CrazyBoards.org

Seeing things out the corner of my eyes

I always think I see people at the corner of my eye until I take a second glance. This is fairly normal and the actual reason for it is because human beings are blind for a large portion of the day. A lot of what you actually "see" is from memory rather than from what's actually in front of you, and human memory is very unreliable. So as a result we see things that aren't actually there until we take a second look and pay attention properly.

Edit: I should note this doesn't mean everyone has psychosis but it does mean that even if you aren't experiencing it, you will probably still see things at the corner of your eye sometimes and that in itself isn't out of the ordinary.

Edited by Manic Maverick

I see this too. For a long time, I was seeing mice running around, and when I looked directly at them, they usually disappeared. Sometimes I saw them directly though. I also saw shadow people running around in my peripheral vision, and they would run around my feet. 

It's very annoying, isn't it?

I find it difficult to ignore the hallucinations. So, upping my Abilify was the only way to deal with it. 

This is fairly normal and the actual reason for it is because human beings are blind for a large portion of the day. A lot of what you actually "see" is from memory rather than from what's actually in front of you, and human memory is very unreliable.

Sorry, this sounds utterly bizarre to me.  Do you have any references where it expressly articulates that we are "blind for a large portion of the day" and "see from memory"?

Is this psychosis?? I mean I'm the only one who sees these animals. I asked the doc but she as very vague as I also had srep throat at the same tiime she put it gown to that, but weeks later I still see animlas

It could be psychosis. In my case, it is definitely psychosis. 

This is fairly normal and the actual reason for it is because human beings are blind for a large portion of the day. A lot of what you actually "see" is from memory rather than from what's actually in front of you, and human memory is very unreliable.

Sorry, this sounds utterly bizarre to me.  Do you have any references where it expressly articulates that we are "blind for a large portion of the day" and "see from memory"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_262395&feature=iv&src_vid=voAntzB7EwE&v=v3iPrBrGSJM.

Well if you know they're not "real" when you look at them, technically they're not hallucinations, they're illusions. So I guess technically it's not psychosis unless you have other symptoms. But it may be going in that direction.

I know when I was under a lot of stress and depressed I saw a lot of mice and other rodentia out of the corner of my eye and when I looked they were gone. I had one illusion that was a lot more dramatic than that - a glowing large animal . But since I knew it wasn't "real" - at least after a second - it was still an illusion. But yeah, I was not in a good mental state when it happened, so.

Well if you know they're not "real" when you look at them, technically they're not hallucinations, they're illusions. So I guess technically it's not psychosis unless you have other symptoms. But it may be going in that direction.

I know when I was under a lot of stress and depressed I saw a lot of mice and other rodentia out of the corner of my eye and when I looked they were gone. I had one illusion that was a lot more dramatic than that - a glowing large animal . But since I knew it wasn't "real" - at least after a second - it was still an illusion. But yeah, I was not in a good mental state when it happened, so.

I completely disagree. You can be psychotic and be aware of it. Although it can be very hard to not believe it is true (the hallucination or delusion).

It's called insight.

To the OP, best to tell your pdoc that you are still experiencing this and get her opinion on it rather than some random on the Internet. I wish you the best.

I completely disagree. You can be psychotic and be aware of it. Although it can be very hard to not believe it is true (the hallucination or delusion).

It's called insight.

Well, yeah it's a technicality. Especially if you're talking about the same underlying process - what does it matter? I was trying to get that across maybe unsuccessfully. People who hear voices can learn that they're not real, but still it's due to the schizophrenia or whatever. And yeah obviously they're symptoms that should be told to a pdoc. In my case a lot of illusions weren't really psychotic, but they weren't a good sign either. It was around the time that I was hospitalized.

But a key thing to remember is that illusions can happen without it being psychosis, if that's comforting at all. In fact they're not that uncommon in all sorts of disorders and stress. Same with paranoid thinking if it's not really delusional. Which is exactly why they might be waved off by a psychiatrist if you have no other indicators of psychosis. Not so much for true hallucinations and delusions.

For me it's a psychosis thing. My pdoc says that generally if there in the side of your eyes they are 'illusions' and not as bad as hallucinations that you can obviously see. I see orb things that grow with sound, like when it's noisy they're really big and they go away when it's quite. I don't really mind them so much.

• 2 years later...

Babetta, please do not make diagnoses. Crazyboards could get into a lot of trouble if non-doctors are making diagnoses. Besides, there could be more than one reason for any given symptom.

I used to always see my husband out of the corner of my eye when he wasn't even in the house. My pdoc said it was normal, but it wasn't constant. So I don't know what to say about seeing animals out of the corner of your eye if it is frequent. Since we are going back and forth on this thread as to whether this is normal, and this possible symptom seems to be bothering you, I'd mention it to your pdoc again.

Oh, and as Babetta suggested, you might want to get your thyroid checked.