CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
candy

visual equivalent to "nails on a chalkboard"

does anyone have any help with dealing with visual anxiety triggers? i don't know how to explain it but i have intense anxiety when i see certain things... kind of like when people hear nails on a chalkboard etc.. I struggled with it all through highschool and had to often go to the counselor during biology class because i get so anxious and sick when i see clusters of holes or circles etc. think fish eggs,spider eggs, honeycomb, mushrooms, cells, bone marrow, the frogs that lay eggs out of their back,etc. i finally figured out that it has a name (i don't know if its recognized as a legitimate phobia however)... Trypophobia. I am a young girl and out alot and its hard to see things that commonly occur in nature and physically throw up up or have goosebumps or want to pass out. recently there was a lice outbreak at my sisters elementary school and she didn't have them but i locked myself in my room because the thought of all the lice laying eggs in my hair physically made me sick.. does anyone have any experience with this type of anxiety/phobias?

I also have trypophobia among other "visual" phobias and the only thing that has been legitimately helpful on a longterm basis is medication. I know that's not what most people want to hear, and I'm sure that other people have better non-pharmaceutical solutions, but for me, that's what has helped and continues to help keep phobias and the subsequent panic at bay. What it does is dull my panic enough for me to consciously sort out what I might be thinking or doing that is encouraging the phobic behaviour, and from your description of your experience above, it seems like your anxiety is very severe, so I'm sure that you understand that feeling of not being able to calm down enough to think rationally. Have you ever done exposure therapy? Are you in therapy at all? Working with an individual therapist on this sort of thing can be immensely helpful. Maybe some sort of ERP program might help you.

yes i am! i have been seeing a therapist for over a year, but mainly because i had an ed, some personality disorders, bp, and lots of reckless behavior..etc. i am on a mix of medications for leveling out my emotions, and would really like to try and get rx for valium or xanax maybe (something solely for anxiety since i am already on ssris) but i am still quite young and scared she will think i am trying to scam for drugs! also i am sorry that you have similar issues but i am glad you have found something to help a bit!

I'm not on any benzos at all and I have never been because I have a history of substance abuse. For me, SSRIs have been immensely helpful with anxiety. Are you finding your SSRIs ineffective for anxiety? Maybe you can complement your SSRIs with another drug that is not a benzodiazepine if you're afraid of looking like you just want to get high. Benzos are highly addictive and I know that's why when you're younger they won't prescribe you them as willingly especially if you have a history of reckless behaviour, etc. 

For me it took a fairly high dosage of an SSRI before I started to feel the benefits. It was hard during that waiting period when my doctor was slowly increasing the dosage and I felt like nothing was helping, but my anxiety has gone down drastically over the past year.

At any rate, I would bring this up with your therapist and doctor to see what they think because it's certainly a big issue in your life right now and it needs to be addressed. No one deserves to suffer and it's best to try not to be shy and assert your worries and concerns (which I know is not as simple as its made out to be, I have an issue with self-assertion and feeling like doctors will just believe I'm looking for drugs or making excuses, and I know it's tough).

Edited by radicalfeminist

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By candi71
      I am so very lost, angry, hurt, depressed, explosive, and drowning.  I was put on latuda or my bipolar and depression acting up...  I hate new meds for this reason.  I started having my ptsd dreams again, ate everything in site and craved sugar omg terribly,  have been depressed, cant color which i love to do, just wanna sleep, explosive anger, crying jags, hate life, nothing makes me happy, everything just sucks.  Im so angry cause i feel like i did before i went on any meds, 20yr ago.  
      Im so confused i just feel like im grasping at air.. I was in the er the other night and they basically sent me home after giving my dose of larzapam i didn't take in the afternoon cause i doesn't help.  My theory of   it is it didn't help before the latuda what is gonna make it work coming off latuda or after off.. I remember why i drank now.. I didn't need to feel this then.. I want to drink so bad and wont cause I've been clean 6 yrs April will  be 7 and i worked to hard to get here and refuse to prove others right.  Im so so messed up i cant sleep cant watch TV cant color yet dont want to do any of the above either but if i dont sleep i hurt... has anyone felt this way..  It sux cause the battle to find meds to work will start tomorrow cause my liver doesn't process meds it flushes them out.. oh well sorry just needed to vent and hope someone can help
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Hi guys,
      just started Lithium yesterday. I know it can take several weeks to work, but I already feel it clearing my head a bit.
      question tho. Can lithium make anxiety worse in the beginning - like SSRI’s? Because I now find myself very panicky
      I am also on lexapro and mirtazapine. 
    • By Cyclingsarah
      Just wondering. I have a lot of anxiety and am startinh lithium for bipolar disorder in a few weeks
    • By PurplePaisley
      I was on Olanzapine for about one year and during that time I did excessive spending which may have caused  lowering impulse control and consequently am now in bankruptcy.
      Have been off Olanzapine since December, 2018.
      In March went on Seroquel and experienced manic situations, where I was out of control (never had this happen to me before). I became excessively hostile towards a clerk in Walgreens, reduced my veterinarian to tears and alienated alot of my neighbors by my raging.  We upped the Seroquel thinking I was having my first manic episode, it only made everything worse.  Since coming off of Seroquel in last two weeks, I am now calm and the urge to act out aggressively is gone and I am mortally embarrassed about my behaviors.
      New psych doc now, former one retired.  Started Reluxti two days ago at .5 mg.  First day experienced some brain zaps and thinking it might have been due to the mixing of recently going off of Seroquel and introducing Reluxti.  Today, no brain zaps.  Taking Benadryl to help with insomnia as Rexulti may become stimulating. 
      I know this is a very expensive drug and being on Medicare I do not qualify for any of the manufacturer's savings plans. My new psych doc believes he can keep me on his extra supplies forever or until they go generic.  I am worried about being on this drug and loosing him as a psychiatrist and ending up with a co-pay of $400.00 a month and ending up in the Medicare Donut-hole very quickly. The trial pack he gave me has a 14 day supply.
      I recently did a gene study thru GenOMind.  I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer and subject to many skin issues.  When I first saw him, he became very frustrated with me and didn't believe me that I can't tolerate most of the behavioral meds out there but once he got the gene study, he then understood.  The only drug he would suggest is Rexulti. 
      I am in a quandary as to what to do about going on this very expensive medication with no way of paying for this and getting stuck on this drug should I loose my new psych doc and his many samples.
      Purple

• By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 
      My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.
      I have tried every medication under the sun (well, mostly) 
      The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 
      Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite conservative  and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 
      Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused.