Anyone else forced off of benzos?

If so how did you cope without them? I told my doc i was taking 4-5 of my .5 mg pills which isn't much and he said im developing tolerance and better stop now before it gets worse. So my go to pill is gone. He said I just gotta go with the flow instead of popping pills. I have been feeling better lately but I am always reluctant to change. I know i'm not going to die or anything without them but ativan seemed to work well when i'm stressed.

I wouldn't stop taking the benzos cold turkey; I'd wean down on them.  There are side effects that could be serious (in some people) by doing so. 

Does your pdoc have you on a weaning off schedule (for lack of better words; I cant remember the word I am looking for) so you don't risk the side effects of withdrawal from stopping cold turkey?

I wouldn't stop taking the benzos cold turkey; I'd wean down on them.  There are side effects that could be serious (in some people) by doing so. 

Does your pdoc have you on a weaning off schedule (for lack of better words; I cant remember the word I am looking for) so you don't risk the side effects of withdrawal from stopping cold turkey?

Well I wasn't taking it everyday. So I guess he thought it was okay to just stop cold turkey. I'd take the ativan like every now and then sometimes 2-3 times a week or once a week.

I strongly encourage you to take a look at doing some work with a skilled therapist. There's a lot of evidence to support the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety, as well as dialectical behavioral skills, mindfulness based stress reduction, and acceptance and commitment therapy.

I USED to take benzos, but they refused to give them to me (last med change) because of a history of substance abuse.

I was really pissed at first, but got over it quickly. I learned I don't need them, so I kind of just moved on. 

I have to agree with Indigo. Therapy is the best way to get through it. 

I just got out of IP where they refused to give me the Xanax ordered by my (retired) pdoc, they said "you aren't on Xanax" and I said, "Why do I have a bottle from Dr A in my purse, with the same everything as all my meds."

I didn't think you could go into withdrawal so fast.

Yup, I went thru the worst withdrawals in IP for xanax...I was on 1 mg four times a day. and the only thing they would give me was topamax and it was the worst experience and, I had started to go thru a psychotic break it was so bad.....After so many tries to tell them I was suffering...I finally said let me out and I had my xanax with me in there pharmacy and when I got into the car I popped a pill and it hit within 5 minutes and everything outside of there was like holloweenish and very dark..I knew I was on the edge of a meltdown but, since I got out of there when I did. I got better.