CrazyBoards.org

Phobia of immunizations

I have a soon to be 3 year old. So far, I haven't gotten him immunized against ANYTHING. Every time I think about calling the dr about it, I start having all these imaginings about the toxins in the immunizations making him have a reaction, him somehow getting permanently ill from it, then I start thinking about how sick he'll get if he gets exposed to any germs because he HASN'T been immunized, and I try to come up with solutions, like getting just one shot at a time instead of 3 or 4 like they do now, and it freaks me out to think that I'd have to take him for so many different trips and would it make him fear doctors and if I do it, and he has a bad reaction, how upset I'll be for not having listened to my gut, which is probably more like anxiety. This goes on and on, and it's a scene I think of every day.

I also have an irrational fear of either of my children ever getting on a boat. Whenever anyone mentions this to me, it triggers a panic attack.

;) Just wanted to say.

Fearing shots is not an irrational thing. My 1st daughter had reactions to her shots and we had to halt them. She was almost fully immunized before we caught onto the problem. HOWEVER, I have still been getting shots for DD #2. We have a doctor who works with us and we do one shot at a time. We go every 2 months for a shot, which isnt really THAT often at all. We didnt start DD #2 shoots till she was about 18 months old. I wanted her to have time to build her immune system so if she did have a conflict with the shots, her reaction might not be as severe as DD #1. For a time we were seeing a fabulous pediatrician who believed in a dual approach. Everytime we got an immunization she also orally gave a holistic remedy to prevent reaction to the shots.. thuja (sp?) which may be called something else here.. the natural practioner on staff was from India and used different names for things. I think that you need to research and consider the pros and cons of shots. I did my research and decided that neither of my girls would recieve a MMR shot prior to age 3 just because of the debate over it tipping off autism. I dont think the shots cause it by any means but i think some people may be prone to autism and the shot may hit them at a developmentlly sensative time and send them spiraling off into their own universe. I DO think the prevention of these diseases is important. Ok im starting to ramble, my point is INFORM yourself. Also as of now you need to get your child a paper from your local county health offic basically pardoning him for not having shots b/c of religious or personal convictions. This will allow you to register your child for things like preschool, school and other activities without having completed shots. The boat thing i understand too..out beyond your control. Make sure your kids have had swim lessons. Even if they never set foot on a boat its an important skill and one that may help you feel more at ease. If you have a local YMCA they offer great ;lessons AND if you can not afford them you can apply for a scholarship Good luck

squillions of people survive immunization everyday......now i bet that advice was helpful...... ;)

Maybe get your partener, mother, brother, friend to organise the shots for him and stop thinking about it.

oh and i'm sure he's done a fine job of exposing himself to germs already... without any help from his mum.

Archived