CrazyBoards.org

Unconcious Scratching

A friend of mine recently saw a doctor about a long standing problem she's had. Since her teen years she's had an itch on the inside of her vulva. She used to scratch it till the skin in the spot was thickened or scabbed. She saw doctors, who said there was no medical reason for the itch (it's all in her head). She broke herself of scratching during the day, but she still did it while she was asleep. She's tried anti-itch creams, wearing gloves, etc. She finally stopped herself altogether for a few months, and the area at that point looked normal, but still itched.

The shrink she saw recently said it was ocd. The thing is, however, that it really itches. I mean, maybe they can't see a reason for the itching, but she definitely perceives it as itching (otherwise why in the sleep?), so to me that doesn't sound like ocd, and she doesn't agree it's ocd either. Neither of us have experience in this arena though.

Any thoughts from those more knowledgable? She's thinking now about trying hynotism. Thanks for reading.

A friend of mine recently saw a doctor about a long standing problem she's had. Since her teen years she's had an itch on the inside of her vulva. She used to scratch it till the skin in the spot was thickened or scabbed. She saw doctors, who said there was no medical reason for the itch (it's all in her head). She broke herself of scratching during the day, but she still did it while she was asleep. She's tried anti-itch creams, wearing gloves, etc. She finally stopped herself altogether for a few months, and the area at that point looked normal, but still itched.

The shrink she saw recently said it was ocd. The thing is, however, that it really itches. I mean, maybe they can't see a reason for the itching, but she definitely perceives it as itching (otherwise why in the sleep?), so to me that doesn't sound like ocd, and she doesn't agree it's ocd either. Neither of us have experience in this arena though.

Any thoughts from those more knowledgable? She's thinking now about trying hynotism. Thanks for reading.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mr. Emmalyn,

You and your friend do not have any medical expertise in this area and I don't

either. However...

I have to wonder if your friend in some way is not suffering from what is commonly called "phantom pain". Or... Maybe some type stress disorder and the "itching & scratching" could be over flow... The mind can always cause the body to physically react.

I suppose if questions regarding adolescent vaginal trauma or sexuality have

not been asked... you may want too.

For example:

During her adolescent years, did she ever experience some type of (small or large) trauma area near or around the vaginal area? Any type of vaginal discomfort...?(rape, date rape, a prolonged or treatment delayed yeast infection, ect....)

During that same time period, did she ever experience guilt or was made to feel guilty about her sexuality? (Parents... regarding dating or over all change into womanhood... personal feeling or experiences)

Also, is it possible she could have some type of allergy that the vaginal skin is reacting too?  What types of soaps? I suppose it is possible to be allergic to semen.

Anyways

Mr. Emmalyn,

either. However...

I have to wonder if your friend in some way is not suffering from what is commonly called "phantom pain". Or... Maybe some type stress disorder and the "itching & scratching" could be over flow... The mind can always cause the body to physically react.

For example:

During her adolescent years, did she ever experience some type of (small or large) trauma area near or around the vaginal area? Any type of vaginal discomfort...?(rape, date rape, a prolonged or treatment delayed yeast infection, ect....)

During that same time period, did she ever experience guilt or was made to feel guilty about her sexuality? (Parents... regarding dating or over all change into womanhood... personal feeling or experiences)

Also, is it possible she could have some type of allergy that the vaginal skin is reacting too?  What types of soaps? I suppose it is possible to be allergic to semen.

Anyways

Mr. Emmalyn,

either. However...

For example:

Anyways

Archived