CrazyBoards.org

Hey everyone,

I'm struggling.  Emotionally. 

I'm stressed, and I think that is the cause, along with a bunch of recent change (moving to different town, moving in with boyfriend(who is excellent, but brings up my men issues), graduate school).

So I've been handling it all pretty well...but I feel myself slipping...crying more....a recent drunken episode (on confessions thread).  Eating and exercise are getting harder, but I'm forcing myself. 

Basically, wondering if you have any tips to help me from going completely under.  I'm scared!

My husband was given a lot of ideas by his therapist (cognative behavior type things). Do you have a therapist? Might be time for a refresher visit. Until then, here is one of the things his therapist had him do....

Wear a rubber band on his wrist....and snap it when he engadged in negative thinking.

I like that idea.

Yes, I should have mentioned, I'm in therapy and on Zoloft.  And I'm doing the other things, calling family members for support to talk, etc.  I'm looking for practical tips to fight the feeling that all is doom.  Thanks wifezilla.

I am trying to remember some of the other things...but I am still half asleep.

There were a few writing exercises he did. Like listing positives and then going over the list when gloom and doom feelings hit.

Another biggie was exercise. Even if it was just walking. Of course, getting him going was a BIG problem (fight yell nag fight yell nag) but once he did, his mood did improve. You mentioned it was harder for you to exercise now, but it may be the thing you need to fight yourself to do the most.

Also, what about getting more sunlight? Even if you have not had SAD issues in the past, the extra sunlight may give you a little edge against the downturn. They have these full-spectrum florescents that fit into a regular light bulb socket at Walmart for $8. The light is this really neat blue tint. I put a couple in the house for hubby, who is definitely solar powered ;)

Mind,

The best way to keep yourself from slipping further into depression is to recognize the telltale signs for what they are and not tell yourself that it's just a little dip. And you're already doing that. Big point in your favor.

Get thee to thy doctor, woman. 50 mgs of Zoloft is a low dose. I don't know how long you've been stable on it, but sometimes depression can slip on through. There have been several people on these boards who have cut short another trip to depressionland by upping their ADs, even temporarily.

And, please don't be shy about talking to your doc. The first time that happened to me, I was too shy to go back to my doc and describe my minor slip. But I should have. Keeping yourself from falling all the way into the hole is a whole lot easier than climbing back out.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. We all take turns giving and getting support and we'll give you all you need.

Greeny

Hi Themind, welcome!

It can all sound so trite....but the basics are having a Pdoc and being honest about how you feel and how you are coping. having a Tdoc and being open about things, and doing silly things like gettin daily exercise, getting out into the sun, and not letting negative thoughts resonate and expand.

Projecting myself onto who I think you are, don't minimize your difficulties and feelings to the Pdoc and Tdoc.  They need to know just how poorly you feel and and how it is affectin you.

Don't give up, keep struggling towards the light.

A.M.

I cannot thank you guys enough.

It feels so comforting to know that others out there know what I am talking about.  Thank god for technology.

I woke up feeling very rough this morning...but I will put these suggestions to use. 

Again, thanks for being so supportive.

-Try to get out of the house, at least for a few minutes, early in the day. If it's bright out, try REALLY HARD to do this.

-I concor re exercise

-Take a couple of minutes every day and record the productive things you've been doing. I don't just mean academics, but any activity that advances your well being, like exercising, cleaning, eating healthier, and, of course, studying. Keep the record someplace where you can see it. Perhaps on a file that your web browser opens to, or on a white board on a wall someplace?

-Don't beat up on yourself. It doesn't help. Don't tell yourself that you SHOULD do something, or that you are worthless if you don't. Tell yourself "I CHOOSE" to do whatever it is you want to do.

-Don't bite off more than you can chew. Pick a few things to deal with and drop anything that isn't important unless it's helping you. Pick things that have a relatively large payoff for you in comparision to the effort required. Try not to put too much on your to do list. If your course load is high, try to drop anything that isn't important.

-Eat well. Veggies, protein, fiber, all that stuff. Avoid simple carbs. Not only will it make you feel better, but you'll feel better because you are taking care of yourself. And, pick things that taste good. Sensual pleasure is not going to hurt you now.

-If it doesn't set off your issues with men, see if you can get your boyfriend to cuddle often, or give you a massage. (Doesn't hurt for you to give him one either.) Affectionate physical contact with another person can help your feelings.

-Try to avoid flipping out, unless you are in the middle of the street and you need to dodge a bus. I know this is hard, but maybe if you keep it in mind it may help. Fight or flight is only useful if you need to fight or flee. If you have time, think about whether you will care much about it in a week or a year. If not, try to let it go.

Another biggie was exercise. Even if it was just walking. Of course, getting him going was a BIG problem (fight yell nag fight yell nag) but once he did, his mood did improve. You mentioned it was harder for you to exercise now, but it may be the thing you need to fight yourself to do the most.

Also, what about getting more sunlight? Even if you have not had SAD issues in the past, the extra sunlight may give you a little edge against the downturn. They have these full-spectrum florescents that fit into a regular light bulb socket at Walmart for $8. The light is this really neat blue tint. I put a couple in the house for hubby, who is definitely solar powered ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wifezilla, can you come to my house and hassle me to exercise and go outside?  I could so use that right now.

Just knowing what it's like down here is a deterrent.

Pervasive darkness and gloom, a chilly clamminess that will. not. go. away, the constant drizzle of fish dung, and the slime... oh, God, the slime ...

And Edward's not the most scintillating conversationalist, either.

LasiognathusSaccostoma.jpg

Edward

Cerberus

Archived