CrazyBoards.org

It is a weird feeling...you're not in a lot of emotional pain, and you aren't thinking bad thoughts about yourself, but you know you are depressed and all you want to do is lie down...it takes everything you have to get yourself to do anything besides lay in bed. 

It doesn't make any sense to me.  How can I be paralzyed with inaction when I don't even *feel* that depressed?

Hollywood~

Yeah, I feel like that too sometimes.  Like right now, for example.  It sucks.  If you figure it out, let me know.

I didn't take a shower today.  I didn't go grocery shopping.  I didn't do my laundry.  I just sat around, basically.  I feel like a useless blob.

And my bedroom is really cold, so I can't even climb into a warm, comfy bed.

Hope you feel better!

~CS

It is a weird feeling...you're not in a lot of emotional pain, and you aren't thinking bad thoughts about yourself, but you know you are depressed and all you want to do is lie down...it takes everything you have to get yourself to do anything besides lay in bed.

I know what you mean, Donna.  It helps *so much* to have somewhere I have to be.  My days seem to go well then.  But if I don't have somewhere to and wake up with "that feeling", I just feel powerless over it.  I really don't think I try hard enough to not let that ruin my day sometimes.  I feel like if I'm not in a lot of pain and beating myself up then I should be able to fight it.

HF -

Sometimes when I have to work or go out even though I'm crushingly depressed, I sometimes will be walking and then just... stop.  It feels as though I can no longer think of any good rationale for taking even one more step.  And last Saturday I was collapsed in the reliner staring at the ceiling and realized it was time for my meds.  But even though I knew that the meds would help me veel better, my body wouldn't get up so that I could go take them.  It finally took an effort of sheer will, one forced step at a time - literally - to go get them.

Cerberus

I think what you are talking about is an official symptom of depression called 'leaden paralysis.'  I learned all about it from my pdoc this summer when I was at rock bottom.  IMHO, if you can somehow combat it when you're not feeling too badly about yourself, you can prevent a more major depression from coming on.

I am currently feeling pretty well, but my husband just left town on business and I won't see him for two weeks, which is depressing for me.  Today I woke up and just can't seem to do anything.  I think that if I can get moving, though, I'll be okay.

All I know is that when I got really down, it was very much like a paralysis;  my limbs actuallly felt heavy, like they were made of stone.  It was the icing on the cake of hopelessness, and man, I DO NOT want to go back there! ;)

-- Abby

Archived