CrazyBoards.org

unipolar rapid mood cycling induced by SSRIs

Oh Hollywood Im so sorry!

Give us a run down again of your dx, symptoms, and how long you have been on the meds.

If you don't feel well or stable or much improved you really need to go back to the Doc and discuss it.  I don't know how bad  your up (normal) and downs are. I can only say that it really did take a good 3 months before I felt mostly up instead of up and down. (on paxil) But all in all it was a steady improvement.

If you feel you are just stuck and not getting steadily better then you need to report that.

Hang in there. How can we help, talk to us.

CC~

My dx is MDD and social phobia.  My symptoms are typical depression symptoms.  I know I am depressed when I become lazy and unwilling to carry out my usual daily activities.  However, I no longer become severely depressed (yes!) I would consider myself much improved overall since starting meds.  But I want full remission.

So if I understand right, you are fluctuating between your good up regular ol self (your normal) and your depressed down self, yes?  But you agree your down is not the down it used to be since starting the lex.

Full remission? I think that is what we ALL dream about.  I don't know if there is such a thing. There is "pretty damn good" comparative to being at the pits of despair but that is all very subjective.

I still have off days where I wish I could go back to bed and hide from the world.

I have a 3 year old running around so I have no choice but to face the day. That is probably good and helped in my recovery.

I know it can be hard to discern what is the depression and what is the "I don't give a crap" feeling that can come from the meds.  Remember you are a work in progress and  it should continually improve (over months) which is in no way fast enough when we have already been depressed for like forever and day! 

How long have you been at the 15 mgs now?

CC~

You should talk to your pdoc about this, there may be something to be done about it.

It would probably be helpful to graph out your moods. There are several places online where you can get a mood chart to rate how you're feeling on several different criteria so you can really see what the pattern is (or is not).

Also, remember that even "normal" people have fluctuations in moods -- some days are better than other days, some moments are better than other moments.

Fiona

You should talk to your pdoc about this, there may be something to be done about it.

It would probably be helpful to graph out your moods. There are several places online where you can get a mood chart to rate how you're feeling on several different criteria so you can really see what the pattern is (or is not).

Also, remember that even "normal" people have fluctuations in moods -- some days are better than other days, some moments are better than other moments.

Fiona

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm one step ahead of you!  I already do the mood chart thing and I'm well aware of what my pattern looks like.  Picture a sine curve where the crest is at 0 on the y axis.  Up and down, up and down, just like I said.

P.S.  I can't get in to see a new pdoc until Dec 28 so this post is more for my own curiousity.

Full remission? I think that is what we ALL dream about.  I don't know if there is such a thing. There is "pretty damn good" comparative to being at the pits of despair but that is all very subjective.

CC~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, but I find that too pessimistic of a viewpoint.  That I should just accept that I will never feel normal for more than 3 days at a time.  I just commenced psychiatric treatment six months ago so I think it's a bit early to be making those kind of pronouncements.  People don't seem to understand that I am not talking about permanent remission, I am just talking about putting the nail in the coffin of THIS episode.

Well. From what I gather, if there is a cycle you're some form of bipolar disorder, though maybe not one of the officially recognized ones.  Check out the sticky posts in the bp forum for more info.

A mood stabilizer of some kind might help even out the peaks and vallys a bit.

Full remission is possible and normal for a lot of people.  They just get better before getting frustrated enough to start seeking out boards like this one.

Since it's not in my sig right now, I'm a college dropout who reads too much and not an MD, blah blah blah.

Im sorry Hollywood I did not mean in any way that you should just except where you are now.

I was only wondering if a FULL REMISSION was a true possibility.  I feel pretty damn good and at times better than I have in my life but I still get a few down days occasionally. I would not want to have a cycle of up and down every few days either and did not mean for it to sound like that was ok.

I will be much more careful in my wording next time. I am far from pessimistic.

My lean to be realistic may not come across well.

In trying to share that the first few months of meds are frought with ups and downs and side effects and a feeling of uncertainty, I may have given the impression that everyone should accept that as ok. Nope, I try to reiterate ONLY if you feel steady improvement from where you were. Only you can know and share if that is true or not.

CC~

Archived