CrazyBoards.org

Mania, Meds or something else?

I've been diagnosed BPII and I know all about changing moods.  But last night I had an experience that I've ever had before. I went to church praise team practice and had new and creative ideas on keyboard for the same old songs, all of which got a slew of compliments from the band.  Then when I came home I was super-hyper and just felt like I was thinking about a thousand things at once and really just wanted to start climbing the walls. 

I had a beer while watching Monday Night Football and was still feeling VERY awake after the game.  I then took some Seroquel and Trazodone to help bring on sleep.

Immediately after taking the meds I stepped outside for a smoke and that's when things started getting really weird. It was late at night & dark, but I was kind of seeing strange colors imprented on whatever I was looking at. I tried to walk around in the yard but had a heck of a time keeping my balance. I had this overwhelming urge to get in the car and take off driving, but had the presence of mind to realize that if I was seeing things and couldn't walk regularly, driving would be a bad idea. I came back inside and proceeded to the kitchen where I ate everything I could get my hands on and finally crawled into bed sometime in the middle of the night.

Today I feel positively awful, with one of the worst headaches of my life and absolutely no motivation to do any work at all.

My question is, was that full-blown but short-lived mania?  Did the meds I'm taking or the beer or something cause it or does it just happen sometimes?

Yesterdays meds were:

Morning- 100mg Lamictal & 40mg Paxil

Dinnertime-a little cough and could medicine and 600mg Neurontin

Late evening-single beer

Late night-50mg Seroquel and 150mg Trazodone.

Any insight would be appreciated. I see the p-doc on Friday.

Thanks,

-Elwood

Hi Elwood,

Do you take the cough and cold med often? Is it one of those that you have to get behind the counter now? (Or is that just a state thing?) If it's the non-drowsy kind, it could have added to your hypomanic condition. As far as seeing things, I have no idea.

Maybe your body was getting mixed messages what with the beer and the cold medicine. That's all I got, sorry.

GO COLTS!!!

Sam

Cold medicine was Nyquil.  I was coughing and sneezing like crazy and needed to get it under control before heading off to practice. The sleepy stuff was all I had but it definitely didn't slow me down!

Archived