CrazyBoards.org

If you took Topamax before and you take it the second time, do you get the appetite suppression effect again?

Just curious....

I can't really tell myself if I'm getting it or not. I seem to eat the same as I did before I started it. But I can't really spot any appetite changes or not.

Before I started it, I took a mineral supplement called Chromium Picolinate, and it was causing me to gain weight because I was overeating in compensation for the Hypoglycemia that the Chromium left me with. CP was supposed to help burn fat and keep the muscle. Anyway, no matter how much I ate, I had symptoms of severe low blood sugar. After stopping CP, I seemed to start losing weight probably almost a week before starting Topamax and was already losing weight before getting to target dose. I'm still losing weight but it could be due to stopping the CP 2 months ago.

I took CP for 6-7 months starting in Feb and stopped it in end of Aug. When I took it, I seem to have more trouble with blood sugar, appetite/hunger. The health food store ladies said, I didn't need it and I wasn't deficient in it.

Hiya,

I'm guessing YMMV a lot here.  you might have that side effect again at the same dose, or a different one, who knows.. usually you'll end up with the same side effects tho

I'm not familiar with Chromium at all.  So you think you might've lost weight and appetite because you stopped CP, not because of Topamax?  I think I've gotten some appetite suppression from it at 75mg/day.  i'd say all the side effects are bizarre, but mild ;)

If you took Topamax before and you take it the second time, do you get the appetite suppression effect again?

Just curious....

I can't really tell myself if I'm getting it or not. I seem to eat the same as I did before I started it. But I can't really spot any appetite changes or not.

Before I started it, I took a mineral supplement called Chromium Picolinate, and it was causing me to gain weight because I was overeating in compensation for the Hypoglycemia that the Chromium left me with. CP was supposed to help burn fat and keep the muscle. Anyway, no matter how much I ate, I had symptoms of severe low blood sugar. After stopping CP, I seemed to start losing weight probably almost a week before starting Topamax and was already losing weight before getting to target dose. I'm still losing weight but it could be due to stopping the CP 2 months ago.

I took CP for 6-7 months starting in Feb and stopped it in end of Aug. When I took it, I seem to have more trouble with blood sugar, appetite/hunger. The health food store ladies said, I didn't need it and I wasn't deficient in it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm on Topamax for the second time and have experienced weight loss. I still have an appetite (I take 50 mg twice a day), but don't gain weight. I also take Wellbutrin XL, which also can cause weight loss. I take doxepin to sleep---and I notice it makes me crave sweets. Unfortunately the taste perversion Topamax sometimes causes does not make candy tast bad. I think I'm in for a very sugary 6 months---from now until Easter.

As for Chromium Picolinate---I think most reliable scientific studies have debunked the myth that it has any powers. To burn fat, you need to exercise aerobically. To burn it more efficiently, you need to have a larger store of lean muscle---which you can get from weight training.

There really is no "magic pill" for anything, I guess!

Diane B

I take 100mg of Topamax, ahve since Oct.2004...and I will go thru spurts of eating like a pig, then not feeling hungry at all. Yes, i have lost weight, I am one of those people....but not everyone gets that at all...and more than likely, your side effects will be the same second time around, but its just depends on who you are, your body, and how your body handles it.

Ive seen posts where people have completely lost their appetite, and then Ive seen posts where people say they cant stop eating....so its all about the unique chemistry set that we all are.

I'm taking Topamax at 50 mg twice a day (this is the first time I've been on it) and I haven't noticed any food side effects at all. It hasn't changed the taste of food, the amount of food that I eat, or my weight.  Damn, I never get the good side effects.  ;)

Right now, presently on Topamax, I still have an appetite. I still like eating and stuff. I enjoy food still.

But I don't eat huge amounts at one time anymore. I can stop after moderate amounts. I also don't crave foods as much.

Now, something I notice is I don't get as hungry at meals like I should at times.

But my appetite seems to have sorta always been like that, though, except maybe for the hunger at meals. Now, with Depakote, my appetite was huge and outta whack. But off meds, my appetite was very normal kinda as mentioned above.

So, with Topamax, I might just get only a little appetite suppression. I take 250mg.

Yes, Chromium Picolinate caused me hypoglycema, and I really overate/binged to compensate for it. I gained weight due to this. The health food store ladies told me it lowered my blood sugar severely because, I didn't need it and wasn't deficient in it.

well yes i have read all that stuff about its a one time shot thing like, if you take it once and youre one of those people to get the weight loss side effect and have to stop it for whatever reason - and then go back ON you probably wont get the effect. 

i am one of those people - and DID get the weight loss. 

initially, i could NOT eat at all.  the thought of eating was disgusting.  i had to time my eating...so that i wouldnt forget. atleast when im at work i have eating partners so i KNOW im going to eat lunch. 

initially, i lost 13lbs right off the bat. then it stopped at 150mg.

now that im at 300mg, my appetite has returned (not back to as big as it was before, mind you) but im still losing... now its gone down to approximately 21lbs in total.

so. i dunno how much more ill go down...hopefully not anymore.

i eat - but i get full extremely fast...

just my 2 cents.

ash

I also don't crave foods as much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if Topamax works similarly to suppress alcohol cravings. I know that it has been studied as such and has been successful. I know I drink far less than I used to. But a large part of that is because I'm afraid of getting sick from mixing medications and wine.

Diane B

I also don't crave foods as much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder if Topamax works similarly to suppress alcohol cravings. I know that it has been studied as such and has been successful. I know I drink far less than I used to. But a large part of that is because I'm afraid of getting sick from mixing medications and wine.

Diane B

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I know, it does help in alchohol suppression. Ive also heard others post that when theyve tried to drink on Topamax, they dont get the same effect from alchohol...while I HIGHLY DONT reccommend anyone drink while on AC's, as it could seriously mess you up...some meds and alchohol can be BAD.

Topamax can also help curb the urge to smoke, something I experienced when I first started Topamax, but my urge to smoke came back...dammit.

Archived