CrazyBoards.org

So I'll be going into an adolescent ward (in the UK) sometime soon for depression, anxiety, self harm and suicidal thoughts and I was just wondering if anyone had been there and they could tell me about their experiences and what it was like there as I'm a little worried about it.

Thanks ~

i went to an adolescent ward this year albeit in the us. It wasnt that bad, it seemed daunting before i went in. But i was actually quite comfortable as its mostly a stress free enviroment although the therepy sessions can be a bit intense , but they didnt have a problem letting me calm down for an hour or so in my room

the duration of stay for me was about a week and a half, and that seemed to be average if you where compliant.

there are alot of groups and there centered around typical teen stuff. handling school, peer pressure, coperating with parents etc.  Groups where not mandatory for me but there not afraid to heavily encourage it.

the main advantage of a adolecent ward in my opinion. Was that everyones the around the same age and has some of the same problems. so theres some level of familarity and acceptance  just like here on crazy boards

you dont really need to worry about anything as the main focus is to keep you safe and help you cope with whats troubling you

The nice thing about hospital is the relief that people can help keep you safe for a bit.  It's nice to be around people who can relate. I find the time goes much quicker if you go to groups.

I went to an adolescant psych ward when I was 16, here in Australia. It was actually pretty good. The Doctors and nurses were all really, really nice and so were the other patients. Everyone was very empathetic and understanding. I didn't want to leave.

Yeah I think it would be really nice to actually meet someone else around the same age as me to talk to about this stuff and from what you guys are saying it sounds pretty helpful and good :}

i went to a behavioral hospital (like a whole hospital that has all different units..one for vets with ptsd, one for adolescents etc..) and was in the adolescent ward. honestly it was really similar to whats depicted in the movie/book Girl, Interrupted. i was thought of as the "hot girl" in the ward and a lot of the girls would touch my thigh when i first got there but i told them i wasn't into that and they understood. they were all cool girls and it was kind of fun. i was there because my therapist thought i was endangering myself too much and behaving too reckless. we really sat around all day watching tv (americas next top model  marathons mostly) and went to a cafeteria two times a day for meals. we had a group therapy session once a day, gym class and met with a doctor once a day..but it was really only for a couple minutes tops. there was alcohol and substance abuse classes once a day and if you didnt have a problem with that you stayed in your room and could read or work on homework. we  got snacks and girls and boys werent allowed to talk to eachother. there were little kids (ten and under) who the older girls wold normally look after. the nurses are mean and will try to sedate you for every little thing! everytime you got into a fight or were crying not during therapy they would add an extra day to your stay!one day they brought in puppies for us to play with. the first day there i was so uncomfortable and cried all the time. after that you kind of bond with the girls and get into trouble and have fun. i  never did this personally but a lot of them would get into fights and stuff for fun!alot of the girls have been there before and will tell you what you need to do and say in order to get out. you haveone phone call a day and visitation once. family can join you for a meal on holidays! really it wasn't that bad but it didn't help me at all and was a huge waste of money because we spent most ofthe day watching tv and i probably talked to a psychiatrist for 10 minutes total.

Edited by candy