamictal - Therapeutic Level: How will I know when I hit it? when I said: ...I think I'm pretty well past the mind-numbing, soul-robbing depression. I also think I might be getting a bit hypomanic, sort of too obsessive/compulsive about these boards! (Can CB become addictive?! Yeah, I already know the answer to that...anything can become addictive!)

I'm spending way too much time here. I keep wondering how much of this is just old addictive/distractive behavior popping up, or how much of it is due to the level of Lamictal I'm on. Probably no way of knowing at this point, never been on an AC before. First real attempt at treating this as BPII rather than just "refractory depression" -- so I don't even know at this point how much of what I saw as addictive behavior (never substances, just more this kind of overly focused activity) is part of my previously untreated BPII.

Or on the other hand, how much of this is just feeling pretty good about being able to get out of bed, and it's nice to have something on which to focus -- plus I'm getting a lot out of it -- though not feeling "well" enough yet to get a life? But I am spending too much time here, to the detriment of even the simplest things I need to do.

Dixie_Amazon: Thanks for the Tea Timer. It's funny you should post this. I used to be a complete freeware junkie, especially for little utilities like this. I mean BIG time. I would spend hours everyday finding and researching freeware, combing through NoNags, Slaughterhouse, et al. Finally shook it a few years ago. On the rare occasion I need to find something, I now can find it, download it, and get out. (BTW, Slaughterhouse no longer exists.)

Well, at least we have a place we can vent about this problem. Although...that just may not help in this case ;)

I've decided not to worry about it.

My frequency goes up when I'm in stressful transitions (e.g., new evals/dx, new meds - or just plain sucky stuff going down, even if I don't talk about said sucky thing sometimes). I find it grounding and less lonely.

In other time of stasis, good/bad/neutral, not so much. Even withdraw for a time. In stasis, got nuttin' ta say anyhow. Not helpful to others, not witty for my own sake, not questioning...nuttin'. So I stay quiet, maybe lurking once in a while.

If there is an identifiable void that the board fills for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I think that too often, those of us who have problems to begin with are maybe anxious to stack another one on top - just in case the first "problem" doesn't cover all the bases. Crazy folk seem to forget that SOME behavior is just human - and that if you try hard enough, you can pathologize anything.

I say don't get freaked, go with it until it's purpose (companionship, validation, boredom alleviation - whatever) is fulfilled.

pigs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank You,Pigs,

You got it.

Love it.

Stasis

Archived